HHN 31: Bugs: Eaten Alive | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 31: Bugs: Eaten Alive

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I hadn't had a chance to listen to the podcast and it is pretty clear on there that there won't be live bugs. I'm thinking scenic & projection mapping now though. Honestly, it's a missed opportunity. I know there's logistics to it, but felt like they could have had live Hissing Cockroaches & Spiders in the house.

I'm just getting big "we put the Walkers in the water!" vibes. Not worth it for what else it would entail, including maybe controversy. Do you just miss Fear Factor Live that much? ;)

My wife has a huge spider phobia (she has to close her eyes in Forbidden Journey) and this is the first time in her ten years of going that she refuses to do a house. I know if she were to go in she'd have a full panic attack that'd ruin the night.

I just caught a fuzzy, jumping spider and left it in an old pickle jar on her nightstand to help get her ready though.

I think my feeling about this house could be quite common. I absolutely hate bugs of any kind so this house is both the one I'm dreading whilst also looking forward to the most. It's going to have me so nervous when queuing for it and any scare is going to be amplified ten fold, but that's the reason why it interests me so much. I go through houses in the hope of being jump scared and this one will surely do that.

My wife has a huge spider phobia (she has to close her eyes in Forbidden Journey) and this is the first time in her ten years of going that she refuses to do a house. I know if she were to go in she'd have a full panic attack that'd ruin the night.

I just caught a fuzzy, jumping spider and left it in an old pickle jar on her nightstand to help get her ready though.

it is funny because coincidentally, i was watching the TUBI app with my cousin yesterday and TUBI had Eight Legged freaks available, but my cousin couldnt finish it :lol:
this house will be wild. i predict many people looking for the emergency exists.

( the movie was very very hilarious, highly recommend, its free on tubi)

I'm just getting big "we put the Walkers in the water!" vibes. Not worth it for what else it would entail, including maybe controversy. Do you just miss Fear Factor Live that much? ;)
Slightly off topic, but what was the deal with "walkers in the water"? That was before my time lol

Even above bugs, it sounds like the house is trying to push trypophobia too.

Reactions: DeliciousOatmeal
Slightly off topic, but what was the deal with "walkers in the water"? That was before my time lol

From The Walking Dead there were zombies that would walk/rest underwater ad they were dead and didn't have to breathe.

One year they said there'd be submerged zombies scaring you from the water and everybody's imaginations ran wild and people hyped it up expecting amazing things...

Basically, it was 2 scareactors in a hottub on the side side of the path through the house.

It was an attempt at something nearly impossible to do, but we were expecting the house to have an elevated walkway throughout (with the need to be ADA compliant) and a portion with zombies jumping out of the water underneath/around you.

At least that's my recollection.

From The Walking Dead there were zombies that would walk/rest underwater ad they were dead and didn't have to breathe.

One year they said there'd be submerged zombies scaring you from the water and everybody's imaginations ran wild and people hyped it up expecting amazing things...

Basically, it was 2 scareactors in a hottub on the side side of the path through the house.

It was an attempt at something nearly impossible to do, but we were expecting the house to have an elevated walkway throughout (with the need to be ADA compliant) and a portion with zombies jumping out of the water underneath/around you.

I am sure they are just selling the houses right now and I don't think it will literally be so scary that it'll have to close or something. If anything some of the SIF or features may be altered, sliding floor boards of Temple of the Ancients come to mind, just because GP is horrible at handling these fun features so I would suggest taking this house all in opening weekend for full potential then some features will be toned down/removed for the remainder of the event.

Yeah this became priority #1 for me to make sure I get plenty of runs in opening weekend and see what changes over the weeks.

Reactions: Rikku and Coolbfitz

I'm surprised they actually had actors in water lol

I hadn't had a chance to listen to the podcast and it is pretty clear on there that there won't be live bugs. I'm thinking scenic & projection mapping now though. Honestly, it's a missed opportunity. I know there's logistics to it, but felt like they could have had live Hissing Cockroaches & Spiders in the house.
I think it would actually be more effective to rely on props, effects, and the theatrical effects Universal employs rather than having an aquarium full of roaches built into a random wall

As Joe said, it has the Walkers in jacuzzi or the "first haunted house with real fire" type gimmick

Ironically, I think a lot of effects from Hill House and Insidious may be quite effective here...particularly Hill House

The Insidious dark spandex room with the spinning things that would rub against you. The dark room in Hill House with the binaural audio

Some fun projection/scrim trickery plus air blasts and old fashion fishing line

Hell, BGT attached black zip ties to corners of their Infestation house and you rubbed against them, it felt like a roach was crawling up your leg

it is funny because coincidentally, i was watching the TUBI app with my cousin yesterday and TUBI had Eight Legged freaks available, but my cousin couldnt finish it :lol:
this house will be wild. i predict many people looking for the emergency exists.

( the movie was very very hilarious, highly recommend, its free on tubi)

Eight Legged Freaks and the Spider scene from The Mist have GOT to be inspo for them

There's also a bunch of B-Movies that probably gave them some ideas

I'm surprised they actually had actors in water lol
Knotts uses a laser effect that spreads out through the whole room, it looks like you're wading through water and scareactors pop up out of it

It would have been a much easier effect for them

If we're seeing bugs evolve throughout the house I think the first time we see them could be live ones? I don't think it's that out of the question
All that said, this does remind me a bit of Motel Hell: Infestation from Howl-O-Scream
I'd just like to point out that this house seems like "bugs only" rip-off of FEAR FACTOR from HHN 2002 (especially with SIF) with a specific setting (aka 1950s home)

Also Orlando getting a bug house just makes me sad Hollywood didn't bring back EXTERMINATORZ as a house.

I'd just like to point out that this house seems like "bugs only" rip-off of FEAR FACTOR from HHN 2002 (especially with SIF) with a specific setting (aka 1950s home)

Also Orlando getting a bug house just makes me sad Hollywood didn't bring back EXTERMINATORZ as a house.
Fear Factor took place in the dark with black walls, minimal sets, and minimal scares

This will have nice sets, aesthetic, and much much better effects/scares

There is a justified reason why a lot of us have Fear Factor in our "worst house of all time" list

I am sads I am very very sads that we didn't get killer clowns for Orlando.
I miss them silly clowns