New Star Wars Nightime Entertainment Coming This Spring & Summer | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

New Star Wars Nightime Entertainment Coming This Spring & Summer

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm a passholder to both Uni and WDW, but even though I love Uni, I find I end up at MK or DHS a lot because both tend to be open late. I'd love to go to Uni and see them open until 9, 10 or 11, but that doesn't seem to be happening right now.

After the next 2 weeks USF is open 8:30 or later through August. In fact, USF and MK close at basically the same time the entire time I'm in Florida.

Which was my only point that seems to gotten lost a bit.

I'm a passholder to both Uni and WDW, but even though I love Uni, I find I end up at MK or DHS a lot because both tend to be open late. I'd love to go to Uni and see them open until 9, 10 or 11, but that doesn't seem to be happening right now.

During HHN season this past year, I went probably close to 2 months without going to WDW, pretty much because Uni was an option at night. An while nighttime shows like Wishes and RoE may be old, they do draw crowds, which makes the place feel lively. IOA at around 7-8 (if it's open that late) just feels dead.

Agreed. If I want a late trip to the parks I never go to Universal. Because there is no fun night time shows I want to see and the parks normally close early. So when we leave our house at 4 PM it is Sea World during holiday/summer or Disney other times. And just because the shows are old doesn't mean they are not very popular. I love Wishes and Electric Parade. I will watch those shows 50 times and still not be bored. I am not the only one, I talk to people all the time that will watch wishes over and over and over and over. Not to mention they are adding 3 new night time offerings in one year, what is Universal adding?

I have watched Universal's show twice and if I never see it again I could care less. Universal needs more night time entertainment or they will not be able to keep people past dinner hours. And if they can't keep people past dinner they lose out on money when people leave the park, walk past "higher priced" city walk, and leave to go off property for dinner. Where at Disney less people do that because they want to stay for the parade, show, or fireworks that the park has to offer. Now that Animal Kingdom is going to have night time stuff you are now talking about all 4 parks whether they are half day parks or not able to keep people there and spend more money on food.

I am a reasonable person that can admit Universal is kicking Disney's butt in new rides, they are kicking their butt in speed of opening their new rides, and they are with their new lands doing a really good job of immersion. However, Disney is kicking Uni's butt in night time entertainment and that honestly keeps people in the parks AND gets more people in the parks that are night owls. Disney is doing A LOT of things wrong, but not in this area, they are doing everything right. Adding new shows, while keeping classics people love.

MK is open the longest and the largest park. But let's compare DHS and Universal Studios which is the only fair one to compare to since it has a night time show.

Studios is closing at 7 PM Sunday thru Friday. DHS is closing at 8 or 8:30 PM Sunday thru Friday. In fact the only Disney Park to close earlier than IOA or Studios is AK and that will change when the night time stuff comes this spring. I bet you moving into the slow period next January that IOA and Studios will close before all 4 Disney parks.

Last edited:
Agreed. If I want a late trip to the parks I never go to Universal. Because there is no fun night time shows I want to see and the parks normally close early. So when we leave our house at 4 PM it is Sea World during holiday/summer or Disney other times. And just because the shows are old doesn't mean they are not very popular. I love Wishes and Electric Parade. I will watch those shows 50 times and still not be bored. I am not the only one, I talk to people all the time that will watch wishes over and over and over and over. Not to mention they are adding 3 new night time offerings in one year, what is Universal adding?

I have watched Universal's show twice and if I never see it again I could care less. Universal needs more night time entertainment or they will not be able to keep people past dinner hours. And if they can't keep people past dinner they lose out on money when people leave the park, walk past "higher priced" city walk, and leave to go off property for dinner. Where at Disney less people do that because they want to stay for the parade, show, or fireworks that the park has to offer. Now that Animal Kingdom is going to have night time stuff you are now talking about all 4 parks whether they are half day parks or not able to keep people there and spend more money on food.

I am a reasonable person that can admit Universal is kicking Disney's butt in new rides, they are kicking their butt in speed of opening their new rides, and they are with their new lands doing a really good job of immersion. However, Disney is kicking Uni's butt in night time entertainment and that honestly keeps people in the parks AND gets more people in the parks that are night owls. Disney is doing A LOT of things wrong, but not in this area, they are doing everything right. Adding new shows, while keeping classics people love.

I get where you're coming from...but I think if Universal saw a problem keeping people or that they were losing money, I think we would have seen a change by now.

The new Uni isn't in the business of letting money slip away.

I can't agree with you more. When planning for our visit this year, my wife and I were only planning to only do 2 days at Disney. Full day at MK and EPCOT and DHS in one day but now we're looking to get a 14 day pass, we're planning to do a full day at all the parks purely because of the night time entertainment. We've never done EPCOT at night so I think that's a must now, the new Star Wars fireworks is a must and of course the new show at AK. Magic Kingdom, I can take it or leave it because I think it's always too busy and I hate the race to the monorail or boat the second they finish. We're looking at maybe going to California Grill and watching the fireworks from there but I'm not sure what the dress code is and if it requires something more than shorts and t shirt, we really can't be bothered to head back to Cabana Bay to get changed and then head back but I suppose that doesn't need to be done on the same day.

I live a little under an hour away from Orlando. If I want to go to Uni out of the blue, I need to be out of the house by 3 PM. Any later and it's a waste of time if the parks are closing at 8 like they typically do. When I had my Disney AP, I could leave at 4 or 4:30, head to DTD/Springs to grab dinner, then get into MK around 6-6:30 and not have to worry about cramming stuff in.

