HHN 31: Hellblock Horror | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 31: Hellblock Horror

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
To be honest and I might get slack for this but it sounds like this was a last minute house (possibly a lost IP?) that they scrambled together to form something cohesive.
New here and/or didn’t read the speculation? Yeah, this is a last minute house they had to scramble together after they lost an IP. According to all the rumors this was originally going to be a house for the upcoming movie Evil Dead Rise, but that pulled out over the summer possibly because the movie was delayed and won’t be out in time.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
Aliens in a prison? What is that even lol

Wish they would've just done a regular prison. Overrun by deranged psycho killer inmates. Dead guards, Killer inmates. That's what I thought of when I first heard Hellblock Horror. Scary enough and more realistic than a Monsters Inc prison. Although I know that realism is not necessarily better.

And what is this "power core" lore? To be honest and I might get slack for this but it sounds like this was a last minute house (possibly a lost IP?) that they scrambled together to form something cohesive. Just doesn't seem like prison, power core, monsters and aliens go together. Someone correct me if I'm wrong ? I'm not hating on it. Can't form an opinion before I go through. But just curious because HHN house themes are usually much less ambiguous .

Also nothing about the artwork screams alien monster prison to me. Barbed wire doesn't seem very effective for imprisoned aliens !!!
it aint aliens. it be monsters

This honestly might top my excitement list. Putting aside my CitW love, I just love the idea of being the last team sent in there to deal with an absolute hellish cluster of monsters of every sort. That just sounds like a great, fun plot.

It'll come down to the execution and the fact that it's one of the more last minute houses might be a problem though.

This honestly might top my excitement list. Putting aside my CitW love, I just love the idea of being the last team sent in there to deal with an absolute hellish cluster of monsters of every sort. That just sounds like a great, fun plot.

It'll come down to the execution and the fact that it's one of the more last minute houses might be a problem though.

it could turn badly, sure
but i have a strong feeling that it will be great. besides, Case Files Unearthed: Legendary Truth was one of the best houses they have ever done, i rreally really loved it
i expect the same type house here ( and ironically, they might even use the creature costumes from Case Files Unearthed: Legendary Truth for this house)
i actually hope they do use some of them

My predictions (wishlist) for characters, zones, and houses we'll see represented:
  • Nightingales
  • Body Collectors
  • Legions of Horror
  • Invasion!
  • Forsaken sailors
  • Yetis
  • Mouthbrooders
  • Vikings
  • Banshees
  • Tooth Fairy
  • zombies (generally)
  • Hive vampires
  • Fallen demons
  • Seek & Destroy minions
Anything else we're guessing? Fun thing about this house is that the two casts could feature entirely different sets of characters and offer a good reason to see it multiple times.

Nice list--we could probably do bingo cards. I'd add at least one knucklegrunt, all that time to redesign for last year, bound to re-use. Also, given the amount of fan service at the event in general this year, and likely this house in particular, I'd expect an icon/near-icon or two, at least in mannequin form. And Treaks & Foons.

Reactions: ghostsarejerks
My curiosity here is about how much of Evil Dead Rise is going to show through. Had they already begun construction when they lost the IP? If so, I’m curious to see how they could dress an apartment building to look like a prison.
If not, I’m still excited to see how they execute this. I might not be the most excited for this, but it’s definitely the most intriguing

My curiosity here is about how much of Evil Dead Rise is going to show through. Had they already begun construction when they lost the IP? If so, I’m curious to see how they could dress an apartment building to look like a prison.
If not, I’m still excited to see how they execute this. I might not be the most excited for this, but it’s definitely the most intriguing
If there is any I’m not sure how much we will really notice as the movie isn’t out yet.

