Dueling Dragons: Choose Thy Fate (HHN 32) | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Dueling Dragons: Choose Thy Fate (HHN 32)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I came out of this house like "Ok I should get more runs through the house." Because the group I went with were all saying "WOW, GREAT HOUSE, SO COOL." And I honestly thought I went through an entirely different house. Ive done 5 runs in this house trying to like it. Even brought a buddy who does set design for his school and he said "Yeah it was cool to look at but I wouldn't do it again." Don't get me wrong this house is beautiful and cool in every way, I had it high up on hype because of the art and story showing actual dragons. Kinda wish the scare actors would be a little more aggressive but im not knocking them.

I even missed the dragon heads in the finale room the first time I went through :worried:
Only to be more disappointed when I went through a second time and said "wow that's it?"

I've come to the conclusion of "It's still a cool house but for me in a year where all the houses are strong... besides Chucky... its lower on the list for me."

Again it's not a bad by any means, just not my cup of tea.
I would love a Poseidon's fury house too :lmao:

A question, what were people expecting in here? Dragon puppets for the whole house? I wasn’t expecting this and I’m pleasantly surprised by this house.

The transformation progression is cool and really well-presented, certainly better than I had expected. I think all it's missing was an actual dragon scare, which could've been accomplished with a head from each executed similarly to the devil face at the end of Case Files.

The transformation progression is cool and really well-presented, certainly better than I had expected. I think all it's missing was an actual dragon scare, which could've been accomplished with a head from each executed similarly to the devil face at the end of Case Files.

While in ways I can agree with that, for me that Jersey Devil scare isn't big enough for the dragons. For me the dragon heads would have to be a giant puppet a la' the giant "totally-not-a-critter-but-is" from Slaughter Sinema, or the sandworm from Beetlejuice. And if a house features a giant puppet like that, there's usually only one.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
While in ways I can agree with that, for me that Jersey Devil scare isn't big enough for the dragons. For me the dragon heads would have to be a giant puppet a la' the giant "totally-not-a-critter-but-is" from Slaughter Sinema, or the sandworm from Beetlejuice. And if a house features a giant puppet like that, there's usually only one.
Whenever anyone mentions the Sandworm, I just crack up at the fact it was basically a whacky waving inflatable tongue-flailing tube worm.

A question, what were people expecting in here? Dragon puppets for the whole house? I wasn’t expecting this and I’m pleasantly surprised by this house.
Showing the dragons flying on a screen. The way they did for potter. In the airport. Very simple.
Having the dragons eyes show up glowing somewhere.looking at you, a really big eye on the roof glowing. Doesn't even have to move but shine a yellow light to it.
Having a big claw reaching inside the castle. A big puppet claw. Really big. Have claws on each of the walls. Blue claw and red.
Hearing the dragon growl and have his breath shoot at you. ( water and smoke). Hear him roar.
( have some kind of way for the dragon breathing at you. )
Have a flapping wing come through a door. Have it flapping a lot. Made of rubber or something ( like in jeepers creepers 2)
There's so many ways. Wouldn't even have to be that expensive. And that's just at the top of my head...... universal has so many effects and props at their disposal.....
Whenever anyone mentions the Sandworm, I just crack up at the fact it was basically a whacky waving inflatable tongue-flailing tube worm.

An inflatable tail flapping would be an easy and cheap scare. For the dragons. Have the tail flapping above you.

I feel like this is kinda just getting tedious and repetitive? I haven't done the house but it's clear they might have done all they could do with the budget.

Reactions: Grabnar
Sandworm, Mind Flayer, etc all pale in the face of Klownzilla, which is the best big creature scare I've seen since I've been going consistently. Screen accurate design, always out and lit up in front of guests, constantly and fluidly moving, fills out the space in the room.

I feel like this is kinda just getting tedious and repetitive? I haven't done the house but it's clear they might have done all they could do with the budget.
They had a budget and a house concept, and they devoted more to some ideas within that concept and less to others. Some people wanted and expected the concepts that A&D deprioritized, and so it's naturally going to be pretty polarizing. It is what it is.

A coherent story (IMO not delivered - the setup in the queue/first curtain hallway was muddled and unclear)

If you’re going to base a house on a looping coaster where you ride one of two soaring flying dragons that swoop and interact the house should include that kinetic energy and some flying dragons, not wizards fighting over whatever that was.

Genuine question -

Take away the attachment and history to the original ride and this was a completely, new concept...

Does that change your perception of the house?

Because I think it does. o_O

interact the house should include that kinetic energy and some flying dragons,

I mean... that's expecting a lot for a short-term haunted house... :lol:

Last edited:
Genuine question -

Take away the attachment and history to the original ride and this was a completely, new concept...

Another thing I was thinking about
If this house was a ride, like Jurassic Park. Then you only see the T Rex once at the end. I have thought about it yes.
If this was a brand new ride, the dragons at the end would be your T Rex big moment at the very end. Like the Kong animatronic or the dragon in the bank at the end of the potter ride ( the one on the screen)

I can see how they designed it that way. Like a ride. I can see where they were going with it. I can see the reasoning.

Having the dragons eyes show up glowing somewhere.looking at you, a really big eye on the roof glowing. Doesn't even have to move but shine a yellow light to it.
For some reason one of the things that gives me a guttural fear is creepy evil eyes watching me. If this house had a scare where you turned a corner and there was a great big glowing yellow eye staring at me I would lose it. Use that as the distraction element and have another claw or something come from the other side and thats a great scare.

• Love
Reactions: Lucky Planet
Genuine question -

I think we're saying the same thing. If it were presented as a generic "merlin and some other magic dude are fighting and their wizard armies are also there" I would have liked the house that I saw.

There are too many maybe unfair expectations when you name the house and theme the house and present easter eggs in the house from a specific ride.

Last edited: