Live Theatre / Musicals | Page 19 | Inside Universal Forums

Live Theatre / Musicals

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
On that's on the ship? Fun! It's an incredibly fun show!

NYC Trip Update:

I freaked about my hotel reservation through a third party and called the hotel directly, my reservation went through. PHEW.

Here's my show short list so far.

A Beautiful Noise
Shucked
Fat Ham
Some Like It Hot
Blue Man Group
Sleep No More
Funny Girl
Sweeny Todd
NY NY
Little Shop of Horrors
BTTF
Here Lies Love

Tickets for Here Lies Love dance floor are acquired. "Dance floor?" you might ask. Well that's because I'll be *here*.

And it's going to be a dance party. I cannot wait.

Anyway, Blue Man just updated their show so I need to get around to see the new material. Sleep No More is likely happening Saturday night. Some Like It Hot is a must and the rest will depend on lotteries and such. BTTF is basically at the bottom of the list of shows because it's going to have a full summer run 90 minutes from my apartment next year.

Norwegian has a bunch of Broadway stuff. Our ship has Six and Jersey Boys. Their newest ship actually just secured the rights to Beetlejuice.

Norwegian has a bunch of Broadway stuff. Our ship has Six and Jersey Boys. Their newest ship actually just secured the rights to Beetlejuice.

I need to get on this ship just for this purpose. I love Beetlejuice so much.

Although.. when I saw it on Broadway.. I was like I can't see how this could tour. Let alone work on a cruise ship. :lmao: A LOT of moving parts to say the least.

Reactions: Doug A.

I need to get on this ship just for this purpose. I love Beetlejuice so much.

Although.. when I saw it on Broadway.. I was like I can't see how this could tour. Let alone work on a cruise ship. :lmao: A LOT of moving parts to say the least.
I would go on this cruise just for that purpose as well!! I just saw the touring version and I absolutely loved it!

Yes I am!

Here's the "hack" - note, this is something the Hotel allows you to do. I've asked them directly, and you aren't breaking any rules.

Instead of waiting for tickets to go on sale and purchasing them for a specific date, consider getting a "package for two" through the Hotel's official gift shop.
This works out to $135 for each person. The cheapest available tickets for Sleep No More start at $138 after fees... but that's only for non-peak days, i.e. Sunday-Thursday. Friday and Saturday start at $165 for general admission after fees.

Gift package tickets can be used for any date, including peak nights, so long as the date is not sold out. When the date comes available, you just email or call the box office (instructions are included with your voucher) and they will book you. If you are planning to go on a Friday or Saturday evening performance and would like to save about $30 per person, this is the way to do it. These tickets also do not expire - and there is a decent chance Emursive will raise prices again by the time fall tickets go on sale, increasing the potential savings.

The caveats with this hack: Your party needs to be even-numbered. It isn't especially useful if you are planning to attend on a Sunday-Thursday evening (or a Saturday/Sunday matinee) unless you want to lock in the current price, which may be prudent, as they do go up regularly. And you cannot do this last-minute - it takes 24-48 hours for the box office to send you the voucher. Redeeming it is pretty instantaneous if you call the box office during normal hours, as they are very kind and responsive.

Note that this hack also works for VIP "Oz's Guest" tickets, as they also sell Oz 2-ticket packages - in fact, you end up saving even more relative to an Oz ticket for Friday or Saturday evening purchased directly.

Hopefully that makes sense and is helpful to anyone planning to try the show. Happy to answer any questions. I would strongly recommend a Friday or Saturday evening performance, as, again, those shows are historically less crowded, and you want a favorable audience-to-performer ratio to get the optimal experience.

Here's the "hack" - note, this is something the Hotel allows you to do. I've asked them directly, and you aren't breaking any rules.

Instead of waiting for tickets to go on sale and purchasing them for a specific date, consider getting a "package for two" through the Hotel's official gift shop.
This works out to $135 for each person. The cheapest available tickets for Sleep No More start at $138 after fees... but that's only for non-peak days, i.e. Sunday-Thursday. Friday and Saturday start at $165 for general admission after fees.

Gift package tickets can be used for any date, including peak nights, so long as the date is not sold out. When the date comes available, you just email or call the box office (instructions are included with your voucher) and they will book you. If you are planning to go on a Friday or Saturday evening performance and would like to save about $30 per person, this is the way to do it. These tickets also do not expire - and there is a decent chance Emursive will raise prices again by the time fall tickets go on sale, increasing the potential savings.

The caveats with this hack: Your party needs to be even-numbered. It isn't especially useful if you are planning to attend on a Sunday-Thursday evening (or a Saturday/Sunday matinee) unless you want to lock in the current price, which may be prudent, as they do go up regularly. And you cannot do this last-minute - it takes 24-48 hours for the box office to send you the voucher. Redeeming it is pretty instantaneous if you call the box office during normal hours, as they are very kind and responsive.

