Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 664 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Just for discussion sake:

What if they fix the outdoor part, but the ride is still 2D - fair trade? Or still wanna replace?
Tbh, I could care less if the 3D aspect is removed. All I really care about is the outdoor portion of the attraction, which makes Skull Island unique when compared to the rest of the resort.

Wanting to replace the attraction because it's not 3D anymore would be nuts.

Just for discussion sake:

What if they fix the outdoor part, but the ride is still 2D - fair trade? Or still wanna replace?
If it were happening soon*, I'd take it (but wouldn't love it).

*This calendar year, say.

Wanting to replace the attraction because it's not 3D anymore would be nuts.
I mean, it sounds like the first two screen scenes have been pretty damaged by the change. They should re-render/re-animate the entire ride film in a way that is meant for 2D presentation. I doubt they're going to do that.

So it looks like 2D is going to be permanent on this ride huh?

That is extremely unfortunate. I'm not advocating hard for screenz rides by any means, but when you design rides that are meant to be in 3D (Lookin at you Minions), and you take that away....that is really pathetic. This is the kind of cost-cutting I would expect at Disney, not Universal.

I'm telling you, they'll be coming for Spiderman next.

It sounds like this ride, along with other rides down the line (Ratatouille for example) are "testing" this, but in reality, it's a change that's coming short of any extremely damaging reactions from guests. And by damaging, I don't mean survey scores, but many people actively upset and going to guest services (which does not sound like it's happening).

I know we live in a society where financials are everything, but it really does upset me that pride in the final product seems to take a backseat to revenue in a larger way now. Rewind 20 years ago and Disney/Universal would never compromise a major ride to save a few bucks or out of convenience. Now it seems commonplace.

This is the kind of cost-cutting I would expect at Disney, not Universal.
We've seen WDW cut back on entertainment, but where/what have we seen them cut from an attraction? They like seasonal closures, but has there been any attraction significantly impacted by a budget-friendly move? Genuine question, not trying to start a debate lol

With that said... these Kong changes are really dispiriting. Talk about a fall from grace.
Yeah, it now leads to a slippery slope of potential cost cutting initiatives elsewhere. Not saying it'll happen, but it's easy to see someone say "Hey, we did it once before, let's do it again!"

I mean, it sounds like the first two screen scenes have been pretty damaged by the change. They should re-render/re-animate the entire ride film in a way that is meant for 2D presentation. I doubt they're going to do that.
I actually 100% agree that Universal should re-render/re-animate the ride film. But even without that fix, the removal of 3D isn't gonna determine whether I ride it or not.

The absence of the outdoor portion will.

We've seen WDW cut back on entertainment, but where/what have we seen them cut from an attraction? They like seasonal closures, but has there been any attraction significantly impacted by a budget-friendly move? Genuine question, not trying to start a debate lol
Everest has been the biggest example, so far. The belief for a while was "Well, it's the park's marquee attraction. They need to open more stuff before closing". It's been 6 years since Pandora so I don't think that was the case. lol

Other examples... GMR - they wouldn't have the cowboy scene during slower seasons. Space Mt would only load one side. Never finished the SSE finale. Old Test Track had lots of issues that weren't fixed until they Tronified it. Way back when - The Living Seas cut the cabs before it eventually came back as Nemo. Those are off the top of my head - I'd really have to sit and think.

I believe RNRC's problems now are due to a cheap refurb instead of a proper refurb.

EDIT: Stitch's Great Escape was just shuttered because of poor GSATs. Been closed since 2018.

Last edited:
Everest has been the biggest example, so far. The belief for a while was "Well, it's the park's marquee attraction. They need to open more stuff before closing". It's been 6 years since Pandora so I don't think that was the case. lol

Other examples... GMR - they wouldn't have the cowboy scene during slower seasons. Space Mt would only load one side. Never finished the SSE finale. Old Test Track had lots of issues that weren't fixed until they Tronified it. Way back when - The Living Seas cut the cabs before it eventually came back as Nemo. Those are off the top of my head - I'd really have to sit and think.

I believe RNRC's problems now are due to a cheap refurb instead of a proper refurb.

EDIT: Stitch's Great Escape was just shuttered because of poor GSATs. Been closed since 2018.
Fair, but I also don't think they've ever specifically removed a vital portion of an attraction in an effort to cut costs permanently.

Fair, but I also don't think they've ever specifically removed a vital portion of an attraction in an effort to cut costs permanently.
Well, nothing will ever be permanent. I'm sure before each eventual replacement - everyone thought the same thing as y'all do about Kong, too. :lol: I remember the SeaCabs being a huge issue when it was first cut. The most comparable is the Yeti - and we already went down that rabbit hole.. haha

I mean this is one of the most visited theme parks in the world. It should have both 3D and the outdoor scene.
Not disagreeing. Just asking if they had to have one or the other - which would it be.

Reactions: SeventyOne

Yeah, it now leads to a slippery slope of potential cost cutting initiatives elsewhere. Not saying it'll happen, but it's easy to see someone say "Hey, we did it once before, let's do it again!"
I think both parks have cut back on stuff. Each example of one park you could probably find a comparable example at the other. Yeti = outside of kong, entertainment cuts in both parks, Stitch shuttered = PF shuttered, etc.

Where was this anti-3D craze when they were adding a crap ton of 3D rides/attractions at the parks (not just Universal/Disney)

Outdoor segment is much more vital to the Kong segment than the 3D is. Personally I'm almost disappointed they didn't leave the JP arch on that side of the island & just add audio of Ian Malcolm saying "What do they got in there? King Kong?"

it won't happen but, if they wanted to cut the outdoor track permanently, then retool that area to be a KONG meet-n-greet or something. Banana stand. Barrel of monkeys midway game or flat ride. lol just don't waste the space.

then retool that area to be a KONG meet-n-greet or something. Banana stand. Barrel of monkeys midway game or flat ride. lol just don't waste the space.
You just described the Donkey Kong land.

EDIT: Not disagreeing with anyone, by the way. I am curious why you'd even lead with the pretense of surveys unless you wanted to somehow telegraph, whether this was true or not, that the change was actually precipitate by some measurable impact on guest satisfaction rather than on cost.