Penguin Trek (2024) | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Penguin Trek (2024)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It’s good to see them adding something over nothing, and putting the trackless debacle behind them, but I’m pretty underwhelmed by the parade of family (aka cheap) B&Ms that are getting added to all of the Busch parks. It feels like it’s going to be 2026-27 before any of them add a substantive that a coasterphile would want.
I don't think any B&M could be considered "cheap"-- cheap would have been a Vekoma Roller Skater (Goofy's Barnstormer, Troller Coaster, Flight of the Hypogriff, etc), or Vekoma Suspended Family Coaster (Freedom Flyer, Dragonflier, Flying School, etc.). These are all custom designs to fit the landscape they're in as well as in/around existing buildings and features. They cost a LOT more than an off the shelf coaster, and promise to be much better rides than the average family/kids coaster.

I am hoping for an indoor one next. Hopefully replacing Arctic now that they don't use that ride anymore and the polar bears are gone. I think they could re-do while still keeping some of the animals in there and make a good dark ride of some sort.
all they need is a Sesame dark ride to really round things out imo. Also so the entire park doesn’t shut down when it rains/lightning.

Dumb question but I always wondered—why hasn’t this thread changed names to Penguin Trek? Would’ve thought that would make sense to update to the proper name of the coaster.

I don't have much expectation that something like that will happen, but one can hope.

Tbh the problem is I just don’t see a Sesame Street dark ride really doing much for SeaWorld’s bottom line. It makes sense to people like us that love parks, but will this attraction bring enough people to SeaWorld to justify the money it would take to build and maintain a well themed dark ride?

So yeah, even though it would be a great add for SWO and help round the park out, I doubt the executives consider it. The land they have serves it’s purpose of giving kids something to do and selling some plushies. Hope I’m wrong though.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
Tbh the problem is I just don’t see a Sesame Street dark ride really doing much for SeaWorld’s bottom line. It makes sense to people like us that love parks, but will this attraction bring enough people to SeaWorld to justify the money it would take to build and maintain a well themed dark ride?

So yeah, even though it would be a great add for SWO and help round the park out, I doubt the executives consider it. The land they have serves it’s purpose of giving kids something to do and selling some plushies. Hope I’m wrong though.

I don't see it happening under the current leadership, but if they're headed toward the resort business, they'll need to start providing a more well-rounded experience to keep people inside the park... especially on those hot and rainy days.

Indoor attractions would absolutely help return guests because of how hot it can get. Sesame street is a huge IP that could be marketed very well. I do think it would increase family attendance which families spend the most money. Sesame street is a huge draw in itself, but being able to market something new would help a ton. It would also help with crowds as the roller coaster and other lines get fairly long back that way. Having something indoor amongst all that outdoor stuff that can handle a large indoor queue would make guest experience higher.

Problem is rides like that cost a lot of money to build and maintain. There’s a reason you don’t see dark rides being built often anymore and ones that do are becoming more reliant on SCREENZ than ever. These companies don’t make enough ROI with these rides to want to build them. They have serious potential to become money pits, kind of like SeaWorld’s last attempt at one that is now being replaced with the very coaster this thread is about.

Like I said, I do hope I’m wrong because it would be a cool add for SeaWorld. Also, if they are into dark rides again then they should fix JTA and bring it back to its glory before doing anything else.

Reactions: Wesker69
Sally's dark rides are reasonably priced (especially compared to a coaster) or Six Flags would never have purchased them. Maintaining them is not easy, but it's also (relatively) inexpensive compared to maintaining a coaster.

Reactions: UniversalRBLX
Sally's dark rides are reasonably priced (especially compared to a coaster) or Six Flags would never have purchased them. Maintaining them is not easy, but it's also (relatively) inexpensive compared to maintaining a coaster.
I was going to say Legoland even has dark rides, I don't see why Sea World can't have one.

Part of the issue I see with a dark ride is either having to have technicians who can service them on staff, or having to contract with someone who can service them. I think that's the issue with Six Flags having them and letting them deteriorate is they aren't willing to pay for someone with the required skills on staff full time. Even Disney can't seem to keep their animatronics working 100%, so a really budget conscious chain has a slimmer chance of maintaining something like this. Especially an IP where they have stricter requirements about upkeep and show standards.

Part of the issue I see with a dark ride is either having to have technicians who can service them on staff, or having to contract with someone who can service them. I think that's the issue with Six Flags having them and letting them deteriorate is they aren't willing to pay for someone with the required skills on staff full time. Even Disney can't seem to keep their animatronics working 100%, so a really budget conscious chain has a slimmer chance of maintaining something like this. Especially an IP where they have stricter requirements about upkeep and show standards.
It also doesn’t help that the most recent dark rides that SW built were bad from day 1. Granted they’ve probably turned over their desk-job staff about 7-8 times since Antarctica and the one out in San Diego opened so nobody is still there to actually remember, but it’s pretty easy to see why they’d be trigger shy on approving a dark ride after some of the ones they built.

Seeing a nearly complete track layout is great, but I keep getting these bad vibes that outside of the already existing former Antarctica land, this is going to end up being a very "naked" coaster like SWSD's new "Arctic Rescue". The tight overlapping track doesn't give much hope of further scenic details added..

I know Kraken was a minimally themed naked coaster when it was built back in ancient times, but Manta set the bar high for SeaWorld coasters with the aquarium queue & waterfalls.

Manta was the last attraction planned by Busch Entertainment before the sale.

Even if the coaster doesn't get much more that it already has, it will be fine. Running over the pathways and the Quonset hut plus the themed interior will be more than Arctic Rescue have and it will be a fun ride.

Manta set the bar and that is where the bar has been left ever since. No other coaster they have built has done what manta did.
I'd argue that "Mako" came close to pulling a Manta, but minimally. That's me being generous lol

My other fear for this coaster being naked isn't just due to "Arctic Rescue", but also because the last time SWO built a cold themed coaster was "Ice Breaker" without the ice!

So whatever is inside the building better be impressive to make up for the outdoor portion not being themed.