Rescue Rangers (2022) | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Rescue Rangers (2022)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I really enjoyed this, it's an absolute fever dream of a film, but I expected nothing less from the Lonely Island doing a riff of Who Framed Rodger Rabbit.
And like with WFWW, it had a better handling of the many different IPs compared to Wreck it Ralph 2 and Space Jam: A New Legacy. Where those two films were a "pat-ourselves-on-the-back, arn't we great?" synergy-fest, Rescue Rangers handled it better with stuff you had to keep an eye out for since they weren't going to point it out, and just having fun with the stuff that was more up front.

Speaking of the stuff you had to keep an eye out for, there was a particular character which got a legit "YOU'VE GOTTA' BE S#$&^%*@ ME!!!" scream out of me. I didn't expect to do so for this film, but they really surprised me with that moment.

It was the Samurai Jack / Blacksad crossover I never knew I wanted!

Along with the fun concept, the humor really shined in this. There's a ton of great sight gags and jokes in general, even more so for animation fans. Definitely a bunch of great nods without having to over explain it etc.

Overall, this was a fun ride! When I first heard they were doing a "live action/CGI" film I really wasn't feeling it, but I'm glad they went in this literally bonkers direction.

Reactions: SeventyOne
People seem to be liking this alot (im watching it tonight)

Why is this not in theaters? Even if limited not like anything else is out
As much as I liked this, I wouldn’t have gone to see this in a movie theater and tbh it has pretty niche appeal on the surface (From marketing). Disney+ was the right call for this film. It’s not a crime for Disney+ to actually have good films. In fact they should have more that are as enjoyable as this one is.

Separetly, I watched a review where it was noted that in the credits, there’s a “special thanks“ given to Universal, which I’m not surprised at given how a few of their characters were handled (and the likeness of one Vin Diesel next to the actual F&F logo.

However, it was also noted that Paramount and WB were NOT given any sort of thanks, so I’m thinking their lawyers really pushed the limits of parody law. Apparently at the premiere, when they were thanking people before the movie started, the writers and director specifically thanked Disney’s lawyers For making this movie a reality.

Last edited:
Looking at the director behind this and I had no idea that Akiva Schaffer (also of The Lonely Island). I remember he made the absolutely hilarious (and completely underrated film) Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping back in like 2016 or so. This shows that wasn’t a fluke at all and the writers for the film (Dan Gregor and Doug Mand) also deserve credit for writing dialogue and jokes that fit both Samberg and Mulaney’s style of comedy.

They also deserve credit for doing their Rescue Rangers research And really going for that Roger Rabbit type of movie instead of a SJ: ANL or Wreck-it Ralph 2. This movie easily could’ve been a dumpster fire, but they really made this concept work For the intended audience, which tbh, is those who watched Disney Afternoon back in the day, meaning that they are now all full grown adults.

Solid film, totally ridiculous in the best kinda ways and those cameos

I hope we get some reboots from this and maybe a river rabbit sequel

Solid film, totally ridiculous in the best kinda ways and those cameos

I hope we get some reboots from this and maybe a river rabbit sequel

For what it's worth--the next one seems clear as day..or rather, dark as night.

1653109372157.png

The interesting thing is, Seth Rogan's actually involved on the project too. And while it is slated to be as a TV show for the moment..

dark-wing-duck-letsgetdangerous.gif

Last edited:
Definitely not as keen on this as some people, but yeah, it's not as terrible as the trailers make it out to be. It's still not all that good though, writing is very thin, jokes are very hit-or-miss, the animation style on the main cast just sucks (I understand budgetary restrictions, but sorry, celshaded 3D just doesn't look like 2D). Needlessly reverent in parts and overall still pretty corporate friendly. It acts as a lampshade on franchise marketing and tie-in products the same way Enchanted and Frozen were for Disney Princess movies, it lightly elbows the practices but never goes full out on some of the deeper aspects that an independent parody would be able to. It is riding the line for edginess in Disney cinema, but it is firmly in defense of the empire. Almost all the targets of humor were at non-Disney properties, and the main antagonistic force is illegal bootlegging of movies and evasion of copyright law. A fun bit of clever writing? Sure, but it still does leave that taste of plastic microwaved tv dinner in my mouth.

