Online | Inside Universal Forums

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Apr 26, 2014
So Cal
To the mods, if there is a thread similar to this, please merge it.

Anyways, I created this thread to discuss Universal's online presence. Ads online, websites, mobile apps,etc. and how well/bad they're doing at it.

To get it started, I think we really need an app. Disney and UOR have them (and UOR's is amazing) and I'm really jealous.

I asked a guy at USH about it and he said "We are always exploring new and innovative ways to keep our guests best informed during their visit. Mobile applications as well as other avenues are being continually researched. " So our ETA on an App is probably 2070.

I don't understand the fascination with mobile apps. What could an app provide that the mobile website doesn't already do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Allen The Actor
I don't understand the fascination with mobile apps. What could an app provide that the mobile website doesn't already do?
They can do things websites can't do: for example- Tell you which attractions are closest and how to get there, notify you when a show is coming up, and, of course, convenience.

One big advantage of having an app instead of a web app is the ability to have park info while disconnected from the internet. Not everyone has a smart phone or those who do have one, want to conserve using their data.

Reactions: William
One big advantage of having an app instead of a web app is the ability to have park info while disconnected from the internet. Not everyone has a smart phone or those who do have one, want to conserve using their data.
But a map serves that purpose, no? And even if the app had wait times, it'd still need to connect to the internet in order to be useful.

I honestly think many people love having apps for the sake of the app itself, and not the actual benefit it would provide. An app needs to have a meaningful purpose that can't be served with a website, and so far, I can't think of any uses an official Universal app would provide.

I don't know. I'm pretty dogmatic about apps, so that's probably why I feel strongly against it. Apps aren't useful unless they're maintained, and Universal doesn't have a good track record of doing that.

But a map serves that purpose, no? And even if the app had wait times, it'd still need to connect to the internet in order to be useful.

I honestly think many people love having apps for the sake of the app itself, and not the actual benefit it would provide. An app needs to have a meaningful purpose that can't be served with a website, and so far, I can't think of any uses an official Universal app would provide.

I don't know. I'm pretty dogmatic about apps, so that's probably why I feel strongly against it. Apps aren't useful unless they're maintained, and Universal doesn't have a good track record of doing that.
Hey, they maintain those Dyson dryers pretty well ;)

The internet age has taken over. Humans are nearly extinct.
Whoever said that T23D actually left the park for REAL was nuts!

Comcast IS Skynet! SUPER!!!

I think Disneyland Resort and UOR need an app at least for wait times because of the sheer size of the parks/resort. USH is still fairly small and has a BUNCH of well placed Wait Time Boards, so it's not necessary.

Although at Disneyland, thanks to the new Disability Access Service cards, there's Guest Relations/Info kiosks with cast members all over both of the parks, and anyone can ask them questions about showtimes or current wait times! Very convenient.

Reactions: William

A map isn't going to list menus, prices, and pictures of food and merchandise.  An app gives Universal another outlet to be more interactive with guests.

USH needs to embrace its growing fan base a lot more, just as Disney has done. Yes, we're a smaller community than Disney fanatics, but still, they should still keep us in the loop about developments, tease us with new info and construction, have more fan appreciation events like Disney, and just overall embrace us geeks a bit more. Orlando is starting to bit by bit. I hope USH does as well....

Reactions: transfo
I'm only being a little sarcastic (unfortunately);

You two are behind the times – holding on to the old ways. More and more people would rather pull out their smart phone or tablet than look at a map. More and more people would rather pull out their smart phone or tablet than ask an employee. Many parks have reached the 21st Century and are giving their guests what they want.

Technology is scary. Change is difficult. Old Fashioned is... old.

Reactions: transfo