Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 616 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I rode the other day and the movement didn't work in the 360 room...totally kills the ride completely...Also - it's crazy with current projection tech that they haven't found a way to do something more than just having black dividers cover the bottom half of the screen...It's as if unless you sit in the exact center past row five, you're screwed..

Good thing though - the roof projections were working in the 360 room, and it really adds to the effect overall

when I was there in September, the same thing happened to us. My wife, son and I rode it - everything worked was amazing, we talked it up to my parents and brother who got there a couple of days later. We rode it, and I noticed in the final scene something was off.....my dad and brother were like "whooaaaaaa cool!!!' and I was like

NO NO NO we should be rocking and moving wtf...

All in all they never experienced it since we went to USF the next day. Very unfortunate.

Was this not supposed to be linked with the movie then? I've always seen this as a form of prequel or extension to the new movie :saywhat:

Was this not supposed to be linked with the movie then? I've always seen this as a form of prequel or extension to the new movie :saywhat:
Originally it was intended to enjoy some synergy with the film release. Universal was partnered with Legendary on the film in the beginning, but eventually they moved it to Warner Bros. who offered them a three-picture deal that will include Godzilla vs. King Kong later.

Universal and Legendary are still working together on a lot of films though, like the Jurassic World series, just not Kong anymore.

Reactions: Coasted and Mike S
I just saw Kong skull island and some of the props, character voices, and creatures were similar from the ride. I found a few of the characters voices in the movie were similar to the ride characters. The props like the skull head were the Same from the ride. The music was also very similar and the main antagonist creature in the movie looked like a dinosaur. A scene in the movie were bats carry a man away reminded me also of the ride. Another thing, when you walk into the ride and hear the old timely music with the radio talk show host introducing the exploration, it corporates with the plot of the movie and the time setting. The whole basis of the movie is exploring a lost island and the ride similar to this idea.

None of the new movie was similar. No creatures from the ride were in the movie, nor characters, and the time lines were completely different. Also Kong is much larger in the new movie than the ride.

None of the new movie was similar. No creatures from the ride were in the movie, nor characters, and the time lines were completely different. Also Kong is much larger in the new movie than the ride.
The film was pushed back and re-written, somewhat re-cast, and Kong was made bigger so when he fights Godzilla later it's a fair fight (since Godzilla was made larger in his new movie.) All of this had a lot to do with Legendary moving the film from Universal to Warner Bros..

Some reminiscences of the film remain on the ride, namely the skull and bones near the gate entrance, and that's about it.

Reactions: Coasted

No connection to any movies besides a few references. I was told it was the ride development that got Universal interested in a new movie before that was jettisoned.

Reactions: Mike S and Alicia
I understand some people might think some connection due to the name, but that's really it after watching the movie. I enjoyed the movie though, but that's really due to my love of Godzilla and where this is getting to.

Reactions: Coasted and Mike S
None of the new movie was similar. (The new movie wasn't similar would be the correct way to say it) No (none of the) creatures from the ride were in the movie, nor characters, and the time lines were completely different. Also Kong is much larger in the new movie than the ride.
If you heard the movie character voices, a few sound the same. The creatures aren't the same but the last lizard creature looks like a dinosaur. The music is similar as well, and the time periods are 30 and 70 which are still old time periods. Also, they can't build a 200 ft Kong in a ride. They movie and rode do have some similarities.

I did hear their voices and none were the same. The 30s and 70s are not the same because they are old periods either. Kong is 25 feet in the ride and the 2005 movie, but is 100 ft in the new movie so a large difference there also.

The similarities really start and end at Skull Island and a skeleton.
The skeleton isn't even a good choice for similarities since it could easily be from the 2005 movie which also had skeletons of his family and is obviously where the ride takes most of its inspiration.

1. Yeah the movie and ride bear zero similarities besides the fact both feature Kong and are set on Skull Island (though the ride and film versions of Kong and Skull Island are vastly different).

Reactions: Coasted
Interesting, shows how much I know :lol:

Just out of interest, does anyone know the guest satisfaction scores for Kong? Whilst I've gotten the general gist that it's received a pretty mixed response I'm not quite sure exactly how well it was received...

The original intention was to have the ride be the prequel to the movie. However, with the change of the cast and script things were redone.

It still is somewhat the same "Skull Island" just different timelines.

I've heard it's extremely low. Fast and Furious being delayed a year was a direct result. I could have heard wrong though.
I have no idea what the guest satisfaction scores were, but F&F was delayed for a year before Kong even opened. Some of that delay was due to the problems that popped up with the Kong vehicles during the testing phase. .

Motion is back in the 360 room (thank God)

People stopping in the witch scene is beginning to be an issue, like bad...I see a staff member ala HHN being put in place soon

Speaking of the witch, can she at least pause for 5 mins before she does her monologue again...I don't need to hear it three times