Jordan Peele's Nope | Inside Universal Forums

Jordan Peele's Nope

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
May 14, 2014
Seoul, Korea

Specifics as to Nope‘s plot have been kept under wraps up until this point. Peele’s latest, which was made as part of his company Monkeypaw’s exclusive five-year deal with Universal, comes on the heels of his acclaimed horror films Us and Get Out, the latter of which brought him his first Oscar for Best Original Screenplay in 2018.

Get Out‘s star Daniel Kaluuya features in a cast that also includes Keke Palmer, Steven Yeun, Barbie Ferreira, Brandon Perea and Michael Wincott. Peele wrote the script and produced alongside Ian Cooper through Monkeypaw.

Lastly NOPE means Not Of Planet Earth

Last edited:
Yes, yes, and finally, yes. Looks fantastic and I still feel like I know next to nothing about the movie other than it's Peele and alien (on the outset) shenanigans. That's all I need to know so I'll be going dark from here on out but I couldn't be more stoked for it to get here!

A few things that interest me.

• Keke Palmer's character, and the focus early on to Eadweard Muybridge's first bit of the man on the horse. I have to imagine there's a reason why it's brought up--perhaps NOPE (Not. Of. Planet. Earth [as I am calling it]) want those related towards that past transistent moment in time?
  • The film is set in Vasquez Rocks. Or atleast, a portion of it will be. Steven Yeun's character seems to be part of a rodeo show, that is also selling "Alien Viewer" merchandise. Perhaps capitalizing off of that of the mysterious sightings seen in the film?
  • The horse that's upside down in 1 minute and 30 seconds. I kind of laughed from that, but it's a horse that's upside down.
Really feels like we're about to have another Jaws, especially with the unknown feeling that is bound with this film.

There is some genuinely frightening imagery in that trailer if you slow it down and really look at what's happening in some of the shots.

Very excited for this film.

A few things to note. The movie clearly takes place in the early 2000s. Kaluya has just finished, or is working on, the scorpion king and wears a crew wrap hoodie. Yeun seems to be profiting off of the aliens who have come multipme times since their initial encounter. They provide miracles, but miracles like Keke Palmer said can be bad, and this film most likely will be a total Monkey Paw situation. 3C Films has theorized, very smartly, that the disfigured lady and horse in box take place in a scene where Yeun lures the aliens with horses to provide "miracles" for unlucky tourists. Also, the alien seen behind the bar(?) Looks to be the same design as the masks being sold at the stand with the plushies. Maybe this is a village situation where, at least in this moment, the alien is just a human in that costume. Definite Shyamalan vibes already, feels like a grander, more cynical Signs

This actually looks pretty good and could have some scary moments

I'm sure there will be some social commentary to be debated after viewing

But regardless, his attention to detail and general dedication to the craft is admirable

Also, I feel like we haven't gotten a truly great, scary, alien-ish film in a while - we'll see how he approaches it

Looks good, and something I appreciate about the trailers for JP's films is they do a great job of showing just enough for a hook, but not really giving away anything. Like, there's clearly a Sci-Fi/Extraterrestrial theme to this film, but I have no clue where it all goes.

Can't seem to find a thread for this film yet, so if there is one please feel free to add this into it.

Any ways, We got our final NOPE trailer today (There's also a new International trailer as well). It basically reveals the full plot, but still leaves some things up in the air to contemplate.

After doing my due research, I think I can safely say NOPE is a film that might work best if audiences don't go crazy with the speculation. That way, it's less likely we walk out disappointed. That said, it sounds like this is going to be a fun, brutal AF film. Loving the plot about people screwing around with Aliens, the Aliens get pissed, and so decide to attack/slaughter people. July 22 can't come fast enough!

Just saw this. I think whether this is one of Jordan Peele's best will be debated for a while. It depends on whether you buy the science of the alien. Nothing wrong with the psychological motivations of the characters(including the alien), and the visuals are stellar. Just don't think too hard on the physics of it all

Reactions: Cwoolboy
Here's a spoiler-free excerpt from my lengthy review of Nope

With Nope, Peele has crafted a spectacle that is commenting on spectacle. There are themes about attention, popularity, "looking away", the careless exploitation of wild animals for profit, and the fool-hardy idea that wild animals can be trusted or tamed. Those lining up expecting a bloody and gory film are likely to be disappointed. There isn't much blood or gore in Nope, and when it's there, it's sparingly used (the most blood you'll get is during a horrifying sequence involving the Haywood house). Nope also tends to "look away" from some of it's grislier set pieces. Luckily, what we do get to see tends to be incredibly disturbing/ horrifying and will likely stick with most well after the end credits have rolled.