Note that this hack also works for VIP "Oz's Guest" tickets, as they also sell Oz 2-ticket packages - in fact, you end up saving even more relative to an Oz ticket for Friday or Saturday evening purchased directly.

Hopefully that makes sense and is helpful to anyone planning to try the show. Happy to answer any questions. I would strongly recommend a Friday or Saturday evening performance, as, again, those shows are historically less crowded, and you want a favorable audience-to-performer ratio to get the optimal experience.

Hell yeah that sounds great. The downside is deff one I get and might be an issue with my party, but I am definitely considering this. Thanks!

Reactions: Clive
Saw the Boleyn tour of SIX last night, my first viewing of the show. Honestly… is it a hot take to say this is a massively overrated show?

Like look, it isn’t bad at all. However, I’d save all your money and just enjoy the cast album. The show is not worth broadway prices for an 80 minute show where I felt I didn’t learn a thing about these woman I didn’t know before. Some songs were good, it’s good for kids, but I do not find it revolutionary. They could’ve done way more with this concept and I felt it was an extremely thin 80 minutes. Good talent but lacking content. For a $65 balcony seat I do not find my money was well spent frankly.

Saw the Boleyn tour of SIX last night, my first viewing of the show. Honestly… is it a hot take to say this is a massively overrated show?

Like look, it isn’t bad at all. However, I’d save all your money and just enjoy the cast album. The show is not worth broadway prices for an 80 minute show where I felt I didn’t learn a thing about these woman I didn’t know before. Some songs were good, it’s good for kids, but I do not find it revolutionary. They could’ve done way more with this concept and I felt it was an extremely thin 80 minutes. Good talent but lacking content. For a $65 balcony seat I do not find my money was well spent frankly.

I think you missed the point of the show.

I think you missed the point of the show.
I didn’t expect anything high brow but I think I did. Even at the end the Queens are asking what the point of this all is and I felt I agreed. The pacing became off, jokes were not landing, but this was in a very large theatre (PPAC in Providence RI) and I wonder if that played a part in my feelings. I’d love to be enlightened more.

I had a good time so no shade here really, it’s just been hyped for forever and I felt a tad disappointed.

Even at the end the Queens are asking what the point of this all is and I felt I agreed.

Yes because competition over who was the best wife of Henry WAS stupid. It's a female empowerment show about how history is determined and draws direct comparisons to modern struggles. Women are more powerful together and they get the powerful endings they wanted at the end.

It's way more of a concert or one-act play than a typical two-act Broadway show, I get how that might not be for everyone. But there are themes, a story, and a narrative here.

Saw shucked on Sunday, and it was adorable. This show was also at the perfect crossroads of all my favorite guilty pleasures (country music, horrible Dad humor, and an intense commitment to the bit), so I think I was pre-destined to enjoy it anyway, haha.

Alex Newell...I just...how effortless they make Independently Owned seem while simultaneously delivering one of the most powerful vocals I have seen in years live is insane! The rest of the cast is so fun, clearly they are all having a hoot up there.

As a set design nerd too, the entire stage was a treat visually! I would not stop looking for more little details in every corner!

Picked up tickets to see Parade later in the summer, and am seeing the Beetlejuice tour in Boston this weekend.

Also, thought it was worth mentioning the Tonys: No real surprises there, I think I was impressed KPop and Almost Famous got nods for anything, while Dancin' not getting nominated for Choreography was surprising (but at the same time I'm not sure it was eligible, in the same way that New York, New York wasn't for Original Score given what was reused or unaltered). Cool to have actually been able to see a handful of shows prior to the Tonys, last time that happened was Waitress (and technically Six, but I saw it in an out of town tryout, lol).

Saw SIX twice on the cruise. Was AMAZING. Jane Seymour especially killed it. I normally don’t even like that song. Several older people left the theater and thought it was the worst show they’ve seen. They did seem to like Jersey Boys (which I do not like).

SIX and Jersey Boys are like the two polar opposite shows.

Reactions: Legacy
Yes because competition over who was the best wife of Henry WAS stupid. It's a female empowerment show about how history is determined and draws direct comparisons to modern struggles. Women are more powerful together and they get the powerful endings they wanted at the end.

It's way more of a concert or one-act play than a typical two-act Broadway show, I get how that might not be for everyone. But there are themes, a story, and a narrative here.
Hey I’m so late to respond here.

I definitely felt the themes, part of me was like… if we’re going for those themes, let’s dig deeper? It’s tough cause it’s a story that COULD dig deeper, didnt have to do so to make SIX work, but part of me wishes it did.

I still liked it, just expected a little more.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe