Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yeah, I genuinely don't get this talking point.

For one, there's still a ton of horror releasing in 2024 (see: everyone's fantasy wish lists for HHN33). For another, the follow ups to recent HHN IPs were never dropping in 2024, even pre-strike (i.e. ST5, TLOU2 M3GAN 2, Exorcist Deceiver, Black Phone 2, and so on.). Blumhouse is still going to have multiple releases as always, Weeknd is still on track for his new/final album if that collab happens again, several big IPs for 2024 have had involvement at the event in the past, FNAF still exists, older movies/franchises still exist, etc. Maybe I've missed some big horror delays or something, but the whole thing feels overblown.
While it's true that studios are pushing major tent-poll releases, they unfortunately don't view horror films falling into that category.
The genre is always the bastard step-child to them, despite it being the one that consistently actually makes them money.

Reactions: EnigmaticGear
While it's true that studios are pushing major tent-poll releases, they unfortunately don't view horror films falling into that category.
The genre is always the bastard step-child to them, despite it being the one that consistently actually makes them money.
I think it has a lot more to do with production schedules (e.g. it takes a lot less time to shoot a horror movie than a big action/Marvel movie, so they have more breathing room to meet their date). At this point, most companies understand the power of horror movies and actively try to develop some for their slate.

That having been said, I would not be surprised if a few bigger releases that require more time get delayed (e.g. Jordan Peele's movie).

I think it has a lot more to do with production schedules (e.g. it takes a lot less time to shoot a horror movie than a big action/Marvel movie, so they have more breathing room to meet their date). At this point, most companies understand the power of horror movies and actively try to develop some for their slate.

That having been said, I would not be surprised if a few bigger releases that require more time get delayed (e.g. Jordan Peele's movie).
That might be some of it, but most of it was due to not knowing if/when stars would be able to go out and promote the movies.

Now that the strike is (mostly) over, I would also expect to see a little shuffling done next year.

My personal perspective is that 33 will be a less IP heavy year than 32, which I think is absolutely reasonable. Last year had one of the craziest and most relevant IP lineups in event history. I expect a 28/29/30 type lineup with some higher tier relevant properties like Weeknd and Blumhouse, but also some cult hits like Klowns or Trick r Treat, or relevant but lower tier IP like Hill House or Us mixed in.

I don't think there is very much on the table that could match a combined Stranger Things, TLoU, and Chucky in 2023. Even with FNaF.

My personal perspective is that 33 will be a less IP heavy year than 32, which I think is absolutely reasonable. Last year had one of the craziest and most relevant IP lineups in event history. I expect a 28/29/30 type lineup with some higher tier relevant properties like Weeknd and Blumhouse, but also some cult hits like Klowns or Trick r Treat, or relevant but lower tier IP like Hill House or Us mixed in.

I don't think there is very much on the table that could match a combined Stranger Things, TLoU, and Chucky in 2023. Even with FNaF.
This is about what I'm expecting as well. 1 or 2 massive IPs (FNAF obviously, maybe TLOU?) with a few smaller ones (maybe a slasher return? F13 to promote Crystal Lake?).

I do think people are underestimating how big of a draw FNAF would be though.

This is about what I'm expecting as well. 1 or 2 massive IPs (FNAF obviously, maybe TLOU?) with a few smaller ones (maybe a slasher return? F13 to promote Crystal Lake?).

I do think people are underestimating how big of a draw FNAF would be though.
There’s controversy surrounding Crystal lake, involving a lawsuit of what the creator did last October. I don’t think there going to do it.

Might I suggest Thanksgiving?

It's a new Eli Roth slasher releasing this week, is getting positive reviews, and from trailers just generally looks like a bloody good time.

It's also not only being distributed by Sony, but produced by Spyglass (co-producers of the new Scream films), so could possibly help get the gears to finally start turning for a Scream house in the future?

It would be nice if we had an icon that was legitimately scary again... last one was arguably Bloody Mary, but at least The Usher got plenty of scare opportunities in Silver Screams even if his persona has always been kind of goofy, at best.

Their best icons had a massive “ick” to their backstories. Jack killed kids. Caretaker in his original iteration fetishized death. Director and Bloody Mary were big on torture. The other icons don’t have anything to that scale, to the extent that Oddfellow (despite how cool he was), is basically a Marvel villain. Pumpkin Lord is a cool-looking children’s villain.

The challenge is that Millennials in the aughts (coming out of the 90s) had the appetite for that sort of grit. I don’t know if a similarly “dark” character will fly now. There’s a small market for that sort of thing (see, “Terrifier”, “Blood and Honey”), but it’s a small market and HHN is a big market event.

I wrote a response post to this but chucked it after Brian rightfully tried to rein the discussion in a bit, but effectively Legacy and Clive speak for me here.

Eddie feels like a character that could've worked for a smaller scale, early 2000s haunt event in the right context, but is too gritty and unpalatable for modern audiences coming in for Stranger Things, Ghostbusters, and The Weeknd 20 years later. He works better as a headlining Scarezone character than in an event Icon role.

If we ever do get a grimdark Icon character again, I feel like it'll lean far more supernatural like Bloody Mary than actual violence or torture like early Director or Caretaker.

its not just the icon, its the entire atmosphere of the park, the music, the scarezones. (music specially)
i dont think an icon like bloody mary would work today, the atmosphere back then was grittier and creepier, zones were darker, music was horror soundtracks, park felt darker,
now it does feel kind of like a videogame. kinda like a nightclub. i think that when stranger things came back, the atmosphere stayed like that.
i just wish that every year had an icon no matter who it is. icons are awesome. they are literally the face of that year.

