Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion | Page 215 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
UCM will please every single one of you someway or another. I was not hyped at all but I was told some of what we could expect and it completely gave a new standard. Stranger Things might outdo Crimson Peak in terms of how much scenic is in it. Lotta love was put into those properties. I'm getting mixed reception on TrT. I'm hearing equal parts fan service and phoning it in but to expect it to be on par with Shining in terms of effort. First Purge should be decent, and Poltergeist is the only house I have no idea what to expect. Blumhouse is blumhouse and etc.

UCM will please every single one of you someway or another. I was not hyped at all but I was told some of what we could expect and it completely gave a new standard. Stranger Things might outdo Crimson Peak in terms of how much scenic is in it. Lotta love was put into those properties. I'm getting mixed reception on TrT. I'm hearing equal parts fan service and phoning it in but to expect it to be on par with Shining in terms of effort. First Purge should be decent, and Poltergeist is the only house I have no idea what to expect. Blumhouse is blumhouse and etc.

UCM is gonna be that good:eek:O: Consider me hyped. Do you know if Murdy phoned it in on The Shining last year or was it actually one of his dream properties?

Reactions: chris.g
The thing I'm really impressed by is how under lock and key the theme/storyline for Terror Tram seems to be.. no one knows anything other than Murdy saying it's an original story and it hasn't been done at HHN in any way shape or form.. all this hype and rumor on Classic Monsters is also getting me excited!

That Poltergeist news makes me happy. The way you phrased your comment before made me think that it was gonna go in the crap pile.

How's Halloween coming along? And Blumhouse is supposedly going to have Split?

Honestly, if Trick 'r Treat is set up in the same format as Welcome to Silent Hill was, I honestly wouldn't be too upset. Given that The Shining takes place, for the majority of the movie/maze, in the Overlook Hotel, obviously black walls ruined that illusion. However, I'm fine with black walls for outdoor shots, as long as there are trees and shrubbery there, and considering how Silent Hill took you to different locations in the city, I would be fine if that format is repeated for Trick 'r Treat honestly.

Honestly, if Trick 'r Treat is set up in the same format as Welcome to Silent Hill was, I honestly wouldn't be too upset. Given that The Shining takes place, for the majority of the movie/maze, in the Overlook Hotel, obviously black walls ruined that illusion. However, I'm fine with black walls for outdoor shots, as long as there are trees and shrubbery there, and considering how Silent Hill took you to different locations in the city, I would be fine if that format is repeated for Trick 'r Treat honestly.

Honestly, a couple of forest/wooden wall scenes as transitions is nothing to complain about. At least it shows a minimum of effort.

Then again, at ScareLA, Murdy mentioned that "labels" will be the transition. I wonder if it's gonna be a comic book type thing, or just Black Walls TM in disguise?

Then again, at ScareLA, Murdy mentioned that "labels" will be the transition. I wonder if it's gonna be a comic book type thing, or just Black Walls TM in disguise?

When I heard him mention that, my mind immediately thought of the transitions in American Horror Story (2016 house). I'm hoping the "transition labels" will be somewhat festive.

When I heard him mention that, my mind immediately thought of the transitions in American Horror Story (2016 house). I'm hoping the "transition labels" will be somewhat festive.

The "Green and Burnt Umber walls" tweet made me happy. Something like the AHS transitions would be cool and appropriate for the property.

Regardless, the return of the lake from La Llorona has got me excited. When was the last time we saw that set? Alice Cooper 3D? And it's such a cool set, too!

Reactions: MacMillian Crew
I'm honestly just keeping my guard up a bit; given how last year's elevator scene turned out to be, despite how much he overhyped it, I don't wanna be let down. But I do think Trick 'r Treat will have more effort at least, and the scare zone can hopefully fill the holes to whatever isn't in the maze.

I'm honestly just keeping my guard up a bit; given how last year's elevator scene turned out to be, despite how much he overhyped it, I don't wanna be let down. But I do think Trick 'r Treat will have more effort at least, and the scare zone can hopefully fill the holes to whatever isn't in the maze.

I think of it like this: sure, last year was disappointing, but I don't think it's the most disappointing year (lol 2013, the other year with a disappointing Evil Dead maze). Also, there were mitigating circumstances like budget cuts and IP holder skullduggery that makes me more inclined to forgive the event. We forget that 2016, just two years ago, was probably one of the best years at the event ever. All that talent doesn't just go away in a year or two. I have faith. Maybe that's dumb, but eh.

Reactions: Guygas and DTH
Nah, I get where you're coming from. I'm just trying not to get too excited and understand that nothing will be 100% the way I think it will be. I'm excited for at least for the majority of the mazes, some rumored to come, and despite not being super thrilled about this year's opening scare zone, I'm hoping it'll be something "fresh" or interesting. And I could've sworn someone on here, who claimed to have inside knowledge, said Terror Tram wasn't entirely brand new?

Reactions: rageofthegods
Nah, I get where you're coming from. I'm just trying not to get too excited and understand that nothing will be 100% the way I think it will be. I'm excited for at least for the majority of the mazes, some rumored to come, and despite not being super thrilled about this year's opening scare zone, I'm hoping it'll be something "fresh" or interesting. And I could've sworn someone on here, who claimed to have inside knowledge, said Terror Tram wasn't entirely brand new?

That's very fair.

Side note: looking back, I wouldn't be surprised if Purge 2018 is a bit close to Walking Dead 2015, with sections underground and in the "burning building." I think that would actually be a pretty neat way of doing the maze; have a couple of wide open sets in the burning city+shops. Almost like a scare-zone, only with the actual buildings themselves destroyed, right in the center of the chaos.

Honestly, a couple of forest/wooden wall scenes as transitions is nothing to complain about. At least it shows a minimum of effort.

I can see the labels being the rules. Each section deals with a rulemand the labels are the rules.

Don't be silly... the transitions will be a dark room with an overhead light that beams into your eyes and blinding you until you find yourself in the next part of the maze. This is an exclusive, straight from DTH :deadhorse::grin:

Plus that way they could save them for a Creepshow maze in the future :thumbsup:

The parallels between the two are already fairly apparent, but I do always forget about Trick r Treat's blatant rip-off of the day-glo comic transitions until I'm actually sitting there watching the film.

Definitely a bucket list item since it's a weirdly-protected/finicky IP, but I'd love a 3D Creepshow maze at some point. You'd need to get creative with a few of the stories, but I think there's just enough material to fill a Mummy-size venue.