Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 340 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I just don't understand the company's mindset if that's how they really feel about it. Wanting to capitalize and make money on contemporary/relevant properties and keeping links to the park's heritage (in the form of some of the best attractions at the resort) should not need to be mutually exclusive.
A theme park is not a heritage museum. Rides and lands are build to get people in and sell food and souvenirs. When it doesn't perform well anymore (guests are responsible for that) and/or gets to costly to maintain it'll get a wrecking ball and is replaced by something new. Even Walt stated that and I'm positive if he was around the Disney parks wouldn't look like they do now. He was on the forefront of ride vehicles and attractions.
Try so see a theme park as a theatrical performance or rock concert, it's there for a certain time and is amazing until it's gone and that is ok.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand how Pokemon could be a fully themed land. I don't know what rides they would use at all
TOns of options. Boat ride, Pokémon snap ride, safari walk through or ride, bike coaster, interactive ride, poke centers, poke marts, battle arena, etc.

Reactions: Mike S
Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand how Pokemon could be a fully themed land. I don't know what rides they would use at all
I think the possibilities are definitely there. The first ride that comes to mind would be something based on the N64 game Pokémon Snap. If you're not familiar, think MIB but you're photographing instead of shooting. Another idea that immediately comes to mind is a show where guests get to battle each other with the Pokémon showing up via musion or some kind of AR. The aesthetic of the land could be based on any of the towns from the games or anime and the retail would likely use Pokémon Centers or Poke Marts. For a lifelong fan, the ideas flow easily.

I think they should do Super Mario Bento Boxes.

2a0b9a939c68a1db8f0ab63fd7a2a68c8feed94d.400x0.none.jpg
1880.jpg

It's a step above just naming the stuff after Mario characters, since it looks like them too. And speaking of naming food after Mario characters, I'm partial to the idea of Koopasta with Goomballs myself.

More: Cheep Cheep Tacos with fried Blooper Rings. Big Boo's BBQ Burger with Shy Guy Fries. Petey Piranha Salad with Yoshi's Island Dressing, Rosalina's Rotisserie Chicken, Birdo's Bob-omb Poppers, Waluigi Wahhhhntons... etc., etc. you get the idea.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Sorry for the double post.

Reactions: E.Gadd
I think the possibilities are definitely there. The first ride that comes to mind would be something based on the N64 game Pokémon Snap. If you're not familiar, think MIB but you're photographing instead of shooting. Another idea that immediately comes to mind is a show where guests get to battle each other with the Pokémon showing up via musion or some kind of AR. The aesthetic of the land could be based on any of the towns from the games or anime and the retail would likely use Pokémon Centers or Poke Marts. For a lifelong fan, the ideas flow easily.
How about a Safari Zone that encourages picture taking? Maybe there could be a mobile app you use during the ride. The conceit would be sharing pictures of Pokémon that are considered endangered.

How about a Safari Zone that encourages picture taking? Maybe there could be a mobile app you use during the ride. The conceit would be sharing pictures of Pokémon that are considered endangered.
Seeing certain pokemon at random would make it necessary to ride multiple times. People are going to ride until they see rare and legendary pokemon. And for those not familiar with Pokemon Snap see the video. The pokemon ride writes itself. Come on Uni I hope you're reading this.

Have any of you actually watched Pokemon Snap game footage recently or just relying on nostaglia because I thought it was a good idea until I went back and viewed the game. I think it would not be the best choice especially if you are trying to move away from screens.

Pokemon have had people fly on them, ride them around, and floated on water on top of them why not use the Pokemon as ride vehicles and as actual AAs. Imagine flying on the back of Charizard with hmm actually breathing and an AA and not in front of just a screen but over a battle resort with a safari Zone. Imagine feeling the wet breeze as you ride on the back of a Lapras. Imagine being able to choose a side, a team, and joining Team Rocket etc within the land or just being a Pokemon trainer or what you want to be. Imagine being able to see baby Pokemon AAs being hatched. People want to actually catch Pokemon not just see them. People want to battle, why not let them by attaching the Pokemon they catch to a tapu tapu like system.

Pokemon easily can have a full land. Heck it would actually make a great boutique park.

Theme it to a battle resort so you can Hogwarts express it to the land (Cruise ship). Have the land consist of different environments where you can catch (safari zone)/fight pokemon (battle arena). Create a way to interact with pokemon (Pokemon contests/pet park). Lastly have unique rides...(Kids ride the ride pokemon through the caves, surfing on Lapras, Flying with Charizard.)

pokemon_mounts__commission__by_moxie2d-d5dznh0.jpg

Last edited:
Have any of you actually watched Pokemon Snap game footage recently or just relying on nostaglia because I thought it was a good idea until I went back and viewed the game. I think it would not be the best choice especially if you are trying to move away from screens.
What do screens have to with anything. Im suggesting AA pokemon with an all terrain vehicle. The vehicle can go from flying to wheels seamlessly in the game. Also goes through portals. Something charizard and lapras couldnt do. Not to mention the complexity of a animatronic/ride vehicle hybrid...

Seeing certain pokemon at random would make it necessary to ride multiple times. People are going to ride until they see rare and legendary pokemon. And for those not familiar with Pokemon Snap see the video. The pokemon ride writes itself. Come on Uni I hope you're reading this.

However many people are fans of Pokemon and know what you're talking about- a much larger amount of people have no idea what you're talking about. I fall in that category.

These rides will need to be able to appeal to people who might not know the IP- in particular ones that would anchor a land.
I could sell someone who has never seen Jurassic Park, King Kong, Harry Potter, F&F, The Mummy, Men in Black, ET, etc etc on why they should ride those rides- and make them sound appealing. Same with Donkey Kong or Mario.
Telling me I get to see a bunch of animated or animatronics of things I don't have any knowledge or interest in doesn't sound appealing in the slightest. It's the equivalent of Na'vi river journey in terms of interest if someone knows nothing of Avatar. Only I can assume Na'vi river would have significantly better visuals.

I dont think you need to have an understanding of an IP to enjoy a ride based around it. And more people have a general knowledge of pokemon than you're giving them credit for. And I have to disagree with the Na'vi river journey having better visuals. From flamethrowers, lightning bolts, energy beams, etc, Pokemon can do some cool things visually. I think at least...

Just stow some unique Pokemon Go animals in the area and refresh it every year. It should make the Pokemon Go crowd happy and has the ip presented in the park.
Never played any Pokemon game and from what I've seen from it it's not a great starting point for a main attraction imho.

And more people have a general knowledge of pokemon than you're giving them credit for.
You're letting your bias cloud your judgement here. A general knowledge? Sure. They have a knowledge of what Pokemon is. In the same vein that those who have never seen JP know Jurassic Park has dinosaurs. But do those same people know what the hell a "Pokemon snap" is? I'm 34- plenty of people around my age played pokemon- even my kid had the app for a few days... no clue what pokemon snap is. Anecdotal, yes. Certainly, in my workplace, i'd be hard pressed to find 5% of people who have any concept of "Pokemon snap".
And from how you described it- it's me basically doing Kilimanjaro safari but with Pokemon AAs? Ya.... good luck having the GP enjoy that.

You're letting your bias cloud your judgement here. A general knowledge? Sure. They have a knowledge of what Pokemon is. In the same vein that those who have never seen JP know Jurassic Park has dinosaurs. But do those same people know what the hell a "Pokemon snap" is? I'm 34- plenty of people around my age played pokemon- even my kid had the app for a few days... no clue what pokemon snap is. Anecdotal, yes. Certainly, in my workplace, i'd be hard pressed to find 5% of people who have any concept of "Pokemon snap".
And from how you described it- it's me basically doing Kilimanjaro safari but with Pokemon AAs? Ya.... good luck having the GP enjoy that.
I promise I'm not a Pokemon fanboy (ignore my avatar). But I grew up with it. And its not about Pokemon Snap the game. Just the concept of a vehicle going through different parts of the world showing people the "best of" in the pokemon world. The GP may not know pokemon but may still want to see fire breathing dragons and giant turtles with water canons.This is just my idea IF pokemon ever got an attraction.

The wildlife/safari concept is one of the easiest to imagine for Pokemon, and one the general public should grasp as, if nothing else, the one thing they are likely to know about this stuff is that there are magical creatures that you catch. So where do they go after you catch'em? Zoo place? Okay cool. Grasped.

Of course, more than a standard safari ride, Pokemon could effect the experience in various ways regular animals could not, what with those unpredictable electromagnetic, telekinetic, pyrotechnic, endothermic, and hypnotic abilities.(to name a few things they get to play around with when coming up with these concepts)

In my opinion though, a ride set within an ongoing Pokemon tournament(that gets punched in the face by the patented Universal "everything goes wrong" story twist) would make for a more exciting main attraction, especially if ride goers had the ability to effect the outcome of the events somehow. The interactive aspects are the highlight of the Nintendo brands, so if they don't play that up, shame on them.

Also, use a Japanese inspired setting for the land here. Not that it needs to be a real place in Japan(obviously not), but I'm fond of the idea that Universal would steer away from the usual New York and Hollywood themed settings in their new park... which is where I'd assume Pokemon Land would go.

I love how we've veered way the hell out into the pasture at this point. SNW news can't come soon enough lol.

The wildlife/safari concept is one of the easiest to imagine for Pokemon, and one the general public should grasp as, if nothing else, the one thing they are likely to know about this stuff is that there are magical creatures that you catch. So where do they go after you catch'em? Zoo place? Okay cool. Grasped.

Of course, more than a standard safari ride, Pokemon could effect the experience in various ways regular animals could not, what with those unpredictable electromagnetic, telekinetic, pyrotechnic, endothermic, and hypnotic abilities.(to name a few things they get to play around with when coming up with these concepts)

In my opinion though, a ride set within an ongoing Pokemon tournament(that gets punched in the face by the patented Universal "everything goes wrong" story twist) would make for a more exciting main attraction, especially if ride goers had the ability to effect the outcome of the events somehow. The interactive aspects are the highlight of the Nintendo brands, so if they don't play that up, shame on them.

Also, use a Japanese inspired setting for the land here. Not that it needs to be a real place in Japan(obviously not), but I'm fond of the idea that Universal would steer away from the usual New York and Hollywood themed settings in their new park... which is where I'd assume Pokemon Land would go.

I love how we've veered way the hell out into the pasture at this point. SNW news can't come soon enough lol.
There's no real way to make a ride out of a Pokémon battle. If Universal wants Pokémon battles the way to do it is letting guests compete in a tournament.

There's no real way to make a ride out of a Pokémon battle.

I think that is the key element to a successful one, actually.

As a disclaimer- Ive never played pokemon, nor do I know much about them. With that said- that will be the majority of the people riding the Pokemon ride.

With my general knowledge- I could see us meeting someone- a leader or whatever the Pokemon term would be- who is telling us that we are about to enter a tournament (or likeness) and that we need to get our pokemon. We go "catch" one- then that is who is used to fight in the battle. We win. Yay.

That is an easy sell to the audience as well and a very easy to follow linear storyline without getting to0 detailed. Sure, there will be elements and easter eggs that only the fans will notice- but the ignorant people like myself will still enjoy it also.
Just going on a safari and seeing a bunch of "rare" pokemon (that most dont know are rare)- firebreathing or otherwise- seems like a snoozefest for the ignorant amongst us.