There’s controversy surrounding Crystal lake, involving a lawsuit of what the creator did last October. I don’t think there going to do it.

That controversy is surrounding the creator's involvement with a different project and has barely penetrated the cultural conversation or general public's awareness. I doubt that specifically would prevent them from doing Crystal Lake if they wanted to, but there are other obstacles in the way there.

That controversy is surrounding the creator's involvement with a different project and has barely penetrated the cultural conversation or general public's awareness. I doubt that specifically would prevent them from doing Crystal Lake if they wanted to, but there are other obstacles in the way there.
Yeah, I know the rights for F13 are a mess, but if they want them I'm sure they could work it out. (they made it work for Crystal Lake)

I'm actually completely oblivious as to what you guys are referring to with the creator.

Reactions: PumpkinHead66
its not just the icon, its the entire atmosphere of the park, the music, the scarezones. (music specially)
i dont think an icon like bloody mary would work today, the atmosphere back then was grittier and creepier, zones were darker, music was horror soundtracks, park felt darker,
now it does feel kind of like a videogame. kinda like a nightclub. i think that when stranger things came back, the atmosphere stayed like that.
i just wish that every year had an icon no matter who it is. icons are awesome. they are literally the face of that year.

It's coincidental we talk about all of this after someone brought up Eddie, who never got to be an Icon way back in 2001 solely because content concerns arose throughout the whole event for very big irl reasons.

He underwent a pretty significant redesign for 2021's Scare Zone, but he was still plenty popular and I have no doubt that he could anchor an event just as well as Oddfellow did.

Also, let's not pretend people only loved The Director for the torture stuff. "You Oughta Be In Pictures" classily playing for every bit of promotion he was in is what did it for me. :)

I wrote a response post to this but chucked it after Brian rightfully tried to rein the discussion in a bit, but effectively Legacy and Clive speak for me here.

Eddie feels like a character that could've worked for a smaller scale, early 2000s haunt event in the right context, but is too gritty and unpalatable for modern audiences coming in for Stranger Things, Ghostbusters, and The Weeknd 20 years later. He works better as a headlining Scarezone character than in an event Icon role.

If we ever do get a grimdark Icon character again, I feel like it'll lean far more supernatural like Bloody Mary than actual violence or torture like early Director or Caretaker.

What frustrated me about Stranger Things this year was that Vecna feels like he could totally be a "grimdark" icon (technically teh event's first icon was an IP).

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
Alright I wouldn’t be surprised if most of these don’t happen but here’s my predictions
1. FNAF- no brainer
2. Wednesday- I just feel like it fits the bill perfectly. Noticed a lot of Wednesday merch at the event this year so it seems like it would atleast be a small crowd eater.
3. Terrifier- speaking of merch I was amazed by how much merch I saw of Art this year! I don’t think the general public has probably seen the films but I think they recognize art as a unique scary clown and honestly that may be enough for it to happen. The house would not have to be as extremely gory as the films and could make a fun slasher house. Also would be a great way to make people shut up about the event being “family friendly”
4. Universal Monsters Darkmoor- I honestly feel like dueling dragons was a kind of test to see if a theme park attraction themed house can work. It seems like a no brainer to me they can make a unique house unlike the past few and also advertise for their brand new theme park opening the next year!
5. Silent hill- originally I wasn’t sold but with a new film releasing next year as well as a remake of silent hill 2 next year it seems like a great opportunity to return to the event. TLOU showed video game houses can work so why not another? Also could be nothing but the remake of the game is a PlayStation exclusive so maybe Sony could want a house for synergy?

Originals
1. Body collectors- I just feel like it’s been too long since they’ve been at the event especially with no representation at 30.
2. Moth man- just seems like the next major cryptid that hasn’t been done yet.
3- leave it to cleaver 2- PLEASE BRING IT BACK ALREADY

If they can snag Wednesday, I think an IP line-up consisting of FNAF, Wednesday, and (dare I say) Silent Hill could come pretty close to a "powerhouse" as this year's was.
5. Silent hill- originally I wasn’t sold but with a new film releasing next year as well as a remake of silent hill 2 next year it seems like a great opportunity to return to the event. TLOU showed video game houses can work so why not another? Also could be nothing but the remake of the game is a PlayStation exclusive so maybe Sony could want a house for synergy?
Exactly, it's easy synergy no matter which route they go for the house.

I know the discussion surrounding Silent Hill has been made, but I seriously do not understand why this couldn't be on the table for 2024. TLOU was a success and Silent Hill is an extremely popular franchise. With a new movie releasing next year and a Silent Hill 2 remake on the way, why wouldn't Universal take this opportunity to reattempt an IP they misused?

I know the discussion surrounding Silent Hill has been made, but I seriously do not understand why this couldn't be on the table for 2024. TLOU was a success and Silent Hill is an extremely popular franchise. With a new movie releasing next year and a Silent Hill 2 remake on the way, why wouldn't Universal take this opportunity to reattempt an IP they misused?
As much as I'd like to see Silent Hill, I find it hard to argue that it isn't a rather niche franchise at this moment. There hasn't been a mainline game in 11 years, and only recently has Konami actually acknowledged its existence outside of pachinko machines.

It's certainly an IP that most have at least heard of, but I'm skeptical it has enough popularity within the general public. Given that Resident Evil has largely remained relevant with major successful releases, and hasn't received any Horror Nights presence outside of Japan, I don't know if we'll see Silent Hill anytime soon.