Live Theatre / Musicals | Page 18 | Inside Universal Forums

Live Theatre / Musicals

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
PITTSBURGH IS GETTING COMPANY NEXT SEASON BRB CRYING AND THROWING UP AT THE SAME TIME
It’s coming to Boston and Providence too!!! I’ve never seen the show, I cannot wait.

I didn’t know Kite Runner was touring either. My cousin never read the book, but LOVED the play on Broadway. Not sure how it compares to the book, but looks like Pittsburgh has a top tier season!

Reactions: PenguinCowboy
Company is a great show-- if you haven't seen it yet the production they did with NPH a few years ago and released in theaters through Fathom is fantastic: Company (2011) - IMDb
Personally, I'm also a fan of the Raúl Esparza version too! Was my first exposure to the show and there's something about that final "Being Alive" note mixed with the simple camera work that gets me. I'm so curious when it comes through Boston because I heard just so many mixed reactions when it was on Broadway with the gender swap, I'll definitely be entering the lotto

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Personally, I'm also a fan of the Raúl Esparza version too! Was my first exposure to the show and there's something about that final "Being Alive" note mixed with the simple camera work that gets me. I'm so curious when it comes through Boston because I heard just so many mixed reactions when it was on Broadway with the gender swap, I'll definitely be entering the lotto

It was incredible and anyone who complains can F off. :lol:

• Haha
It was incredible and anyone who complains can F off. :lol:
Haha, they all unilaterally praised the set and production design and a couple standout performances! I think their main complaints were in the underutilization of the gender swap and that despite an effort to integrate more openly queer representation within the storytelling, they made some interesting decisions to cut/change the show in a way that made it almost less so. The decision to refocus the Joanne proposition to her husband instead of keeping it with her, and the cutting entirely of the Peter scene instead of addressing it in any way, regardless of whether it was reworked at all or even given to Susan (among other things).

Now, granted, Sondheim also has gone on the record that he didn't truly care for queer readings of Robert, as he felt it a little handwavey and a "simple" solution to a more complex set of character circumstances and dynamics, but that's mostly out the window with this production anyway. I'm super excited to see it though, I wish I could have caught it in its initial run, but so curious to hear the touring cast!

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Haha, they all unilaterally praised the set and production design and a couple standout performances! I think their main complaints were in the underutilization of the gender swap and that despite an effort to integrate more openly queer representation within the storytelling, they made some interesting decisions to cut/change the show in a way that made it almost less so. The decision to refocus the Joanne proposition to her husband instead of keeping it with her, and the cutting entirely of the Peter scene instead of addressing it in any way, regardless of whether it was reworked at all or even given to Susan (among other things).

Now, granted, Sondheim also has gone on the record that he didn't truly care for queer readings of Robert, as he felt it a little handwavey and a "simple" solution to a more complex set of character circumstances and dynamics, but that's mostly out the window with this production anyway. I'm super excited to see it though, I wish I could have caught it in its initial run, but so curious to hear the touring cast!

Hot take is the queer reading isn’t need with Paul/Jamie dynamic and the fact it’s now about a woman at 35.

Or to put it another way…

Everything's different
Nothing's changed
Only maybe slightly
Rearranged

Managed to secure tickets for Hamilton on the UK tour.

I don’t know if the pricing is cheaper because high ticket prices just wouldn’t fly in Scotland but for a seat fairly close to the front, was like 80 bucks each.

Managed to secure tickets for Hamilton on the UK tour.

I don’t know if the pricing is cheaper because high ticket prices just wouldn’t fly in Scotland but for a seat fairly close to the front, was like 80 bucks each.

The base prices for tours are always more reasonable if you can catch them early. You'll have a great time!

Reactions: Scott W.
Just got back from a weeklong, somewhat impromptu trip to NYC. Saw too many shows, many of which are still in previews (meaning they could still experience adjustments ahead of their official debuts).

