Disney's California Adventure Overhaul | Page 38 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's California Adventure Overhaul

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The line for RSR is reportedly stretching all the way to Paradise Pier. Estimated wait time is between 4-5 hours. All fastpasses were gone by 10 AM.

holy cow...why even go when it's that crowded. That reminds me when I had FREE tickets to go to IoA the weekend Potter opened and I went online and saw the lines and said forget it, ended up going in November that year and waited 25 mins to ride...

holy cow...why even go when it's that crowded. That reminds me when I had FREE tickets to go to IoA the weekend Potter opened and I went online and saw the lines and said forget it, ended up going in November that year and waited 25 mins to ride...

To say you were there for Opening Day.

If some of you missed the world of color Glow with the Show video. Here it is... It is a very impressive use, execution and monetization of technology. Hats are $25.

[video=youtube_share;aVxV90NUzoU]http://youtu.be/aVxV90NUzoU[/video]

Mercy, look what Teebin found. I promise I wasn't even looking for it... just searching high detail CNC machines.

Lower half of the van animatronic:
10ftX20ft-5axis-CNC-Disney.jpg

Lower half of the yellow italian animatronic:
5-axis-CNC-mill-02.jpg

Here is the company's gallery of work:
http://www.danielsdse.com/vfx-gallery.php

Teebin awesome find, pretty amazing how it was done. As far as the DCA crowds from the sound of it, its HELL!

Oops... quoting again, but only because it does a great job at answering some questions that have been poised. The question posted on another website asked why Uni is able to create great attractions far cheaper than Disney. This response is from the user WhyLightBulb:

"The answer to this question is complicated. Basically, Universal spends about 20 to 25 percent of an attraction's development budget on soft costs (design, admin, management etc.). Disney can go up to 30 to 40 percent in some cases. The reasons, in part, for Disney's higher soft costs are R&D as well as layers of wasted management labor costs. Universal will rely heavily on "free" work from its vendors to bid on a much less developed concept design package. The vendors will have to develop these bid packages to the point that Disney would have released its bid packages (whether these bid packages are going in-house or out to a sub makes no difference). For the Universal vendors to get these design documents up to the point of putting in a decent bid they will need to dedicate some resources to flesh out the basic concepts communicated from Creative Studios in minimal drawings and beat lists etc. So what ends up happening is UC gets a lot of free design work because these vendors want the job and will develop the basic concepts to a level that they can estimate budget and schedule requirements. Disney will have already gotten that far before submitting its bid packages.

As far as red tape and bureaucracy Disney wins big time on that one. Universal has its fair share but WDI's bloated management structure and recent history of hiring lower grade talent, just because they may hold more college degrees for example (I am positive that, were he alive today, if Walt Disney himself were to apply at WDI he would be turned down), makes Disney extremely inefficient.

The fact that WDI allocates a much higher percentage of project resources to R&D also adds to their higher costs.

There are more reasons but that will give you a start in understanding the differences."

I cant believe that they dont serve burgers or chicken fingers. Its a diner, it should have at least a burger.

Good for them. So much of Disney food is now the same at all locations. I applaud them for serving new, interesting, and reportedly good food! :happy:

Im loving this park more and more. The performance from Goofy is hilarious.

From Inside the Magic-
"Amidst the exciting grand openings of Cars Land and Buena Vista street, Disney California Adventure also debuted a new daytime show today called “Instant Concert! …Just Add Water.” The show features Maestro Goofy, strolling out to Paradise Pier in a conductor’s outfit, ready to wave his baton to control the symphony of fountains across the lagoon normally used during the nighttime World of Color show."

IMG_7294.jpg

[video=youtube;Wx9L3CjvGKQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx9L3CjvGKQ[/video]

"“Instant Concert! …Just Add Water” takes cues from Goofy short films, with a throaty narrator introducing the playful character before he begins wildly and haphazardly twirling his baton wreaking havoc across the fountains."

Last edited:
Here's a different show. This is the classic Disney that this park needed.

[video=youtube;prxd9jN636g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prxd9jN636g[/video]

Last edited:
^ Yeah, and it's only going to be like Test Track but maybe better or the same.

Am I the only one who thinks it looks incredibly boring? I mean I know the movie took place in a desert landscape and I know that once there are details and people there it will seem more kinetic but geesh. It just looks like "waiting for next building, waiting"

Cars just doesn't have the legs that something like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, or Jurassic Park do. And we have a 600 million dollar land based on it.

Looking threw the previous comments made (some all the way back to August 19, 2011) and laugh at how so many people on here talked rubbish about this project being doomed and how it was going to fail. I know it's still too early but there is no doubt in my mind that this park will thrive for many years to come. The reviews have been positive and the waits have been up to 6 hours long. Some people on here just like to see Disney fail. Guess their just drinking that hater-aid. Lol

Last edited:
^Was that really necessary, dude? Seriously, look who's talking.

Anyway, I said it before, and I'll say it again. I really need to scrounge up some cash to get over to Anaheim. I've never been to DL or DCA, but this sure would be a good time to. Carsland looks beautiful.

And for the record, I still think Cars is a mistake to base a whole land off.

It's not a mistake considering how much boys love it and how much of a cash cow it's been. For the rest of us who are meh for the franchise, although I really enjoyed the first film, its characters, and some of the shorts, looking at it now and how expertly executed it is, this is no mistake.

I'm sure there will also be people who have never even seen Cars who might just have a new all-time favorite theme park attraction.