Star Trek coming to Universal? | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Trek coming to Universal?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
as someone who is Not a star trek fan (but know enough because of memes lol)
star trek is much... much more popular than jimmy fallon or Bourne.... (most people i know dont watch or care about either one, if anything some people dont even know who jason bourne is. do people outside usa know jimmy fallon?)
almost everyone knows what star trek is. around the globe.
i still cannot believe that fallon has i ride lol. i cant believe it.
Jimmy isn’t the IP though. He’s known because of the Tonight Show. The show itself has less of a cache than Carson’s era, is still a reputable IP. If this was the 90’s, every midwestern mom would know who Jay Leno was.

Also, one ride is a simulator and the other is a show. So I think they are both good examples of what ST could support as an experience.

Wow didn't realize Star Trek is so niche? Love Star Trek! All my college friends, guys and girls know Star Trek! My family grew up watching Star Trek with our uncles. "live long and prosper!" Beam me up, Scotty! I am 37 years old though. Thought everybody has seen a Star Trek movie. lol. So out of touch of what is popular. Never seen Zelda, or sponge bob, which everyone seems to love!

Wow didn't realize Star Trek is so niche? Love Star Trek! All my college friends, guys and girls know Star Trek! My family grew up watching Star Trek with our uncles. "live long and prosper!" Beam me up, Scotty! I am 37 years old though. Thought everybody has seen a Star Trek movie. lol. So out of touch of what is popular. Never seen Zelda, or sponge bob, which everyone seems to love!
When reading these Forum threads, it's always wise to consider the demographics of the vast majority of posters here. Mostly late teens, twenty somethings, male. So it's not really representative of the general public. One reason coasters get so much love here. These are certainly fun discussions, the posters here are mostly courteous and friendly, but the opinions and likes expressed aren't necessarily same as the GP.

When reading these Forum threads, it's always wise to consider the demographics of the vast majority of posters here. Mostly late teens, twenty somethings, male. So it's not really representative of the general public. One reason coasters get so much love here. These are certainly fun discussions, the posters here are mostly courteous and friendly, but the opinions and likes expressed aren't necessarily same as the GP.
Yeah, it's worth keeping in mind that every Chris Pine Star Trek movie made more than $350 million. it's not Star Wars by any means, but there's certainly an audience — particularly going back a generation or two.

A complication with the theme park application of Star Trek is that you're kind of limited in terms of the sort of attractions that would really make sense. You'd want to capture the excitement and thrill of a space battle, so basically the ideal Trek ride would be Star Tours. But doing "just" another simulator seems like a pretty tired idea at this point.

Another wrinkle is deciding which Star Trek property to base the attraction around. Do the newer stuff, and you risk turning off the fans who don't like the new Trek stuff (like me, for example!). Do the older stuff, and you'll be accused of being out of date/touch.

I would love to see Star Trek make it into the parks, but it's tricky. I also think anything they'd do would end up being compared to Star Trek: The Experience from Las Vegas, which was pretty much perfect.

A complication with the theme park application of Star Trek is that you're kind of limited in terms of the sort of attractions that would really make sense. You'd want to capture the excitement and thrill of a space battle, so basically the ideal Trek ride would be Star Tours. But doing "just" another simulator seems like a pretty tired idea at this point.

Another wrinkle is deciding which Star Trek property to base the attraction around. Do the newer stuff, and you risk turning off the fans who don't like the new Trek stuff (like me, for example!). Do the older stuff, and you'll be accused of being out of date/touch.

I would love to see Star Trek make it into the parks, but it's tricky. I also think anything they'd do would end up being compared to Star Trek: The Experience from Las Vegas, which was pretty much perfect.
Yes, Star Trek the Experience was pretty much perfect. And, you didn't have to be a Star Trek fan to enjoy the experience. ...Seems like RotR borrowed a lot from that, except for the trackless portion.

Ok that makes more sense. Thanks for sharing!

Have to agree it would be difficult to do a ride based on Star Trek! Must say I would rather visit other planets (Andoria, Risa, Vulcan) rather than just stay in space, which would be hard to do.
Never got to experience Star Trek the experience. First made it to Las Vegas the year it closed. I heard great things though!

Reactions: belloq87
20-something male here. I've only ever known Star Trek as Star Wars for nerds haha. What my brain thinks of regarding the IP is the Enterprise, the jumpsuits, the Phaser guns, beam me up scotty, Red Shirts always die, Pigs in Space, and RedLetterMedia.

Star Trek is a notable franchise and could make for a fine basis for a theme park attraction, but it also hits beats already done by Universal and Disney already. Simulators, action stunt shows, etc. I don't think a Star Trek RotR could even possibly hit as well as the current Star Wars one already has and does.

