Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 233 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually quite bummed about these recent developments. Avatar was kind of the pivot point for returning to Orlando next year. I know that sounds like a weird reason but I felt like 2017 would be a great jumping off point for about 4 or 5 years.

If the stuff at disney were as new as the universal attractions, they would be way more screen heavy too. That's just the way it is today.

If the stuff at disney were as new as the universal attractions, they would be way more screen heavy too. That's just the way it is today.

Well yes and no. There's a rally cry around how the Disney way is better and this is the greatest land ever. It's just more and more info coming out that this land seems to be of poor value (money spent vs product received) and Disney fans possible change face on why they like/dislike attractions.

Reactions: Frogki
Four AAs in all of Pandora vs 5 in Reign of Kong. I imagine suddenly AA vs screens will go away and something else will come up. Just like coasters and "intense" complaints before.

That's shocking. What in the world will be inside the river ride then? Just a bunch of plants lazy-river style?

I see the nonsense posts from Disney fans now "Well at least nothing tries to kill you", "At least something dosen't go horribly wrong", "At least it's not thrilling"

I see the nonsense posts from Disney fans now "Well at least nothing tries to kill you", "At least something dosen't go horribly wrong", "At least it's not thrilling"

Wouldn't it be ironic if the story of the boat ride is that something knocks it off course and the local animals try to kill you?

Reactions: shiekra38
Well yes and no. There's a rally cry around how the Disney way is better and this is the greatest land ever. It's just more and more info coming out that this land seems to be of poor value (money spent vs product received) and Disney fans possible change face on why they like/dislike attractions.

There seems to be a recurring theme on this site about the supposed hypocrisy of the dreaded "Disney fans," but at the end of the day, who really cares? I'm sure some Disney fans will contort themselves to defend it, but plenty of them on other sites are openly uneasy about this news, too.

Could the boat ride be screen based? That's be hilarious.

That's not the word I'd use.

Could the boat ride be screen based? That's be hilarious.
Straight from the cows mouth (Chapek) at Destination D it was said the ride will be similar to Shanghai Disneyland Pirates. I assume that to mean the rotating boat system and that it would be mostly screen based.

So yep.

There seems to be a recurring theme on this site about the supposed hypocrisy of the dreaded "Disney fans," but at the end of the day, who really cares? I'm sure some Disney fans will contort themselves to defend it, but plenty of them on other sites are openly uneasy about this news, too.
I'm a Disney fan, in fact a Disney fan first before Universal. I believe if you're truly a fan of Disney you pretty much have to hate a large majority of what Disney is currently doing. What makes me a Universal fan is I see so many similarities to Universal of today and Disney of the past. Being a fan of one doesn't mean you can't be a fan of the other. Different people are at different stages of accepting the creative death of Disney, I've managed to move on and can look back at what I liked. Some people are very much still in the denial and/or bargaining stage. Best thing to do is to respect that and give them some space and time.

pretty confident there will be more than 1 AA
and im pretty confident the land will blow people away
the Destination D presentation was bad (mainly because you couldnt see what they were showing)

Elsewhere, marni1971 has reported that - to the best of his knowledge - the animatronic in the new video is not merely the only AA in the boat ride, but also possibly the only AA in the entire land!

I've been high on this project for a while, but this has dramatically soured me on things. I wasn't expecting a Pirates-level AA showcase by any means, but my hopes for the boat ride have now fallen into the cellar.
Honestly, it's probably best they have as few Na'vi throughout the land as possible, less opportunities for some annoying jackass (namely me) to shriek, "THEY HAVE SEX WITH THEIR TAILS!!!!!"

I think the Imagineers need to stop going on these expensive "research" trips and taking money away from the budget ;)
Did they actually travel to Pandora? Because that would explain the budget.

That's not the word I'd use.

Because we love the product and enjoy having a conversation about it. There's a group of fans who will make excuses and adjust their world views to not be confronted with ideas against their own; this leads to poor discussions and ultimately forgives bad product (which can lead to irreparable harm, see UOR in the mid 2000s). That's what it boils down to.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I couldn't agree more about the overwhelming nature of screen based attractions. I'm not sure how many of you have been to Universal Hollywood, but there are really only two legitimate attractions that are not screen or 3D (JP and the Mummy) I found myself sick of putting on glasses every ride and trying to focus so much on action during every other ride. I really have no intention to go back to that park for a long time. The damn glasses cut down so much of your visibility in the rides too, so i lqays find myself squinting to try and absorb as much as I can.

Its like riding an attraction while looking through a periscope, it takes away so much of the immersive experience.

I was at Universal Florida last week and going on Forbidden Journey again without glasses (because USH is 3D) was amazing. I was able to see everything unhindered and actually appreciate the environment i was being taken through.

Universal uses screens for the focal point of scene after scene, its too much. Pirates in Shanghai at least kind of used it more for environment and background (opinion). I hope that parks figure out that's what the people want.

Give the people what they want!

Rant finished =)

I couldn't agree more about the overwhelming nature of screen based attractions. I'm not sure how many of you have been to Universal Hollywood, but there are really only two legitimate attractions that are not screen or 3D (JP and the Mummy) I found myself sick of putting on glasses every ride and trying to focus so much on action during every other ride. I really have no intention to go back to that park for a long time. The damn glasses cut down so much of your visibility in the rides too, so i lqays find myself squinting to try and absorb as much as I can.

Its like riding an attraction while looking through a periscope, it takes away so much of the immersive experience.

I was at Universal Florida last week and going on Forbidden Journey again without glasses (because USH is 3D) was amazing. I was able to see everything unhindered and actually appreciate the environment i was being taken through.

Universal uses screens for the focal point of scene after scene, its too much. Pirates in Shanghai at least kind of used it more for environment and background (opinion). I hope that parks figure out that's what the people want.

Give the people what they want!

Rant finished =)
Weeell, I know Universal does a lot of guest satisfaction and screen based attractions seem to be preforming well, at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.