New Costume Character | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

New Costume Character

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Ah... makes sense... I never stopped to see the show.

Ah. It's a good show, but it doesn't suit everybody's tastes. I make a point to see a show or two each day I visit. And there's a specific cast that I prefer over all others. It's worth seeing a first time, and if you don't like it, you never have to see it again. :)

Oh please let this mean that Universal is bringing back some of the legacy of characters that they had the rights to use and used to. Such as The Marx Brothers, Charlie Chaplin, Laurel and Hardee, W.C. Fields and such.

At least Chaplin, man!

He's still incredibly recognizable. Laurel and Hardy are a bit more obscure now to most of the younger generation. Same for the Marx Bros. except for Groucho.

I think she's just a generic character. It is most definitely NOT Scarlett O'Hara, as the costume is from the wrong era. Reminds me of Meet Me In St Louis. I also love all the street entertainment we've added recently.

1082cx.jpg

I hope you all enjoy this picture!

Last edited:
Movie looks very interesting, almost like a mash up of Coraline and Monster House. I think stop motion movies are the best to see in 3D because you can see every little detail. Coraline was the best movie I ever saw in 3D at my local theater and I think it was the only one worth paying the extra price for. I think this one will be no different.

It is done with legit Stop Motion in the sense models are actually used. And hey, another family market film Universal will own the rights to.

Received this excellent explanation of the history and more current situations surrounding costumed characters at Universal Studios. It may answer for you many of the questions you have been wondering about, and a few you hadn't thought to ask.

From the opening of Universal Studios until January of 2002, the street actor department was called Celebrities. It is now called USF Atmosphere. One reason they eliminated the Celebrities is the same reason they scaled back on everything after 9/11: Money. Each of those intellectual properties we call a Celebrity cost Universal 10K per year to license. After 9/11, only 5K guests were coming through the gate every day as compared to 25K-30K. Universal looked to cut back anywhere they could. Think about it: 30K for Marx Bros., 20K for Laurel and Hardy, 20K for Ricky and Lucy Ricardo, 20K for Mae West and W.C. Fields, 10K for Marilyn Monroe, 10K for Charlie Chaplin...etc. The only Celebs that survived the cut of 2002 were Ricky and Lucy Ricardo. This was most likely because Universal was afraid they would lose the rights to the Lucy Tribute if they cut the appearances of the characters.

Another reason Universal cut the Celebrities was casting. Many professional lookalikes are accustomed to being paid up to $150 per hour. Universal paid $15-$20 on average per hour. This played into other issues that caused a lot of union/Equity talk while the Celebrities department existed. Quite possibly another reason the department went through a big transition.

Marilyn Monroe has made a return and now joins Ricky and Lucy Ricardo during daily operations. An interesting part of the process for Lucy and Ricky Ricardo is approval from the Arnaz estate. After Universal has their auditions and fittings and trainings and cuts for the Ricardos, FINAL approval for each actor has to come from Lucie Arnaz. Any Ricky or Lucy has to be video recorded and the clips are sent to Ms. Arnaz for a “Yes” or “No”.