Would be fun if throughout the run they added new characters to the prison/ took away and was always changing. But that’s just me and I know that’s hard with casting and costuming but ya never know

Reactions: Coolbfitz
Would be fun if throughout the run they added new characters to the prison/ took away and was always changing. But that’s just me and I know that’s hard with casting and costuming but ya never know
I assume a lot of scenes are catered to specific monsters or at least specific kinds of monsters, but for scenes that arent so specific assuming theres an A cast and a B cast they could totally have 2 different sets of monsters depending on when you walk through. Would be a fun way to encourage repeat walkthroughs.

This is a totally straight up rebranded CITW knock-off... welcome kids of the current HHN generation, this is what we got before the dark times, before TWD plagued us with the IP era. What you're seeing is what we old folks fondly look back at in regards to "Demon Cantina", which you'd know as "From Dusk Til Dawn". Interstellar Terror? Yea. That was the movie "Event Horizon".

But anyway, while this screams CITW, it also reminds me of Buffy Season 4 with the military-esque monster containment "The Initiative", which I always felt CITW was an indirect spinoff of.

Anyway... here's your ICONIC cameos from the 2013 house
Icon1.jpg
Icon2.jpg
Jack the Clown & The Caretaker

This is a totally straight up rebranded CITW knock-off... welcome kids of the current HHN generation, this is what we got before the dark times, before TWD plagued us with the IP era. What you're seeing is what we old folks fondly look back at in regards to "Demon Cantina", which you'd know as "From Dusk Til Dawn". Interstellar Terror? Yea. That was the movie "Event Horizon".

But anyway, while this screams CITW, it also reminds me of Buffy Season 4 with the military-esque monster containment "The Initiative", which I always felt CITW was an indirect spinoff of.

Anyway... here's your ICONIC cameos from the 2013 house
View attachment 17109
View attachment 17110
Jack the Clown & The Caretaker
Reminder: Cabin in The Woods was dope AF

People keep saying that this had a short build time, but how short was it really?

I mean Hive was a great house with a short build time and US was still very detailed besides being built in almost no time.

My understanding is that this one had a longer build time than both of those.

Also, what a heck of a concept to get every possible Halloween monster/creature in one house. Whatever bases aren’t covered by the zones can easily be taken care of in this house alone.

Also, what a heck of a concept to get every possible Halloween monster/creature in one house. Whatever bases aren’t covered by the zones can easily be taken care of in this house alone.
It will either be really great or confusing and chaotic as hell

Either way it definitely near the top of my list

People keep saying that this had a short build time, but how short was it really?

I mean Hive was a great house with a short build time and US was still very detailed besides being built in almost no time.

My understanding is that this one had a longer build time than both of those.

Hive wasnt' torn down and rebuilt, it was repuroposed. Same for a lot of the Purge 2015 house (the literal Jiffy Pop scene from Scream). Based on reports this is a complete tear down and rebuild in June, Us had another month of development.

Hive wasnt' torn down and rebuilt, it was repuroposed. Same for a lot of the Purge 2015 house (the literal Jiffy Pop scene from Scream). Based on reports this is a complete tear down and rebuild in June, Us had another month of development.
Do we know if conceptually/layout wise this was one they already had plans for (like Chupacabra or Tooth Fairy)?

Do we know if conceptually/layout wise this was one they already had plans for (like Chupacabra or Tooth Fairy)?
I mean... CITW provides a nice blueprint (excluding the cabin/woods). Or any of their old school Museum/House of Horrors houses from the 90s. Or hell, just mix-n-match Hellgate, Havoc & whatever sets then just add monsters & chaos.

It's such an easy concept for them.

I mean... CITW provides a nice blueprint (excluding the cabin/woods). Or any of their old school Museum/House of Horrors houses from the 90s. Or hell, just mix-n-match Hellgate, Havoc & whatever sets then just add monsters & chaos.

It's such an easy concept for them.
Sorry, I was unclear, I guess I was more curious about the layout itself. Like was this a scripted house they had ready to go, one they might have had waiting in the wings for years? Or is this a top to bottom new design?

Given all the IP headaches they run into in this new era, I was wondering if they now keep a few plans in reserve, just in case?