Hollywood Writers Approve of Strike | Inside Universal Forums

Hollywood Writers Approve of Strike

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jake S

Staff
Feb 23, 2023
orange county, ca
from the New York Times:
The unions representing thousands of television and movie writers said on Monday that they had overwhelming support for a strike, giving union leaders the right to call for a walkout when the writers’ contract with the major Hollywood studios expires on May 1.

The unions, which are affiliated East and West coast branches of the Writers Guild of America, said more than 9,000 writers had approved a strike authorization, with 98 percent of the vote.
tl;dr: the unions (WGA west and east) have given union leaders the ability to strike if an agreement can't be reached by the expiration of the current contract (May 1). as has been said in other threads, this is extremely problematic for the entire industry. if you remember the last writers' strike, you're likely in no hurry to experience that again.

if you can't remember the last strike, I hate how young you are.

• Sad
Reactions: SeventyOne
Strike is inevitable and needs to happen. Should have/would have happened in 2020, but COVID eliminated any leverage.

Anyone who enjoys entertainment should be supporting the writers, who have not been able to maintain sustainable careers for many years.

I'll start preparing for all of the extra seasons of my favorite reality shows that will inevitably be ordered and can be filmed quickly, I guess.