• CAMELOT: The book has been radically reworked by Aaron Sorkin, and the results are terrific. The story loses none of its massive, ambitious scope but makes each of its characters more grounded, human, and tragic, particularly Guinevere, portrayed with ferocity by Phillipa Soo. Magic is excised from the story - mostly - and is replaced with a more straightforward exploration of mythmaking and government building. That may sound dry, but I assure you I was riveted for the full 3 hours - it's a long show, and I know they're still tinkering, but there wasn't much fat left in my performance. This is the one I plan to see again if it's still open in the Winter.
  • BOB FOSSE'S DANCIN': The pure technical ability of the dancers is undeniable, and many of the performances are overwhelmingly impressive. Still, I liken it to eating a cake made entirely of frosting. Each taste is pleasurable, but sooner or later, you're left craving more substance. The show is exclusively made up of vignettes, some of which have light serial elements (think the climax in SINGIN' IN THE RAIN), but the production is proud to announce there is no plot - except, again, when there sort of is. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're a dance enthusiast, and even then, I think there are probably better offerings out there.
  • SHUCKED: A delightful surprise. I was able to snag cheap front row seats, as they are aggressively pricing the show during previews, presumably with the hope of building word of mouth - and I am happy to contribute to that effort. This is not a show that will change your life. It is VERY lightweight. But if you want a night of uproarious laughs and a simple, modernized plot that recalls the Oklahomas and Music Mans of days gone by, you'll have a great time. The hardworking, constantly-winking-at-the-audience cast won me over fast, and I left the theater grinning.
  • KIMBERLY AKIMBO: I am baffled that we are considering this the Best Original Musical frontrunner. While Victoria Clark is extremely talented and does bring plenty of charm and gravitas to Kimberly, the show - particularly the book - is kind of a mess. It ends where it really should have started, and the story does not interrogate the most intriguing themes presented by its grim premise. It almost feels like it wants to be a more family-oriented show instead of the bleak character study it's begging to be. I could overlook the narrative weakness if the songs were better, but they're mostly forgettable. A disappointment.
  • THE STRANGE UNDOING OF PRUDENCIA HART: This "lyrical play" is site-specific and tailored to whatever venue is currently hosting it. It's picture perfect for The McKittrick Hotel, the multi-venue facility that primarily is the home to SLEEP NO MORE (more on that in a moment). This show also has a hyper-specific subject, and I wish I had known more about it going in. If you have a chance to see it here or elsewhere (I believe it's still touring to various spots around the country), do a little googling so you have more of an appreciation for what Prudencia is enraptured by and the historical context under which the play was written. The performers were all splendid, though it is fascinating to see how much has changed in terms of acceptability in the past ten years - in particular, a borderline sexual assault is quickly waved away as a non-issue in a manner that would absolutely not fly today. I am also told that the ending of the play was adjusted from its original incarnation, and it sounds like I would have preferred that ending. Still worth checking out, I think, if you enjoy folk-like performances and shows that take big swings.
  • THE ILLUSIONIST'S TABLE WITH SCOTT SILVEN: I love the illusory arts and briefly took some basic lessons at The Magic Castle to learn more about its fundamentals. Scott Silven is a reknowned mentalist/illusionist who has been touring his intimate dinner parties for a few years now. He is also currently nesting at The McKittrick (I spent too much money at The McKittrick). The performance here was pretty remarkable: I know some of the basics of mentalism and how he was completing some of his tricks, but others were so complex that I could not possibly figure out how he was combining so many different techniques in so short a span. I went with my father (who is also giddy about magic), and I was fortunate enough to be intimately involved in one of the most impressive tricks: My father is convinced I was a plant or was somehow "in on it" before the performance began. That's how jaw-dropping some of this stuff was. If you enjoy "leaning in" and relishing the mystery of it all, this comes highly recommended.
  • SLEEP NO MORE: My favorite theatrical experience anywhere. I have seen the show upwards of 30-40 times (which is low amongst enthusiasts) and did four visits this trip. A new cast has cycled in for the new year, and they are already making bold, spectacular choices. Some of them definitely became aware of my presence throughout my several runs and were kind enough to give me a bit of special, personalized attention. I also was blessed with numerous 1:1s, the special, private show moments that occur when a performer "sees" you and takes you to a secluded, otherwise inaccessible space. Several of these 1:1s were new to me - including one that heavily draws from PSYCHO and Norman Bates - and only deepened my love for the mysteries of the hotel. If you enjoy haunts and immersive theater, Sleep No More is unmissable. Once you do it once, you'll want to go again, and again, and again...

My cousin saw the first preview of New York New York last night and has sent all of us a big ol’ RAVE review. Anna Uzele apparently gets a 2nd act standing ovation. She hasn’t seen Kimberly, Shucked, or Sweeney Todd to my knowledge, but she says this is her favorite show of the current broadway season. At least the most fulfilling and entertaining it sounds. Lots of great options in NYC right now!

Reactions: Clive
Got an insanely good hotel deal for August ($400 for two nights with fees and taxes) so I'm doing a two-night, three-day trip to NYC. Already have tickets for the floor of Here Lies Love and my short list for shows are: Some Like it Hot, Sleep No More, and hopefully Fat Ham extends.

Reactions: MrBlonde and Clive
Got an insanely good hotel deal for August ($400 for two nights with fees and taxes) so I'm doing a two-night, three-day trip to NYC. Already have tickets for the floor of Here Lies Love and my short list for shows are: Some Like it Hot, Sleep No More, and hopefully Fat Ham extends.

Already told Joe I'd be happy to give him pointers on how to make the most of his Sleep No More visit, but I'll extend an open invitation. If anyone goes to NYC and is considering Sleep No More, shoot me a PM and we can talk!

Going on a Norwegian Alaska Cruise next week. I plan on watching SIX atleast three times.

On that's on the ship? Fun! It's an incredibly fun show!

NYC Trip Update:

I freaked about my hotel reservation through a third party and called the hotel directly, my reservation went through. PHEW.

Here's my show short list so far.

A Beautiful Noise
Shucked
Fat Ham
Some Like It Hot
Blue Man Group
Sleep No More
Funny Girl
Sweeny Todd
NY NY
Little Shop of Horrors
BTTF
Here Lies Love

Tickets for Here Lies Love dance floor are acquired. "Dance floor?" you might ask. Well that's because I'll be *here*.

And it's going to be a dance party. I cannot wait.

Anyway, Blue Man just updated their show so I need to get around to see the new material. Sleep No More is likely happening Saturday night. Some Like It Hot is a must and the rest will depend on lotteries and such. BTTF is basically at the bottom of the list of shows because it's going to have a full summer run 90 minutes from my apartment next year.

SNM Saturday Night is a good call. Tickets are more expensive, but that typically means it will be less crowded, which makes for a better show experience.

Some Like it Hot is definitely a must. A total refreshing blast.

SNM Saturday Night is a good call. Tickets are more expensive, but that typically means it will be less crowded, which makes for a better show experience.

Some Like it Hot is definitely a must. A total refreshing blast.

Just waiting for those SNM tickets to go on sale for August...

Also, checking out TKTS the past few weeks when did Hadestown get so expensive? Most shows are in the $70-$100 slot and Hadestown was always around $100 and change but the past few weeks its been $150+ a ticket.

Just waiting for those SNM tickets to go on sale for August...

Also, checking out TKTS the past few weeks when did Hadestown get so expensive? Most shows are in the $70-$100 slot and Hadestown was always around $100 and change but the past few weeks its been $150+ a ticket.

They'll go. They always do this.

Also, are you going with someone else? I have a pretty foolproof hack that can save you some $$$.