Revenge of the Mummy Refurbishment (Late 2022) | Page 25 | Inside Universal Forums

Revenge of the Mummy Refurbishment (Late 2022)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Not to harp... but this is exactly why I'm concerned. This trailer features golden hues, a distinct visual style drawn from and inspired by the dozens of Mummy-centric films that came before it (in and out of Uni). We see tons of egyptology and unique visuals - the aforementioned sand face, the rotting hand reaching out of the sand, Imhotep in his priest robes unhinging his jaw...

The closest thing to a unique visual in the reboot trailer is the double-iris, and we've seen similar effects in other films. As HR points out, for this Gods & Monsters universe to gel, they need to own the iconography of their origins, not shy away from them. That means rotting corpses, bandages, and egyptology galore.

I get what you're saying and sort of feel the same way, but at the same time would some people be saying "this just looks like the same movie as the originals" if they were too similar? Honestly, I'm just accepting this as the new "mummy" so I don't go into the theater with a bad disposition. It's up to them now to prove this mentality wrong.

Has Mummy had a refurbishment lately? It seemed like a lot more was working today than in the past. The only problem I had was some very minor audio-visual syncing issues, like less than a millisecond.

I wonder what their plans will be too.

If this helps at all I know that all the monster movies are going to tie in to one another and that the monsters will all "work" for the same organisation.
Think avengers style, I think Russell Crowe is going to be the Nick Fury of the organisation. Universal wants their monsters to be their dc/marvel equivalent.

My point is, wouldn't it be better to have a monster land if this is their intention rather than just re-do/ overlay mummy? I think they want all these monsters in the same place.

I think if mummy is going it's not going to be replaced by new mummy.

I wonder what their plans will be too.

If this helps at all I know that all the monster movies are going to tie in to one another and that the monsters will all "work" for the same organisation.
Think avengers style, I think Russell Crowe is going to be the Nick Fury of the organisation. Universal wants their monsters to be their dc/marvel equivalent.

My point is, wouldn't it be better to have a monster land if this is their intention rather than just re-do/ overlay mummy? I think they want all these monsters in the same place.

I think if mummy is going it's not going to be replaced by new mummy.
Or Mummy is replaced by something else entirely and we get Monster Land* in park 3.

Also not sure how I feel about what sounds like Monster superheroes.

You know, Universal could create something totally unique and different if they just kept the monsters as monsters...What if Van Helsing was the main protagonist and each film was an investigation into a different monster...Call it "The Adventure's of Van Helsing: The Mummy, and so on...At the end of the day the monsters are not heroes...they are (shocker) monsters...Exaggerated versions of our own monstrous tendencies...Instead we're going to copy Avengers

I also would really miss Brendan Fraser talking about his coffee, that's really the point of all this

Regardless what their film plans are, how they proceed will depend on how well the movies do at the box office. While they may want to build an Avengers type franchise, it's going to have to be a big hit for that to happen. Unfortunately, I just don't think it's going to be that successful. At least the first one in the series. I can't see the Mummy reboot doing $200 million US. I could see it in the $100 million or less category. It's release is in the middle of a lot of big movies, and I think it gets lost in the shuffle. If it bombs, how will they proceed with the Monster reboots and any future ride plans?

Reactions: Ash
Their goal for all the new monsters is for you to root for them but at the same time be horrified by them. A lovable antagonist. And Tom Cruise isn't the hero either already been stated multiple times by director. And they said that they don't want Avenger style set up because if the movies can't be good stand alone no one will go see the mash ups so goal is to make good solo films and if they ends up a reason for them to crossover they will.

Reactions: Mike S
Their goal for all the new monsters is for you to root for them but at the same time be horrified by them. A lovable antagonist. And Tom Cruise isn't the hero either already been stated multiple times by director. And they said that they don't want Avenger style set up because if the movies can't be good stand alone no one will go see the mash ups so goal is to make good solo films and if they ends up a reason for them to crossover they will.
So they aren't intending on culminating with an Avenger's style film?

Nope.

Much of the speculation and skepticism surrounding Kurtzman’s Mummy, and with the whole idea of a Universal Monsters shared universe, is that it might appear like an attempt by another studio to fit into the Marvel mode. Kurtzman is quick to dispel that notion. “The only way to [build a universe] is to not think in terms of building a universe,” he said. “You have to make great individual movies. If you do that, the audience will follow you. But it’s the audience that’ll get you there, not the mandate to do so.”

And then you may ask why Dr Jekyll is in it...

“There was a lot of debate about whether or not to put Dr. Jekyll in the movie,” Kurtzman began, “because the minute you say ‘Oh, it’s The Mummy, but also Dr. Jekyll’s in it,’ you guys are all going to say ‘are you trying to sell me on a shared universe all of a sudden?’ Which seemed a reasonable question. In the footage shown to Nerdist and a few other outlets, Dr. Jekyll introduces Tom Cruise‘s Nick Morton to Prodigium, the clandestine, monster-finding organization which will likely be the S.H.I.E.L.D. of the universe.

“We wanted to understand the context of the Mummy in the larger world,” he continued, “and we wanted to explore that monsters have existed for millennia, and we knew as the story evolved we wanted there to be an organization that was maybe cataloging them, following them, collecting them.” By necessity, then, there needed to be someone who understood that world, and could bring Morton into it. “We could make up a character to fit that role,” Kurtzman continued, “or we could look at monster mythology and say ‘is there a character who could organically fit into The Mummy story, that wouldn’t detract from The Mummy story, but would in fact enhance it?'”

The monsters will all be affiliated with the same organisation in each film. While I think it will all depend on box office results I was led to believe it is their wish to do a mash up eventually at the very least they want cameos and all the movies to be set in the same "universe". I think they have about 4-5 movies planned before a mash up but I was told a mash up was their end game.

Given that the classic Universal Monsters cycle basically invented the cinematic mash-up/crossover, there's no way Universal isn't planning to bring all the monsters together at some point. Assuming their individual box office results can justify it.

And Tom Cruise isn't the hero either already been stated multiple times by director
I doubt that Tom Cruise will have any other involvement in this whole Monster universe. He's way too big of a star to be dragged into a giant franchise unless it's completely on his schedule (Mission Impossible)

I have seen plans for about 5 or 6 although the only 2 I remember for sure were bride of frankenstein and Van Helsing again. I don't remember any of the others unfortunately... I remember finding it strange actual Frankenstein wasn't on their nor was another wolf man.

I have seen plans for about 5 or 6 although the only 2 I remember for sure were bride of frankenstein and Van Helsing again. I don't remember any of the others unfortunately... I remember finding it strange actual Frankenstein wasn't on their nor was another wolf man.
There's been a ton of Frankentein versions released theatrically in the past decade or so. None of them have done well. That saturation, and lack of box office success, may have had something to do with it.