Aiding in the horror department is the phenomenal and affecting sound design by Johnnie Burn and a strong score by Michael Abels. What you hear throughout the film (especially when whatever is in the sky makes itself known) is horrific and nightmare-inducing. Nope also looks consistently pretty, thanks to cinematography by Hoyte Van Hoytema. Most of the film has a distinct barren, desolate, "western" feel. However, the few times we get to visit Jupiter's Claim things brighten up with some lively colors and a fantastic set design (by Ruth De Jong). Expect a memorable mixture of color palettes throughout Nope, both muted and bright.

Nope runs at around two hours, and it definitely feels like a two hour film. The first forty minutes or so are a little slower, as this is where characters and their relationships to each other are established. Not everyone is likely to appreciate a two hour movie, and the flick as whole does have some down-time every now and then. Luckily, Nope more than earns it's length. The proceedings are divided into four or so "chapters", and this is the only aspect of the film that might not have been needed. While what occurs in each "chapter" fits based upon what they’re titled, structuring the film this way comes across as a little clunky, confusing, and odd.

Nope sees Peele in full Spielberg mode (Think Jaws and Jurassic Park). This is without a doubt his Jaws. With Nope, Peele has crafted a smart, thoughtful spectacle that has a lot to say. Not sure how much general audiences are going to dig it. It’s long, intelligent, and likely isn’t what most are expecting it to be. It’s certainly a challenging film, one that aims to make audiences consider the part they play in partaking in spectacle. Nope defies definition and labels. It includes horror, sci-fi (if this is an “Alien” movie it’s unlike any you’ve seen), adventure, and western elements. In the end, Nope firmly establishes Jordan Peele as one of the great directors of our time. It’s a wild, unpredictable ride (and seeing it on the largest screen you can find is a must!)! Be prepared to never look at clouds or the sky in the same way again.

4.5 STARS

Loved it. (watched it twice today...once in imax and once in 4DX. I preferred it in 4DX especially for the last 30 minutes)

Is this film perfect? no. Is this film long? Yes. However the way the story is told and the visuals and the adventure make it incredible.

This by far is my favorite Jordan Peele film. I think this film has some many messages that will be missed on people and I think that's probably is it biggest flaw.

Though many people will say this isn't a horror film....one scene had me so uncomfortable I really wanted to look away.

I will say the ending was a bit divisive but it fits with the ending of jordan peele films.

Also will say the trailers didn't really spoil anything

Also i realize the last 30 minutes are very almost anime/japanese manga influence.

Last edited:
Just got out of the theater. First half was indulgent, maybe even a little boring. Then at the midpoint it becomes maybe the scariest alien horror movie since Fire in the Sky. I felt genuine panic in the theater, something I've not experienced in years. And unlike Fire in the Sky it's not just ten minutes, it doesn't let up for the next hour.

I think this is the point when you could actually call Peele a genius. I don't use that word lightly. Key & Peele was an all time great sketch show with energizing moments of real strangeness, and Us and Get Out were both clever works of social satire with well thought-out central metaphors, but Nope is the kind of movie you make when you just see the world in a slightly different way. Idk, this is probably all hyperexaggerated because I just got out of the theater. But I really don't see how this isn't one of my favorites of the year, at least.

This movie has been stuck in my head all day. The only other recent English language release that had me like this was Everything Everywhere All At Once.

Looking back on it I realizing that the film even subtly hits on race (assimilation/selling out), humans and how we behave, the desire of fame, I will even say the effects of unhealed trauma.

I think everyone looks at Gordy and what happened to the monkey as exploitation of animals but I think its tying into how Jordan Peele felt as a black man in the industry. While they enjoyed the money he brought them, they were always scared and nervous of him. If you watch that scene all the actors are still nervous of Gordy's stand in. I think that's where Jupe comes into play whereas he is the model minority. He isn't considered a threat but as a minority as well as a friend but is still willing to exploit other minorities for gain. We see this through how he tells the SNL story. His own character is whitewashed in that skit but he is okay with it because it boosts his value. Almost fitting the model minority.

This lead Jupe to some weird superiority complex where he feels he can control things that are out of his control.

In contrasts you have OJ who sees things as they are. The moment the white woman hears his name is OJ in the beginning she is turned off as well as her manager getting mad that a young black man is there instead of the older black man. He was himself whereas his sister was fine selling out who she was for money but he was not. He knew his skills but never wanted them to be exploited for fame and fortune. At the end of the film, he became that black jockey who likely wouldn't get credit for being the rider while the film maker gets the credit.