Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
As a former skipper, I’m relieved this isn’t getting the Pirates makeover when the movies came out. While an over reliance on #STORY is never a good thing for a ride like this, this project does look to be the best possible redo of a classic that modern Disney is capable of. Plus the scenes I’d imagine they’ll be replacing are the ones that weren’t very funny to begin with.

I'm completely okay with this. Improved AAs, a general refresh, and modernization is all good from my perspective.

Is the capacity down because they scrapped those two boats for use in show scenes?
The one boat they named that was from the WDW ride (Kwango Kate) was retired in 2000.

They had one that sank.......
The boat that sank is still in the rotation.

tenor.gif

Reactions: JoeCamel
This all looks good. I hope we get good monkey animatronics! Also glad they went a more tasteful route and didn't dive headfirst into movie tie-in territory.

EDIT: Also, yet another addition to look forward to alongside Avengers Campus, PatF, and Runaway Railway in the next half decade, and maybe the rumored Mandalorian additions to Galaxy's Edge. Makes me feel better about the future of the resort, even if things like a Tomorrowland overhaul, Hollywoodland expansion, and Avengers E-ticket likely got pushed years away.

At least it's not a movie tie-in.

I was hoping for something along the lines of Hong Kong's Jungle Cruise

We'll see how it turns out

For reference:

Last edited:
Reactions: belloq87
I hope a few of the Animals are upgraded as well...but dam this sounds great.

Snow White...Splash....and this kinda insane how many rides are getting tech upgrades (yes..yes Splash is a new theme but its the same ride)

Would we really want advanced and high-quality AAs on this attraction in the first place? Part of the charm of the ride is the inherent unreality and mild cartoonishness of it. Chimps with minimal movement is not only what I'm expecting, it's what will fit best with the rest of the ride.

While an over reliance on #STORY is never a good thing for a ride like this

That's the one mild concern. Apparently every person chased up the pole by the rhino now has a "backstory" and a "personality." I'm guessing that will be reflected in the queue somehow, because there's no way to really do that in the scene itself. Hopefully it's subtle, because nobody should be needing to study the information in the queue to get the "full" experience on Jungle Cruise, of all things.

If this update is going to provide the ride with some kind of narrative story, does that mean they're dropping the conceit of the ride visiting multiple rivers on multiple continents?

That would kind of be a shame; it's a situation where -- paradoxically -- attempting to tell a more fleshed-out story would render the ride even more nonsensical, as it features animals native to specific parts of the world that would not coexist. You can get away with that in the current "episodic tableau" form.

If this update is going to provide the ride with some kind of narrative story, does that mean they're dropping the conceit of the ride visiting multiple rivers on multiple continents?

That would kind of be a shame; it's a situation where -- paradoxically -- attempting to tell a more fleshed-out story would render the ride even more nonsensical, as it features animals native to specific parts of the world that would not coexist. You can get away with that in the current "episodic tableau" form.
This is just me speculating, but I think the entire “story” of a lost expedition can be done in the African sections alone. It’s where all the insensitive scenes are. My rundown is probably:
-Chimp Boat replaces the Pygmy camp
-Trapped Safari
-“Story” wraps up at whatever replaces Headhunter Country

Reactions: belloq87
When the announcement came for PatF replacing Splash and whatnot, I was definitely wondering when Jungle Cruise would be updated since it did have one of the bigger elephants in the room other than the actual elephants. So this announcement is pretty welcome!

As a former skipper, I’m relieved this isn’t getting the Pirates makeover when the movies came out. While an over reliance on #STORY is never a good thing for a ride like this, this project does look to be the best possible redo of a classic that modern Disney is capable of. Plus the scenes I’d imagine they’ll be replacing are the ones that weren’t very funny to begin with.

I honestly thought they were gonna' go for the movie makeover, though now that I think about it, didn't they have some "native" moments in the trailer for that? Might not have helped there.

Anyways, I'm pleasantly surprised they're going more of an original update and leaving the movie aspects as little easter eggs. New animal scenes and general shenanigan's with the Skippers is honestly the best thing to put in!

I know they were looking for a way to get rid of the controversial scenes in the ride and this looks good without shoving the movie version in anyone's face. Speaking of needing to fix something with some controversial elements though, what about removing Captain Jack from Pirates and doing a nice IP-less update like this. Johnny Depp is so toxic right now Disney has completely cut ties with him, yet he has AA's modeled after him in the parks?

On a different note, I do find this a bit hilarious, as whenever Disneyland reopens, they're going to have new stuff all over it would seem. An reworked Snow White, updated Jungle Cruise, and possibility that Avengers Campus opens almost immediately upon reopening of the parks. MMRR won't be far behind at that point, either.

I know they were looking for a way to get rid of the controversial scenes in the ride and this looks good without shoving the movie version in anyone's face. Speaking of needing to fix something with some controversial elements though, what about removing Captain Jack from Pirates and doing a nice IP-less update like this. Johnny Depp is so toxic right now Disney has completely cut ties with him, yet he has AA's modeled after him in the parks?

On a different note, I do find this a bit hilarious, as whenever Disneyland reopens, they're going to have new stuff all over it would seem. An reworked Snow White, updated Jungle Cruise, and possibility that Avengers Campus opens almost immediately upon reopening of the parks. MMRR won't be far behind at that point, either.
I would not be opposed to removing the Pirates IP completely from PotC and return it to its form of an IP-less attraction.

That’s Hong Kong, and thank god we didn’t get that monstrosity

EDIT: For those expecting super lifelike AAs...don’t hold your breath. Outdoor AAs are never gonna be fluid
Fixed, Not sure why typed Shanghai lol

I love the addition of the fire and water effects, but to each their own opinion I guess