Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 668 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Also, with short operating hours and Velocicoaster now running inefficiently... what time do you have to complain about guest services? lol

Universal has already made up its mind. There were a ridiculous amount of survey takers at the park this past week (Antojitos, Park Entrances, Richters) ... except at Kong.
We didn't spend much time at IOA on our vacation. Probably less than 7 total hours for the week. With Velocicoaster running fewer trains and it's subsequent lines as long as Hagrids, we skipped both attractions. I refuse to wait in lines that long. Even Hippogriff had real long lines during one of the slower weeks of the season. And it not being hot enough for water rides. Plus Kong's horrendous state and no more Poseidon's Fury. Plus no meaningful entertainment. Bottom line, there wasn't much left to do in the park, so we spent almost all of our time in Studios. It was weird, like the world upside down, with the Studios being the more entertaining of the two parks, considering the seasonal aspect of staying away from water rides and the un acceptingly too long lines on the coasters.....Can't wait for Epic to open, and see some balance return to the existing parks.

Last edited:
Interesting how Kong is placed in the "thrill" category on the app now. UNI is lowering intensity on what they consider to be one IOA's thrill rides? How is their intent thrill on this attraction? Do they want it to fall into a family demographic? If so, why are they branding it as such? Not sure why JP/JW couldn't have used this space in the first place.

Interesting how Kong is placed in the "thrill" category on the app now. UNI is lowering intensity on what they consider to be one IOA's thrill rides? How is their intent thrill on this attraction? Do they want it to fall into a family demographic? If so, why are they branding it as such? Not sure why JP/JW couldn't have used this space in the first place.
Tear it down and replace it with the Beijing Jurassic World ride.

Removing 3D doesn't really change the intensity of the attraction. They probably have it in the thrill category because children are pretty scared by the queue + all the other spooky stuff and the simulated movements in the 360 scene can be pretty rough.

Thought I’d chime in.
Last 2 times I’ve been on Kong the ride “broke” during the Tunnel. So I’ve called this attraction “cursed”
I’ve only ridden once with the outdoor portion, and it’s probably the best part of the ride. There is tremendous build up until you are actually in the show building and realize it’s just a bunch of screens.
The 3D makes the ride more immersive, So without it , I’m not sure I’ll even go on it.
The final AA is cool but feels completely tacked on as if it belongs to a different ride.
Going from a screen to AA doesn’t work in this case, since they really don’t look alike.

On another note :
Almost all of the attractions in IOA need some serious refurb. It really feels that once the attraction is complete , it’s a slow decline, and UOR never keeps these rides
operating at their full potential due to budget, which is a real shame.
Can you imagine if UOR had an attraction like Pirates that was super old?

I’ll make sure to enjoy Epic universe while the paint is still wet.

Putting Kong under Thrill is a weird choice as, while a "darker" ride in it's theming/storyline/queue, it's one of few attractions for the entire family to experience at IOA. I don't think they need to label rides as Thrill, 3D/4D, etc. anymore, just put a caution symbol for anything intense.

Reactions: BuschAfrica
It's called Jurassic Park River Adventure & when it breaks down, the dinosaurs eat the tourists!

River adventure was by far the worst operating attraction the last time I went. You can knock Disney , but they sure keep some of those old rides like Pirates and Mansion in great working order.

As expected. Pre ordained results test.....Sad.
Yup. Just despicable they are pulling the wool over our eyes with this “test period”
We all knew it but still disappointing nonetheless. 3d gone forever. Once they said they had recorded new audio that was the sign they weren’t going back. The no surveys on ride exit was second thing setting this scheme in stone. At least get the outside working and this attraction will have some dignity.

This is super sad news. Why design a ride to operate with 3D, then believe you can remove it and have an attraction that operates just as well? Once you design something to operate one way, it NEVER replicates the same experience when you remove core tenets of it's design.

This reeks of a non-creative executive using their power, butting into operations and creative decisions who are completely clueless.

It's either that, or they are pulling a "Dragon Challenge" and preparing for it's inevitable closure.

The fact is no one here (to my knowledge) knows exactly what happens and the reasons given behind closed doors. They made a 3D ride for the sake of having 3D. Then things changed. Unfortunate as it is, the “world” isn’t ending. And a change like this doesn’t have to mean the absolute worst.

Do things look rough? Yeah, a little bit they are building a world class new theme park at break neck speed. In the long run, things should be…hopefully…fine.

It's either that, or they are pulling a "Dragon Challenge" and preparing for it's inevitable closure.
This is what would frustrate me. They have an entire land sitting empty waiting for Link and Zelda but they somehow feel the need to mess with Kong.

I wouldn’t say Kong is the world’s greatest attraction but it was certainly good enough with 3D and the outdoor section. Now would just seem like a weird time for them to phase it out when they have an entire land offline waiting for its replacement to come

But hey in a perfect world they’d close it, bring Kong back to studios to replace FnF, and build JWA in its place at islands ;)