I felt like most of the humor was still going for the "Haha i know that!" style that all these corporate plug movies have. The only times I really laughed were the more absurdist elements where TLI really got to shine like the Main Street bit. Otherwise, I guess it's neat to see B.O.B or a Transformer in a Disney film, it definitely isn't a joke though. Free Guy felt the same way to me. I know Fortnite and Star Wars exist, do you wanna do something with that? Not really. If I'm being honest with myself, while it was noteworthy whenever a non-Disney property decided to pop in, I can't even really say it was ever that shocking to me that any of these characters were in this film. The only one I was kind of surprised by was

Ugly Sonic, they didn't do too much with him really, but just seeing that they were able to play with that design in the way they did was certainly interesting.
I just think I'm getting pretty jaded by "crossover" movies, which is ironically also the subject of one of the other funny jokes in the film.

There are elements here that I thought were interesting or neat, and I was never bored or agitated like I was with Free Guy, Ralph Breaks, Ready Player One, but it also isn't anything to write home about. Thoroughly average, and really the kind of film that feels like the essence of media in 2022. 5/10

For what it's worth--the next one seems clear as day..or rather, dark as night.

View attachment 16381

The interesting thing is, Seth Rogan's actually involved on the project too. And while it is slated to be as a TV show for the moment..

dark-wing-duck-letsgetdangerous.gif
It was announced that Darkwing Duck is getting a Disney+ revival awhile ago, I believe. At the time it was meant to be a series again, with the Darkwing Duck from DuckTales (2017) being the focus. If this projects has changed to a movie, I am unsure of.

It was announced that Darkwing Duck is getting a Disney+ revival awhile ago, I believe. At the time it was meant to be a series again, with the Darkwing Duck from DuckTails (2017) being the focus. If this projects has changed to a movie, I am unsure of.

See, I thought people went out of the way to say it wasn't being based off of Ducktales 2017. Could be wrong but I don't think they have.

So I think there’s a pretty high likelihood this movie gets a sequel and the question at that point is does Disney stick with it being a Disney+ movie at that point or is it now too big for streaming? Of course, Disney’s making new Alien, Predator, and Extraordinary League of Gentlemen (reboot) movies and they’re all going straight to Hulu, so :shrug:

So I think there’s a pretty high likelihood this movie gets a sequel and the question at that point is does Disney stick with it being a Disney+ movie at that point or is it now too big for streaming? Of course, Disney’s making new Alien, Predator, and Extraordinary League of Gentlemen (reboot) movies and they’re all going straight to Hulu, so :shrug:

If this film was made intentionally to be what brings people into D+ more, then it's stem to reason that they would have the sequel and the Darkwing Duck project (Assuming if it's been changed to be a film like RR) for the Service.

Also helps to understand, what Alien and Extraordinary League are: new scripted shows. PREY is the only one of Hulu in that aspect that's outright a theatrical film that was put onto the service (Like Soul, Turning Red, and Luca). I'm guessing the next proper Alien film, will not go simply to Hulu.

With how much revenue the company attributed to Disney+ last year I’d be really surprised if they’re in a rush to push any movie like this to theaters. At this point they’re in the subscriber-retention business, which is going to be a lot more profitable with these mid-major movie releases than paying for distribution, splitting ticket revenue with theaters, etc.

Reactions: SeventyOne
If this film was made intentionally to be what brings people into D+ more, then it's stem to reason that they would have the sequel and the Darkwing Duck project (Assuming if it's been changed to be a film like RR) for the Service.

Also helps to understand, what Alien and Extraordinary League are: new scripted shows. PREY is the only one of Hulu in that aspect that's outright a theatrical film that was put onto the service (Like Soul, Turning Red, and Luca). I'm guessing the next proper Alien film, will not go simply to Hulu.
There’s a new Alien film going to Hulu as well.