Online | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm only being a little sarcastic (unfortunately);

You two are behind the times – holding on to the old ways. More and more people would rather pull out their smart phone or tablet than look at a map. More and more people would rather pull out their smart phone or tablet than ask an employee. Many parks have reached the 21st Century and are giving their guests what they want.

Technology is scary. Change is difficult. Old Fashioned is... old.
That's one area USH is still riding the GlamorTrams on.
USH needs to embrace its growing fan base a lot more, just as Disney has done. Yes, we're a smaller community than Disney fanatics, but still, they should still keep us in the loop about developments, tease us with new info and construction, have more fan appreciation events like Disney, and just overall embrace us geeks a bit more. Orlando is starting to bit by bit. I hope USH does as well....
IDK anything about Disney, so could you give some examples of that?

How hard is it to walk into a store and look? Or read the menu? It just seems to encourage laziness to me. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.
Its called convenience.  And having an app with that info can help someone pre plan their day before they even get to the park.

An app could also go a long way in improving this parks efficiency as well. Imagine being able to order and pay for your meal while standing in line for a ride or seeing a show. 

^ Simple. Their fan events like D23, all the special little events they do the entire year for Annual Pass Holders or big fans, all the fan orientated merchandise, their online presence, their willingness to offer behind the scenes looks and previews of how attractions are made, them embracing their past and helping fans celebrate long-lost or closed attractions from the past, etc.

Yes, Disney as a whole is a much larger company and their parks have had more decades of nostalgia being built thanks to the millions of fans over the decades. But if Universal is smart, they'll start slowly embracing their smaller but vocal fan base as well. Because it's only going to keep growing, and while tourists are #1, they should still try to acknowledge and please the mega fans like some of us on here. USH is only going to keep growing.

Reactions: William and transfo
If they want to waste time and resources on an app that requires me to whip out my phone, push buttons and try to tab through things, that's on them. It's just rather useless to me personally. All I'm saying.
Understood. All I'm saying is that there might be people who would like to whip out their phone, push buttons and tab through things. Makes sense (to me) to offer both. Not a waste of time or resources.  I would never force you to use it - but I would use it.

Reactions: William
I'd like to see USH definitely have an app and improve all Internet related services by the time Potter rolls around. Also an immersive ARG would be nice.

Reactions: Chris
I am betting Internet gets the update pretty soon, as it has to happen in-case of Potter, it would also help the Studio to update its internet to go more faster and efficient as it can be a cross-benefit for the entire property

I am betting Internet gets the update pretty soon, as it has to happen in-case of Potter, it would also help the Studio to update its internet to go more faster and efficient as it can be a cross-benefit for the entire property
Agreed. Maybe something akin to Google's Material Design for the website/app (which, if you can't tell, I'm a huge fanboy of) Material design: http://youtu.be/Q8TXgCzxEnw
Its called convenience. And having an app with that info can help someone pre plan their day before they even get to the park.

An app could also go a long way in improving this parks efficiency as well. Imagine being able to order and pay for your meal while standing in line for a ride or seeing a show.
And on my ever-raging battle for a USH app, Ryan brings up a really cool idea with the meal. On this topic: It would also be nice for Google Wallet to be implemented in the park.

I'd love to see something like material but it has multiple options, checking the park map, park hours, Wait times, reservating for food options like a spot in Three Broomsticks, and hell, even FOTL can be implemented if they have it be like a earn points by riding rides and attractions with spending money and you get rewards like Discounts to FOTL passes for select rides. You can do so much of changing the landscape of a theme park app by doing smaller things that can be effective down the line.

I'd love to see something like material but it has multiple options, checking the park map, park hours, Wait times, reservating for food options like a spot in Three Broomsticks, and hell, even FOTL can be implemented if they have it be like a earn points by riding rides and attractions with spending money and you get rewards like Discounts to FOTL passes for select rides. You can do so much of changing the landscape of a theme park app by doing smaller things that can be effective down the line.
Those are really great ideas. To my knowledge, no parks have a points for rewards type of system, and the great thing about material is it is flexible and can adapt to all of those things.

Disney right now is the leader of RFID with MyMagic so why not try something for USH where its a points system, with each ride you go on, each show, going into areas you earn points. The points can act as something for locals whenever they come back multiple times to earn more points. You can then put these points into special things like FOTL access on select attractions at select times, Sneak peaks to shows and HHN, interactive elements could even be as more points (The Wands can possibly be key) where the WWoHP has the wands and you earn points by doing spells. there is so much you can do with a Point system I don't want to go into a long talk.

Disney right now is the leader of RFID with MyMagic so why not try something for USH where its a points system, with each ride you go on, each show, going into areas you earn points. The points can act as something for locals whenever they come back multiple times to earn more points. You can then put these points into special things like FOTL access on select attractions at select times, Sneak peaks to shows and HHN, interactive elements could even be as more points (The Wands can possibly be key) where the WWoHP has the wands and you earn points by doing spells. there is so much you can do with a Point system I don't want to go into a long talk.
Yup. USH needs to look into tech that'll be valuable over time rather than gimmicks.

Reactions: Alexshow.
I think it would make so much sense to test it for Hollywood due to it has the larger focus on Locals especially in the area than tourists. Even though its getting bigger for tourists, it will stay for the locals. Much like DLR here, we're going to have to see something that can connect fans to the parks.

Reactions: transfo
I think it would make so much sense to test it for Hollywood due to it has the larger focus on Locals especially in the area than tourists. Even though its getting bigger for tourists, it will stay for the locals. Much like DLR here, we're going to have to see something that can connect fans to the parks.
UOR took a step in the right direction with their app, so its time for our prime market in Hollywood with so many APs to get a taste of that.