Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 655 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Just had the pleasure of experiencing 2D Kong. It's clearly worse. The screen scenes feel so much smaller and less substantial without the Depth that the glasses gave, and the added peripheral vision shows all of the seams and unthemed edges the ride doesn't bother to hide otherwise. There was also a strange ghosting effect, I assume remnants of the 3D animation, during some major animated segments like the Dino Chase and the Kong VS Rex scene. Bad bad baaaaaad.

Frankly, the GP won't notice though. I hope this is not the future of the attraction. Might end up being my last time riding for awhile. It's been rather busy all day and it's just not worth the wait at all anymore.

I’d argue this and f&f don’t need 3D where as spider-man and transformers it’s essential. I don’t think the average guest is gonna skip this because it’s not 3D. The only good part is the last 20 seconds either way.

I would be curious to see Spider-Man in 2D to see how the squinching effect works without 3D.

It would be similar to this:

Skip to 2mins 28.

Right now, no
Right now? I am not wondering if we ever get the outdoor section back. It sounds like it would require large downtime and with less rides in the park with an entire section down I don't know how they manage this.

I re-rode Minons last year, and yeah at this point just replace with something. Villain con would be better with 3D glasses (but the prepping section would be a mess), Fallon would also benefit from it…

I understand actors missing from the queque, but the outdoor section helped on the cool factor

Ik that Universal has the ‘3D attraction’ stigma, and I’m starting to miss it and seeing them as going cheap.
It actually has a screen stigma, so taking away the 3D doesn't solve anything. People always complain about screens.
Don't shoot the messenger, but I have a few IoA ride ops friends and they've talked to me in the past about how the cleaning machine for the Kong 3D glasses breaks down fairly often, and they have repeatedly had to drive a truck, full of dirty glasses, down to Spider-Man to actually clean them. Maybe that has something to do with the change as well.
Sorry, I have zero sympathy that they had to drive a little down the way to clean glasses. Now if this is to fix the issue, cool, otherwise this is a really bad move.

Side note 360 stinks with or with out 3D in my opinion. Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think anyone was upset losing the glasses on f&f.

Reactions: Wesker69
Sorry, I have zero sympathy that they had to drive a little down the way to clean glasses.
As someone whose had to clean 3D glasses at both movie theater jobs (Chinese Theatre & Regal), I feel bad for them having to cross the Lagoon of Toon (well... behind it). Lugging those glasses anywhere is not fun.

Whats worse is when you have to clean them by hand... or after they're done "drying", you still have to spray them down & wipe them to get rid of water spots..

Don’t build a 3D based, screen heavy ride, if you are not going to maintain and run it the way it was designed and built, the end.

Otherwise prioritize fully immersive, set based experiences.

Do the blasters from Minions go through the same cleaning procedure?

As someone whose had to clean 3D glasses at both movie theater jobs (Chinese Theatre & Regal), I feel bad for them having to cross the Lagoon of Toon (well... behind it). Lugging those glasses anywhere is not fun.

Whats worse is when you have to clean them by hand... or after they're done "drying", you still have to spray them down & wipe them to get rid of water spots..
Yeah, I sympathize with the employees who need to go through all of that hassle in order to close up each night. I have dramatically less sympathy to the park management potentially deciding that completely removing the 3D from a 3D simulator is a suitable alternative to repairing or replacing the current cleaning system.

In all likelihood, it's probably much bigger than just the cleaning issue, but I'm sure it doesn't help.

With how projection and screen tech has improved like in the new Jurassic World attraction at USB or DWT at USH, I think 3D glasses as a whole are outdated in attractions going forward. I think some attractions like Web Slingers feel dated for using them.

Reactions: Wesker69
I will say that it's very humorous to see all the opinions on the removal. While some are glad for the change, I'd say a majority is either "Bring it back!" or "The ride sucked anyway, replace it!".
This is funny I’ll never forget how happy I was to have Kong back at the resort and trying to force myself to like this ride more than I did.

Reactions: SeventyOne
This is funny I’ll never forget how happy I was to have Kong back at the resort and trying to force myself to like this ride more than I did.

I think some people will always have a soft spot for the OG Kong and judge the new one against it - for better or worse

Skull Island def isn't perfect (ignoring the recent issues) but I think is a lot better than what people usually say about it. IOA doesn't have a lot of heavy screen use - so I also don't think it's fair to apply the "another screen ride" trope in this scenario.

Sure - but this ride was designed with 3D in mind so...
You say designed, I say a cheap alternative to shut us up about the Kongfrontation return post-fire... just wait until Universal brings back the Jaws Ride, but licenses it to SeaWorld Orlando... JAWS 3D: A New Dimension of Terror

(....and at least Hollywood's KONG attraction was used in The Wizard!!)

Reactions: biggerboat16
I will say that it's very humorous to see all the opinions on the removal. While some are glad for the change, I'd say a majority is either "Bring it back!" or "The ride sucked anyway, replace it!".
I think if they’re not going to ever run it as intended again (ie no outside and removed 3D if this “test” is “successful”) then I’d rather they remove the ride.

It’s a GREAT ride. I think it’s probably the most underrated ride at the resort as-designed. But no 3D and no outside ever again potentially?

Just demolish it and see if you can fit Jurassic World Adventure there somehow

I think if they’re not going to ever run it as intended again (ie no outside and removed 3D if this “test” is “successful”) then I’d rather they remove the ride.

It’s a GREAT ride. I think it’s probably the most underrated ride at the resort as-designed. But no 3D and no outside ever again potentially?

Just demolish it and see if you can fit Jurassic World Adventure there somehow
I’m more confident in the outdoor scene returning than 3D. There are plans to fix the outdoor scene. When they get to it, who knows.