Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 620 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This is a ride that should be re-ridden many times. Even once or twice up front. I don't think most people appreciate the re-rideability (sp?) of this.

A semi-related note: finally got a scare actor after 9 or 10 rides. Line was moving slow so we saw him jump out 5 times. It was great! lol!

One neat thing, though, is that i saw him go in to the hidey hole right around 10:30 AM. I was in the queue looking to the left right before you curve to the right around the "island" that has the three holes. He opened up a door in a cubby on the left, walked across the line while wearing a black cape and hood, and entered an "Emergency Exit" door right across the queue, in the "back" of that "island". Shortly after, he jumped out in full-on native gear many, many times. :clap: i had been hitting this ride early, so i bet those people start at 10:30. :D
I 100% agree with you. In my probably too long winded :) review last year on the Kong review thread, I went in depth on how I believed it met Tony Baxter's (legendary Disney Imagineer) standard (minimum 20 rides) of an attraction holding up well through repeat rides. It just gets better & better, as does Gringotts. There is so much happening at one time, and the views & experiences are so different from the various seating, that Kong just begs to for rerideability. I'm around three dozen rides now and I'm still discovering cool scenes I missed before. Heck, I don't think I even saw that giant spider at the end of the 360 scene until apx. my tenth ride.

I 100% agree with you. In my probably too long winded :) review last year on the Kong review thread, I went in depth on how I believed it met Tony Baxter's (legendary Disney Imagineer) standard (minimum 20 rides) of an attraction holding up well through repeat rides. It just gets better & better, as does Gringotts. There is so much happening at one time, and the views & experiences are so different from the various seating, that Kong just begs to for rerideability. I'm around three dozen rides now and I'm still discovering cool scenes I missed before. Heck, I don't think I even saw that giant spider at the end of the 360 scene until apx. my tenth ride.
Wait till you ride Flight of Passage. Disney out Universal'd Universal. Much better paced than Gringotts is and not as tied to a very specific event. I'd rate my first rides as high as when I first rode Forbidden Journey.

This is a ride that should be re-ridden many times. Even once or twice up front. I don't think most people appreciate the re-rideability (sp?) of this.

I can apreciate re rideability when there's so much detail that you miss some cool stuff. But having to reride because you can't even see whats going on? That's not really the mark of a great attraction.

I can apreciate re rideability when there's so much detail that you miss some cool stuff. But having to reride because you can't even see whats going on? That's not really the mark of a great attraction.

That's not what i meant, so apologies for not being clearer. It's neat that the different seats change the experience slightly. Up front, you get to see (and hear) the AAs quite a bit more. Which is great because they are really well done, and that is a detail sure to be missed by guess in the back rows.

Another anecdote that may help illustrate this: the "giant slug gets blowed up" scene had some details that were missed while i was in the back. Kate shoots one, it explodes all over you, and while i was spinning around to avoid slug guts, and laughing, and it turns out she shoots another one up front that has way more guts and slug chunks flying out at the truck. It's pretty disgusting! :clap:

That's not what i meant, so apologies for not being clearer. It's neat that the different seats change the experience slightly. Up front, you get to see (and hear) the AAs quite a bit more. Which is great because they are really well done, and that is a detail sure to be missed by guess in the back rows.

Another anecdote that may help illustrate this: the "giant slug gets blowed up" scene had some details that were missed while i was in the back. Kate shoots one, it explodes all over you, and while i was spinning around to avoid slug guts, and laughing, and it turns out she shoots another one up front that has way more guts and slug chunks flying out at the truck. It's pretty disgusting! :clap:
Exactly. Lot's of varied experiences from different seats make repeat rides feel like new experiences, definitely a plus for rerideability. It's not always the same old ride with the same exact experience. Keeps the ride experience refreshing. :thumbsup:

I had the opportunity to ride this the other day and I think I got more soaked on this than I did on Popeye's. Sitting on the far right side of the train lends itself to a downpour of water sprays.

Unfortunately, I was highly disappointed. I wanted it to be so much more, but unfortunately not. Not a bad addition, just not as good as it could have been.

Ride Kong this weekend 5th row 4rth person down and I legitimately had to take off my glasses to make sure it wasn't real. Still when I took of my glasses it looked real. I was more than astounded. Maybe it was both the position and an improvement in the 360 room but this ride was spectacular.

Edit: I also ride transformers this weekend and it was the best I've ever ridden in it so this weekend in general simulators were more than on point.

Last edited:
One might say though, the only reason it's a must re-ride is because they tried to cram so many ppl on one ride vehicle that it's impossible to take in every scene. You have to ride it again because you can physically be over 15-20 ft away from where you rode it last. Makes it impossible to soak in the scene based ride.

One might say though, the only reason it's a must re-ride is because they tried to cram so many ppl on one ride vehicle that it's impossible to take in every scene. You have to ride it again because you can physically be over 15-20 ft away from where you rode it last. Makes it impossible to soak in the scene based ride.

Eh, there's also a lot going on simultaneously on both sides. After we rode, my friend who sat all the way to the right asked if it was the same image projected on both sides. Her response after I said no was 'damnit' because then she felt compelled to ride again.

Eh, there's also a lot going on simultaneously on both sides. After we rode, my friend who sat all the way to the right asked if it was the same image projected on both sides. Her response after I said no was 'damnit' because then she felt compelled to ride again.
Yeah. There's so much going on, on both sides, simultaneously, that it's impossible to see & experience everything. Plus the different seats views. It's a repeat rider's dream. Heck, as I said before, I never even saw the giant spider at the end of the 360 scene until something around my ninth or tenth ride.....I'm around three dozen rides, and I still enjoy it, since it seems fresh with so much to see. And that's the way I like really good attractions, Repeatability. I can ride attractions like Splash Mountain & Pirates of the Caribbean, like forever, because there's so much to experience. FJ is like that to me also. I'm always picking up on stuff I never caught before.

Last edited:
And that to me is kind of frustrating, because after waiting 70 minutes to ride I literally couldn't see scenes playing out because of the seating. The whole bug scene was just heads of other people craning their necks to see what was going on. In the 360 scene I had to turn around to see the whole screen closest to me and it was still hard to read what was going on. Then I have to wait all over again to maybe see what I missed? I can't imagine what some of the GP must be thinking when they get off of it.

Reactions: Eckert and TDBLMT
just got back from our second trip and got 7 laps on kong.. what a great ride - that makes 10 total, and each time I think I have seen something new. This year the motion was more prevalent than when we rode it last year - great experience. Only complaint is after the main scene you have the blank "wall" right before the kong AA.

just got back from our second trip and got 7 laps on kong.. what a great ride - that makes 10 total, and each time I think I have seen something new. This year the motion was more prevalent than when we rode it last year - great experience. Only complaint is after the main scene you have the blank "wall" right before the kong AA.
Like you, I just love those repeat rides. It just gets better & better. That's the real strength of this attraction. It doesn't get old.:thumbsup:...Me too, on the blank wall. :shrug:It makes no sense to me. It wouldn't cost much to bring it up to theme.

Reactions: Joel and andrew
I'm finding that riding in the middle of the truck and sitting in the middle of the row is the best way to ride Kong. If you sit on the right, you get sprayed a lot and although you get to see Kong at the end, you suffer seeing the edge of the screens. If you sit on the left, you miss out on many of the action. If you sit in the middle, you get both of the action, and also you don't see too far ahead or too far to the side. The illusion isn't lost in the middle