I don't mean offense to anyone who enjoys the property, it's probably got some great material, but it's just never interested me.

I day dream about a Star Trek trackless dark ride and a scene where the ride vehicles circle the Borg Queen as she drops from the ceiling......lol.

Reactions: soilsigh
I'm 20 years old and I've never seen a Star Trek episode or movie lol, but I've known about Star Trek since I was a little kid. I just gravitated towards Star Wars.

Even with that said, I would still be excited for a Star Trek attraction. Doesn't matter what the IP is, if it's an enjoyable attraction, I'm happy.

Yes, Star Trek the Experience was pretty much perfect. And, you didn't have to be a Star Trek fan to enjoy the experience. ...Seems like RotR borrowed a lot from that, except for the trackless portion.

Fully agreed, for me the Klingon Encounter still remains one of the best themed attractions outside of a major theme park. And the transporter effect that was a part of it? One of the GOAT's, period. It still irks me how much Disney botched their attempt at that effect in GotG: Cosmic Rewind in practically every way with zero wow factor.

Borg Invasion 4-D, not quite as good as the film was pretty anticlimactic, but still enjoyable. The best part was hands down everything leading up to the theater/film, as it turned into a Borg haunted house with some cool jumpscares and effects including a Borg popping out from the ceiling and yanking a crew member up into it.

I'm 20 years old and I've never seen a Star Trek episode or movie lol, but I've known about Star Trek since I was a little kid. I just gravitated towards Star Wars.

Even with that said, I would still be excited for a Star Trek attraction. Doesn't matter what the IP is, if it's an enjoyable attraction, I'm happy.

EDIT: I WAS TALKING ABOUT TNG!!

You used to be able to watch the amazing HD transfer of Star Trek The Next Generation on Netflix but that's gone now. Maybe it's on Peacock?

Anyway, the first season DRAGS so bad and the writers didn't really figure out the characters till mid-way through season 2, but after that it's one of my favorite shows of all time.\

Last edited:
Anyway, the first season DRAGS so bad and the writers didn't really figure out the characters till mid-way through season 2, but after that it's one of my favorite shows of all time.\
Surely you're talking about THE NEXT GENERATION, right? I'd certainly agree that it doesn't find its footing until deep into the second season.

THE ORIGINAL SERIES, though, was excellent from very early on. Some of its best episodes are in its first season, including "The City on the Edge of Forever," which is not only probably the very best TREK episode of all... but it's one of the greatest episodes of television ever, too.

I'd argue Trek is a much more appropriate property for a RotR style ride then Star Wars. While the existing attraction is impressive, it has major problems at the conceptual level - it misses the things that make Star Wars special and that fans want to experience. Mystical space wizards; WWII-style space battles; weird, often non-humanoid aliens; fantastical, wildly varied planets - that's Star Wars. What we get in RotR are intentionally antiseptic, unvaried settings and a bunch of human AAs. Very few folks watching Star Wars ever thought, "boy, the thing I want to do most is wander around a Star Destroyer."

In sharp contrast, a vast number of Trek fans want to hang out on the Enterprise and meet the crew, and that's what an RotR-style ride can provide. Which crew? That's trickier, but not as much as it might seem. You have three crews that continue to have cultural relevance - original series, Next Gen, and Chris-Pine-Verse. In an EU-sized land, two groups could get rides and the third could be represented elsewhere, perhaps in the restaurant.

Another major consideration here is merch. Trek is second only to Potter in being an IP ideally designed to sell souvenirs. Unlike franchises like SW and LotR, the goods in Trek are mass-produced and signify a particular social role rather then an individual identity - a Trek uniform functions much like a Potter school robe. You're not dressing like Hermione or Riker, you're dressing like YOU were actually immersed in the fictional world. With phasers, you also have a single type of item that has had many iterations featured in the various versions of the franchise, akin to wands and sabres. I can easily see a future in which Uni is full not only of folks in flowing wizard robes and scarves but of folks in various kinds of Starfleet uniform as well.

I have too much body shame to wear the Star Trek uniform. :lol:

Other than that I totally agree. Now that I've read your post a ST attraction practically writes it's self for a modern Universal attraction.

You start out with a simple mission to ride in a shuttle craft to get some sensor readings on a Federation community day or something like that. Whoops the Borg attack. Bingo bango bongo, the Simpsons ride has been replaced.

Very few folks watching Star Wars ever thought, "boy, the thing I want to do most is wander around a Star Destroyer."

In sharp contrast, a vast number of Trek fans want to hang out on the Enterprise and meet the crew
The top thing SW fans wanted to do was hang out on/fly the Milennium Falcon - and that was built.