(P515) Potential Hotel for USH | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

(P515) Potential Hotel for USH

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
While it's pretty dang early to speculate, if this will be even remotely like an Orlando hotel, a Universal owned hotel would be able to offer perks exclusive to the park (possible things: early entry, included Express pass benefits, soft drink refills, discounted park tickets, and special packages if so inclined), as well as higher quality control, service, and most importantly, theming. You can't tell me the vibes of Cabana Bay or Royal Pacific are on par with a Sheraton that looks like a box.

And who cares if USH isn't a full day park? Doesn't mean the guests have to exclusively go to USH... there's craploads of tourist destinations a very short distance away: Walk of Fame, Hollywood Bowl, Chinese Theater, Hollywood & Highland, Ameoba, Griffith Observatory, etc. Sure, guests could do all that from other hotels, but not with the added benefits of exclusive USH benefits, quality, and convenience.

As already pointed out, Knott's is not a full day park either, and they have an onsite hotel that's doing quite well--even though it's surrounded by tons of other hotels all along Beach Blvd.

The thing is this will probably be at such a premium for a one day park experience where they would HAVE to offer at least unlimited express to be even remotely be worth it compared to the competition thats also short walking distance (even so USH express is really only valuable on weekends and peak times). Universal Orlando hotels don't even offer discounted tickets I don't think. If you're trying to do a full LA trip, this isn't really the best place to stay (and neither are the existing hotels on property) from a connivence or price standpoint. This only really makes sense for brand loyalists and Universal trip focused only people who have the money to blow on it tbh (basing this assumption on if its a bit more expensive than existing on site hotels). Allegedly the theming is Aventura Hotel-esque (which isn't really like special in the selection of hotels you got out here already) from what i've seen people say on twitter, but who knows if that's accurate.

Like sure you can get the brand loyalists or whatever, but is this really needed? No.

The thing is this will probably be at such a premium for a one day park experience where they would HAVE to offer at least unlimited express to be even remotely be worth it compared to the competition thats also short walking distance
I just don't fully understand why. If the hotels there are already getting in guests, why wouldn't one owned and promoted directly by the park be just as profitable/successful? As for why guests want it, I'm guessing part of it is being able to get those all-inclusive packages and exclusive benefits compared to a non-park owned hotel. To me a hotel is just symbolic of the changing attitudes we could be seeing from UPR (UDE?) towards this park, because making this a true resort destination will require expansion

I also think it's getting close to time where more and more people will be planning trips with USH as the primary destination rather than a secondary destination. This already is happening with HHN, I'm sure SNW and future expansions will help drive that point even more. The times they are a changin

I just don't fully understand why. If the hotels there are already getting in guests, why wouldn't one owned and promoted directly by the park be just as profitable/successful?

Playing around on google, they seem pretty easy to book on any given date which implies the rooms aren't selling like a Disneyland hotel or comparable hotel out in Orlando.

Perhaps the Universal brand might help the new one but like it's not like these other hotels are bursting at the seams with demand, but they're also really expensive too and don't offer something like express. In the case the new one doesn't get express, I don't think just early access is enough incentive to drop like 400-500 bucks a night to the average person. Apparently they used to offer HP early access back in the day with hotel packages through Universal, they could just do that tbh. I think the Universal-owned hotel is a nice to have, but like not like this super desperately needed thing where it's like a "ahhhh finally a place for people to go!" type thing cause there's definitely a place to go for those who wanna drop a lot on property and also for those who don't want to drop a lot in the surrounding area off property.

Last edited:
Playing around on google, they seem pretty easy to book on any given date which implies the rooms aren't selling like a Disneyland hotel or comparable hotel out in Orlando.

Perhaps the Universal brand might help the new one but like it's not like these other hotels are bursting at the seams with demand, but they're also really expensive too and don't offer something like express. In the case the new one doesn't get express, I don't think just early access is enough incentive to drop like 400-500 bucks a night to the average person. Apparently they used to offer HP early access back in the day with hotel packages through Universal, they could just do that tbh. I think the Universal-owned hotel is a nice to have, but like not like this super desperately needed thing where it's like a "ahhhh finally a place for people to go!" type thing cause there's definitely a place to go for those who wanna drop a lot on property and also for those who don't want to drop a lot in the surrounding area off property.
I guess I’m confused. Universal wants to build a hotel. You don’t think it’s necessary.

Ok, so is your issue:
1. That they’d be spending money on this rather than something else?
2. This hotel will fail, leading to problems for Universal.
3. Using the land for this instead of something else?

Just trying to figure out what you’d rather happen.

I think my thoughts are:
1. The Olympics
2. It’s a “half-day” park for now. We don’t know what’s coming in the next decade.
3. Infrastructure is necessary for growth.

Great for out of towners but to me it's just a waste of space now because the park needs more.

Its a one day park and with 2025 the next time we are seeing a new ride, its really just for people out of town and I hope they don't use up area's that could be in the park for a hotel. DCA.....DCA has more then double USH attractions

Just my two cents, wish they would make the resort into a resort before building on hotels.

Great for out of towners but to me it's just a waste of space now because the park needs more.

Its a one day park and with 2025 the next time we are seeing a new ride, its really just for people out of town and I hope they don't use up area's that could be in the park for a hotel. DCA.....DCA has more then double USH attractions

Just my two cents, wish they would make the resort into a resort before building on hotels.