I can't agree with you more. When planning for our visit this year, my wife and I were only planning to only do 2 days at Disney. Full day at MK and EPCOT and DHS in one day but now we're looking to get a 14 day pass, we're planning to do a full day at all the parks purely because of the night time entertainment. We've never done EPCOT at night so I think that's a must now, the new Star Wars fireworks is a must and of course the new show at AK. Magic Kingdom, I can take it or leave it because I think it's always too busy and I hate the race to the monorail or boat the second they finish. We're looking at maybe going to California Grill and watching the fireworks from there but I'm not sure what the dress code is and if it requires something more than shorts and t shirt, we really can't be bothered to head back to Cabana Bay to get changed and then head back but I suppose that doesn't need to be done on the same day.

I don't think any restaurant in Disney has a dress code. My understanding shorts and tee is fine. My friends went there and they were in their park cloths.

I never rush after fireworks. I instead stick around and ride more rides while the lines are short and catch the late parade. Much more relaxing. Get some funnel cake or ice cream too :)

I don't think any restaurant in Disney has a dress code. My understanding shorts and tee is fine. My friends went there and they were in their park cloths.

I never rush after fireworks. I instead stick around and ride more rides while the lines are short and catch the late parade. Much more relaxing. Get some funnel cake or ice cream too :)
The following have dress codes (copied from the Food Blog)

Artist Point, Wilderness Lodge Resort
California Grill, Contemporary Resort
Citricos, Grand Floridian Resort
Flying Fish, Boardwalk Resort
Il Molino New York Trattoria, Swan Resort
Jiko, Animal Kingdom Resort
Narcoossee’s. Grand Floridian Resort
Shula’s Steakhouse, Dolphin Resort
Todd English’s bluezoon, Dolphin Resort
Yachtsman Steakhouse, Yacht Club Resort

Reactions: Scott W.
The following have dress codes (copied from the Food Blog)

Artist Point, Wilderness Lodge Resort
California Grill, Contemporary Resort
Citricos, Grand Floridian Resort
Flying Fish, Boardwalk Resort
Il Molino New York Trattoria, Swan Resort
Jiko, Animal Kingdom Resort
Narcoossee’s. Grand Floridian Resort
Shula’s Steakhouse, Dolphin Resort
Todd English’s bluezoon, Dolphin Resort
Yachtsman Steakhouse, Yacht Club Resort

Interesting. And what is the dress code? My friends never mentioned changing or anything.

Interesting. And what is the dress code? My friends never mentioned changing or anything.
It says “Men: Khakis, slacks, jeans, dress shorts, collared shirts. Sport coats are optional.
Ladies: Capris, skirts, dresses, jeans, dress shorts.
Not permitted in dining room: Tank tops, swimwear, hats for gentleman, cut offs, or torn clothing. While T-shirts are now allowed, the policy remains that T-shirts with offensive language or graphics are not acceptable.”

Disney Dining Dress Codes | the disney food blog

Reactions: Scott W.
It says “Men: Khakis, slacks, jeans, dress shorts, collared shirts. Sport coats are optional.
Ladies: Capris, skirts, dresses, jeans, dress shorts.
Not permitted in dining room: Tank tops, swimwear, hats for gentleman, cut offs, or torn clothing. While T-shirts are now allowed, the policy remains that T-shirts with offensive language or graphics are not acceptable.”

Disney Dining Dress Codes | the disney food blog

Gotcha, so really you could wear that stuff in the parks and then go there. Khaki shorts with a better top would work in the parks. Probably why they never mentioned it.

Gotcha, so really you could wear that stuff in the parks and then go there. Khaki shorts with a better top would work in the parks. Probably why they never mentioned it.

I find this kind of off putting personally but this might just be me. Although I know I could show up fairly casual, every photo I've seen of the restaurant shows everybody a bit more dressed up and I think I'd feel a little uncomfortable. I think relaxing after the fireworks with a funnel cake or an ice cream like you said sounds like a more relaxing experience. I've now started looking at places to eat on tripadvisor. The melted pot looks like an interesting experience.

I find this kind of off putting personally but this might just be me. Although I know I could show up fairly casual, every photo I've seen of the restaurant shows everybody a bit more dressed up and I think I'd feel a little uncomfortable. I think relaxing after the fireworks with a funnel cake or an ice cream like you said sounds like a more relaxing experience. I've now started looking at places to eat on tripadvisor. The melted pot looks like an interesting experience.

Melting pot is just ok in my opinion, but only because Colorado fondue is much better in my opinion, but also much further from Disney.

Yes, I love after the fireworks at Magic Kingdom if it has a second parade. So relaxing, it is cooler, crowds are lighter, etc. That is why we tend to go to MK at 4 or 5 pm at night instead of early morning.

Reactions: martymcflyy85
Doesn't MK also earn about 10 million more visitors per year? I'm sure that buys them the extra 2-3 hours they're open.

It sometimes is way more than that. It was open until midnight one random Saturday in January when studios closed at 7 or 8. But yes, MK will always stay open way longer since it is a larger park. I would just like to see one of Uni's park stay open later and have a good night time show. It doesn't even need to be every night.

Reactions: martymcflyy85
I know this is a little off topic, but I think the best USF night show would need to be a theater type show inside of a purpose built theater instead of their current setup. They could even re-purpose it for a smaller daytime show when the night time one isn't running. IOA would be the location for the ideal UOR nighttime show.