Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don't like Boris as the icon - the icon of the event has never been one of the "good guys."

Hoping for but not optimistic about the Horrors of A24.

It would be nice if we had an icon that was legitimately scary again... last one was arguably Bloody Mary, but at least The Usher got plenty of scare opportunities in Silver Screams even if his persona has always been kind of goofy, at best.

It would be nice if we had an icon that was legitimately scary again... last one was arguably Bloody Mary, but at least The Usher got plenty of scare opportunities in Silver Screams even if his persona has always been kind of goofy, at best.
Their best icons had a massive “ick” to their backstories. Jack killed kids. Caretaker in his original iteration fetishized death. Director and Bloody Mary were big on torture. The other icons don’t have anything to that scale, to the extent that Oddfellow (despite how cool he was), is basically a Marvel villain. Pumpkin Lord is a cool-looking children’s villain.

The challenge is that Millennials in the aughts (coming out of the 90s) had the appetite for that sort of grit. I don’t know if a similarly “dark” character will fly now. There’s a small market for that sort of thing (see, “Terrifier”, “Blood and Honey”), but it’s a small market and HHN is a big market event.

Their best icons had a massive “ick” to their backstories. Jack killed kids. Caretaker in his original iteration fetishized death. Director and Bloody Mary were big on torture. The other icons don’t have anything to that scale, to the extent that Oddfellow (despite how cool he was), is basically a Marvel villain. Pumpkin Lord is a cool-looking children’s villain.

The challenge is that Millennials in the aughts (coming out of the 90s) had the appetite for that sort of grit. I don’t know if a similarly “dark” character will fly now. There’s a small market for that sort of thing (see, “Terrifier”, “Blood and Honey”), but it’s a small market and HHN is a big market event.

Yep. There's a reason that even the darker villains have been sanitized (or large swaths of their backstories essentially ignored).

As a relatively new HHN fan (2016), I haven't gotten a lot of Icon years. Chance was in 2016 and she was cool, but I REALLY liked Oddfellow this year. The theme weaving through all the zones really made it feel like a cohesive event.

Oddfellow definitely had a Candyman aesthetic going on.

Dragons was one of the only things that could bring me back for a night this year, so I doubt there's anything that entices me enough next year. But I shall still enjoy the spec!

The Oddfellow whistle going all the way in to CityWalk was awesome but how many people, other than the freaks here, got the refrence?

I appreciated it and hardly none I am sure, just like all of the other nods and detail that A&D puts in that go over the general public's head. This year was my first time going down twice. Early Sept trip is yearly with my family, then I was lucky enough to sneak down with a friend and his wife for their first time there on the last weekend. Delving into the lore with them and little details like the whistle was like a firehose I am sure, but they appreciated it and the passion put behind the event.

How is Eddie too "edgy" for modern HHN? :lol:
I wrote a response post to this but chucked it after Brian rightfully tried to rein the discussion in a bit, but effectively Legacy and Clive speak for me here.

Yep. There's a reason that even the darker villains have been sanitized (or large swaths of their backstories essentially ignored).

Eddie feels like a character that could've worked for a smaller scale, early 2000s haunt event in the right context, but is too gritty and unpalatable for modern audiences coming in for Stranger Things, Ghostbusters, and The Weeknd 20 years later. He works better as a headlining Scarezone character than in an event Icon role.

If we ever do get a grimdark Icon character again, I feel like it'll lean far more supernatural like Bloody Mary than actual violence or torture like early Director or Caretaker.

In my opinion HHN 34 will be better than 33. What's available for this years "potential" is not as intriguing as what "potential" 34 will have. Is that in part to the strikes/delays..... maybe, but as of now I'm not optimistic HHN 33 will have the "Big Hitter" potential like 32 had.
My prediction is HHN33 will be a very strong year of originals and story telling for the future of HHN and icons. Maybe a story that will eventually connect to the Vegas location.
I see IP's coming back heavy for HHN34

Last edited:
In my opinion HHN 34 will be better than 33. What's available for this years "potential" is not as intriguing as what "potential" 34 will have. Is that in part to the strikes/delays..... maybe, but as of now I'm not optimistic HHN 33 will have the "Big Hitter" potential like 32 had.
My prediction is HHN33 will be a very strong year of originals and story telling for the future of HHN and icons. Maybe a story that will eventually connect to the Vegas location.
I see IP's coming back heavy for HHN34
I'm feeling the same thing as you with next year being an off year for heavy-hitter IP's. which given the monster lineup for 32 is really to be expected.

But honestly, I am 100% okay with that. A bigger IP doesn't correlate to better houses, (My top 3 anticipated for 32 were ST4, TLoU, and Dragons, and they all landed on the bottom quarter of my top 10), and I'd really like to see the new original ideas they've got. Here's hoping whatever IP options they do end up landing are ones the team are passionate about and translate well into a haunt/zone format.

For what it's worth, FNAF translates into a Haunt attraction far better than I think most other game series might.

- Distinctive sets and locations
- Simple premise you could easily elevator pitch into a HHN Map blurb
- A good selection of unique animatronic monster designs
- The game is built around jumpscares which obviously translate
- Lots of sound effects and music cues that would fit perfect as they are
- Comes with an easy way to structure the house with the "Five Nights" idea letting different parts of the Pizzaria be split up by "Night #?" rooms to keep the pace up.

Not to mention the incredible potential for merch, food sales or M&G experiences.

I think y'all are putting a little too much stock into the strike stuff.
Yeah, I genuinely don't get this talking point.

For one, there's still a ton of horror releasing in 2024 (see: everyone's fantasy wish lists for HHN33). For another, the follow ups to recent HHN IPs were never dropping in 2024, even pre-strike (i.e. ST5, TLOU2 M3GAN 2, Exorcist Deceiver, Black Phone 2, and so on.). Blumhouse is still going to have multiple releases as always, Weeknd is still on track for his new/final album if that collab happens again, several big IPs for 2024 have had involvement at the event in the past, FNAF still exists, older movies/franchises still exist, etc. Maybe I've missed some big horror delays or something, but the whole thing feels overblown.

For another, the follow ups to recent HHN IPs were never dropping in 2024, even pre-strike (i.e. ST5, TLOU2 M3GAN 2, Exorcist Deceiver, Black Phone 2, and so on.)
I do think it's possible we'll get another TLoU house next year though. They covered only 1 section from the game this year, so I don't see why it can't come back. A lot more to cover from the first game still. Would make a lot of sense that way they don't need to do TLoU 2 right away and by the time season 2 of the show comes out, they can do TLoU Part 2 to coincide with the show.