I agree with your point a bit, but the vast majority of DCA is comprised of simple flat rides.

While Potter brought in lots of guests to UOR, the significant profits being made are also driven by hotel expansions. So, this isn't a terrible use of the land and will hopefully provide future benefits once online.

Reactions: joerodriguez
They didn't take money for rides and then turn around and build hotels with it instead.

Just incredible, "I want USH to become a resort but before building things that would make it a resort". Amazing.
Here is a hotel.

Cool well what can I do at your resort, a park that takesa one day and ummm citywalk

My point is invest more into both citywalk and USH. we don't even have ten rides and two shows right now.

Citywalk add a tribute store, escape rooms, and a kibry cafe/other IP that could be a attraction outside the park.

USH move the tram loading area and start adding more lands and rides.

I hope they invest in the park more but we might not even get a new attraction in 2024, so its kinda to me putting the horse in front of the cart. Once again for people out of town but as a local this hotel will not be affordable like over in Orlando.
So I just hope space that could be more theme park isn't used, its a fair ask with how the park is run.

I agree with your point a bit, but the vast majority of DCA is comprised of simple flat rides.

While Potter brought in lots of guests to UOR, the significant profits being made are also driven by hotel expansions. So, this isn't a terrible use of the land and will hopefully provide future benefits once online.

Also, DCA is about 72 acres, while Universal's park space, without counting CityWalk or the backlot Studio tour, barely registers at about 40 acres of park space. USH is even smaller than Knott's, which is about 45 acres.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Here is a hotel.

Cool well what can I do at your resort, a park that takesa one day and ummm citywalk

My point is invest more into both citywalk and USH. we don't even have ten rides and two shows right now.

Citywalk add a tribute store, escape rooms, and a kibry cafe/other IP that could be a attraction outside the park.

I hope they invest in the park more but we might not even get a new attraction in 2024, so its kinda to me putting the horse in front of the cart. Once again for people out of town but as a local this hotel will not be affordable like over in Orlando.
So I just hope space that could be more theme park isn't used, its a fair ask with how the park is run.

You need a hotel for a resort, it's a chicken and the egg problem.

So, is it possible this hotel goes at the park entrance area like Universal Beijing?
The original permits from December were for the parcel right where the entrance is, so I feel like yes. That Saddle Ranch plot is still just empty grass and they could easily take that front gate parking too, I feel like that area is the most probable for this
272F1BCE-9D61-4F46-87B8-7AC3883A144B.png

Also, forgive me, but I’m a little confused about these arguments. We’ve known that USH was intending to build a hotel for almost a decade. This, to me, is only good news as it shows they’re confident in future park expansion and its ability to draw guests

Here is a hotel.

You don't interpret the prospect of a new Universal-owned hotel as an indication that park-wide investments are also happening? Tbh, it seems like you're having a knee-jerk negative reaction just for the sake of having a knee-jerk negative reaction.

If USH is going to transform into a proper theme park resort -- not just a half-day activity mostly for locals -- then hotels are part of the roadmap.

You don't interpret the prospect of a new Universal-owned hotel as an indication that park-wide investments are also happening? Tbh, it seems like you're having a knee-jerk negative reaction just for the sake of having a knee-jerk negative reaction.

If USH is going to transform into a proper theme park resort -- not just a half-day activity mostly for locals -- then hotels are part of the roadmap.
Its not knee jerk

We have talked about the hotel before. Space is my issue besides SNW, USH is still just reusing the same old areas and not really adding capacity to the park. I hope this does something but unless we get a second park or more then two new attractions a year

I'm not sure what else a new hotel would do to make USH a resort

I guess I’m confused. Universal wants to build a hotel. You don’t think it’s necessary.

Ok, so is your issue:
1. That they’d be spending money on this rather than something else?
2. This hotel will fail, leading to problems for Universal.
3. Using the land for this instead of something else?

Just trying to figure out what you’d rather happen.

I think my thoughts are:
1. The Olympics
2. It’s a “half-day” park for now. We don’t know what’s coming in the next decade.
3. Infrastructure is necessary for growth.

I don't have really an issue issue like that, I'm not like "NO DON'T BUILD HOTEL", I'm not losing sleep over this being built or not. I'm just expressing I don't really see the point of the allocation of cost, time, and effort when its not like the area is struggling with hotels both on and off property (even if this park got more popular) and I don't get the sentiment that this is some super needed thing that hasn't already existed (not owned by Universal of course, but just look at Japan's park it's like that there too). But yeah nothing else other than a parking lot is really useful for the land, I got no issues with it being built there either.

Personally, I think you would need another Mario-like addition to really boost this park's limelight to continue that huge growth because when Epic opens, far away travelers will have a better option for that. Sure you get people on this coast still, but its not gonna be the same mania this has right now. I also doubt people here for the Olympics are gonna be like "yes let me stay at this super expensive hotel the whole time in LA for this huge event while I'm here to experience all that the Olympics and SoCal has to offer", Universal is more than likely gonna be a day trip still.

I'm sure the hotel does fine and remains open, but I don't think its gonna be this sold out all the time type of thing like we see at Disney or other Universal counterparts elsewhere (at least for a very long while).

Last edited: