Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 296 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Maybe I didn't read it clearly enough - but guests back to back using some device to interact with ride scenery - that's Toy Story Mania, no?

I'm not sure how this concept is unique enough without specific details to not simply be Toy Story Mania reprogrammed and tweaked a little.

Um, actually, this is correct last I heard. How they execute, whether goggles or shield etc. remains to be seen. I still think that it is a very tall order for UC.

On the other note, I was referring to the patent drawings with opposite facing seats not being for MK... unless thing have drastically changed.

Yea, I always figured there would be an AR windshield of some sort. Only conceivable way that things like bananas and shells could work

Reactions: clsteve and Mike S
"E.T. will stay, but Woody Woodpecker and Barney will be torn down.

In its place, Channel 9 has confirmed a Mario Kart ride will be coming to Orlando. It will be a moving track ride where guests wear augmented reality glasses to feel like they're moving through a video game.

“It will not be a basic car ride. Whether it's augmented reality or some kind of scoring thing in the real world. There will be a score element, race element to it and that is what's going to make the ride re-rideable,” said Rick Munarriz with The Motely Fool."

Not excited about augmented reality unless it's the clear glasses you can see through that just add graphics onto the real physical sets. No VR though. I'm surprised it's track based, I would have expected trackless carts that dispatch in groups of 8 and are programmed to give a close race with a randomly selected winner. More excited about seeing the iconic courses built as physical sets than I am about playing a video game and keeping score.

I'll eat a bucket of sand if there aren't screens or 3D used on MK. It's not trolling it's just what the company relies on now when opening new attractions. I mean does the track history at UC recently suggest anything different?

I'll eat a bucket of sand if there aren't screens or 3D used on MK. It's not trolling it's just what the company relies on now when opening new attractions. I mean does the track history at UC recently suggest anything different?
From the patents it sounds like screens or brightly lit LED walls will be used to create cartoony backdrops for sky, clouds, horizon vistas, and extended backgrounds (finally.) I can see screens working if only to make the backgrounds POP with color and vibrancy... But I don't want to see any of the action taking place on screens, just set extensions.

From the patents it sounds like screens or brightly lit LED walls will be used to create cartoony backdrops for sky, clouds, horizon vistas, and extended backgrounds (finally.) I can see screens working if only to make the backgrounds POP with color and vibrancy... But I don't want to see any of the action taking place on screens, just set extensions.

That's what I'm hoping too, everything I've heard about this land is that it's going to be mostly practical and I really don't see any reason why most of it shouldn't be. Maybe a screen on board your car similar to BTTF.

Reactions: Quint
Maybe I didn't read it clearly enough - but guests back to back using some device to interact with ride scenery - that's Toy Story Mania, no?

I'm not sure how this concept is unique enough without specific details to not simply be Toy Story Mania reprogrammed and tweaked a little.

Not really sure how these two would be any way close to being the same.

If that is how it works with riders being seated back to back in a vehicle, then it would be reminiscent of Mario Kart Double Dash. The player facing forward would be driving and the player facing backwards would be responsible for shooting projectiles and other items. They would be an active team, as opposed to Midway Mania where you're really not even aware of the people seated behind you.

Reactions: Quint