Disney Springs Discussion | Page 72 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney Springs Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Also from an artistic standpoint...

You have things that can move. Why use them to generally make static images?

They're the most impressive when they're moving. "Light certain ones up like they're a flying static LED grid" is a waste of the tech.

Also from an artistic standpoint...

You have things that can move. Why use them to generally make static images?

They're the most impressive when they're moving. "Light certain ones up like they're a flying static LED grid" is a waste of the tech.
If they did this in a theme park I would be disappointed. As a test-show for the technology at a shopping mall, I can't really complain too much. I think people were expecting too much.

If they did this in a theme park I would be disappointed. As a test-show for the technology at a shopping mall, I can't really complain too much. I think people were expecting too much.

I was expecting them to actually be in position as intended most of the time.... which apparently was asking for way too much.

I saw this show in person for the first time last night. It was extremely packed with it being black friday. I enjoyed it for what it was and it definitely showed potential for future use. I'd love to see this on a grander scale.

Pro tip: If you want to be center with the show, head down to the waterfront by Bongos or near the Food Truck area. Other areas we found are off center/obstructed (I saw the show twice).

Nobody posted here about Black Friday I see. I was there for a couple hours, so I'll give a couple quick thoughts. Probably the same stuff that was on Twitter.

* Wasn't very busy
* LEGO was packed and all of their Black Friday merch was sold out before the afternoon. I'm assuming it was keychains and the like?
* The Disney stores had pretty mediocre sales and it didn't seem to be going quickly.
* Town Center had a lot of foot traffic, but I saw very few people in the stores.
* The new D-Living store is like a glorified Pottery Barn.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I saw the show a few days ago. It's short.. glad we happened to catch it as it was starting and didn't wait for it or make a trip specifically for it. Also, some of the imagery was hard to make out. But overall, it was a really nice sight to see and fun to see that kind of technology at work.

So when I met with my friend at DS today we at at Blaze and it was good. I was pleasantly surprised.

A couple of observations:
  • Christmas decorations in DS are really nice
  • The "Tree Trail" was the crappiest waste of time I have ever seen from Disney. It looked like a school decorating contest. Lots of stuff that was obviously sharpies drawing on ornaments. Routing it through the former bus loop was the icing on the cake. Not Disney quality. Not even Six Flags quality...
  • D-Living was a waste of time. It was obviously just a vacant space they filled quickly with the same stuff they have in every other Disney owned and operated store just displayed on Pottery Barn/Restoration Hardware knockoff fixturing.
  • After visiting 2 restrooms (both in the "new" sections) I once again marvel at Disney stupidity. Both restrooms used completely different paper towels and toilet paper rolls. You'd think they would standardize those things since that's part of the "economy of scale" when you run an operation that big. Just makes no sense some of the dumb things they do...

Reactions: GadgetGuru
The tree trail was made by the casual temporary decorators hired for the season at Holiday Services.

The department has full time staff and then hires like 30 extra people for the season to finish work and install. Some are actual designers/decorators, some are warehouse people, and some are pretty much basic labor.

It explains the whole tree trail.

So when I met with my friend at DS today we at at Blaze and it was good. I was pleasantly surprised.

A couple of observations:
  • Christmas decorations in DS are really nice
  • The "Tree Trail" was the crappiest waste of time I have ever seen from Disney. It looked like a school decorating contest. Lots of stuff that was obviously sharpies drawing on ornaments. Routing it through the former bus loop was the icing on the cake. Not Disney quality. Not even Six Flags quality...
  • D-Living was a waste of time. It was obviously just a vacant space they filled quickly with the same stuff they have in every other Disney owned and operated store just displayed on Pottery Barn/Restoration Hardware knockoff fixturing.
  • After visiting 2 restrooms (both in the "new" sections) I once again marvel at Disney stupidity. Both restrooms used completely different paper towels and toilet paper rolls. You'd think they would standardize those things since that's part of the "economy of scale" when you run an operation that big. Just makes no sense some of the dumb things they do...
As a former Custodial CM at Disney, the paper towel/toilet paper thing isn't that odd to me. It's not that they aren't ordering shipments in bulk, it's that sometimes they change who they buy from, so you have two separate brands/shipments sitting in a stockroom. In the rush of the day with the Custodial staff trying to get things done, they aren't looking at which one is new or old, they are grabbing and going (because it doesn't matter).

Sometimes it's just as simple as they are in the middle of a brand change and you just happened to catch it. Disney certainly doesn't like wasting money on this stuff.

Every single space at DS full tonight. I guess that is common. they are turning money away. At least I could see the drones from the garage. pretty cool.

Edit. words.

Last edited:
Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Disney will find a way to charge soon enough. :lol:

Also, got to try Art Smith's Homecoming restaurant and it was delicious. Absolutely loved the charcuterie plate with the pimento cheese. That's a must try. Also really enjoyed the shrimp & grits, although it was a pretty small portion (but it always is). My friends were kind enough to throw me a bone... of fried chicken so I can try it and that was great too!

Saw the pics of the trees at DS. What a shame, with all the resources and actual ornaments in the store right next to them and that is the "best" they could muster? At least put some coordinating lights or something on them. What would it have taken for them to at least keep them out the elements with a tent or something?