Discovery and WarnerMedia Merger | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Discovery and WarnerMedia Merger

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I wonder if this might actually be an adaptation of Man Of Tomorrow, considering talk coming about that Momoa's going to tackle Lobo in the future.

Last edited:
I wonder if this might actually be an adaptation of Man From Tomorrow, considering talk coming about that Momoa's going to tackle Lobo in the future.
Man of Tomorrow you mean? It would make sense considering they are focusing on a younger Superman.

Ok this will absolutely not happen, there are no rumors, or even whispers of this - I just think it’s an interesting thought experiment.

But, can you imagine a world where Discovery sells off DC studios? There would be a bidding war, and the sale would most likely fly through anti-monopoly regulation -unlike WB in its totality.

I literally just want Universal Parks to have Batman (although I don’t think I want Universal Pictures to be in charge of the films.)

Ok this will absolutely not happen, there are no rumors, or even whispers of this - I just think it’s an interesting thought experiment.

But, can you imagine a world where Discovery sells off DC studios? There would be a bidding war, and the sale would most likely fly through anti-monopoly regulation -unlike WB in its totality.

I literally just want Universal Parks to have Batman (although I don’t think I want Universal Pictures to be in charge of the films.)
Comcast wouldn’t get it though because Google, Apple, or Amazon almost definitely would if something that valuable was being tossed around.

Reactions: Nico

Don't see a DC sale happening but I think the chances of WBD selling off a major division (New Line, Looney Tunes/Hanna Barbera, CNN, HBO???) is a fair bit higher than zero.

Comcast wouldn’t get it though because Google, Apple, or Amazon almost definitely would if something that valuable was being tossed around.

Nick is that based on their finances vs Comcast’s? Like cash flow vs debt?

Nick is that based on their finances vs Comcast’s? Like cash flow vs debt?
Both.

Comcast has a lot of debt whereas someone like an Amazon or Apple could swoop in and buy it for what would seem like pennies to them.

Don't see a DC sale happening but I think the chances of WBD selling off a major division (New Line, Looney Tunes/Hanna Barbera, CNN, HBO???) is a fair bit higher than zero.
I want Universal to get the Looney Tunes and give them to Illumination. I want that so bad.

Give DreamWorks Studios the Hanna Barbera properties.

If Disney won’t leverage Muppets the right way, let Universal’s subsidiaries leverage similar IPs the right way.

I want Universal to get the Looney Tunes and give them to Illumination. I want that so bad.

Give DreamWorks Studios the Hanna Barbera properties.

If Disney won’t leverage Muppets the right way, let Universal’s subsidiaries leverage similar IPs the right way.
There was a period where they tried and succeeded to a degree. The 2011 Muppets film with Jason Segal was peak Muppets. Then the 2014 sequel sort of just happened and was a dud since they lost Segal as a writer. They tried again in 2015 with a Muppets show in the style of The Office that started off bad (which was when it drew the most eyeballs), and ended up glorious. Of course, because they lost most of their audience very early on in the season, the show got cancelled.

Ever since then, they haven't done much with them of note unfortunately. They did have a really bad Disney+ skit show (and they have another D+ show on the way), but they are an extremely underutilized IP that is a very valuable one if they brought someone on who is a big Muppets fan and knows how to use them in the right way, much like Jason Segal who was the big Muppets fan in the writers room in 2011 with The Muppets.

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Nico
Asset sales have begun

And the stock price has begun to rise as well. Slimming down the company is not only what Zaslav wants, but what will bring that stock up and make the company profitable, whilst getting rid of debt on parts of the company that are deemed unnecessary.

And the stock price has begun to rise as well. Slimming down the company is not only what Zaslav wants, but what will bring that stock up and make the company profitable, whilst getting rid of debt on parts of the company that are deemed unnecessary.
Many industry insiders are speculating WBD is culling assets to make the company more lean for a merger. 50 billion is still a lot of debt. These same insiders are speculating NBCUniversal wants to buy WBD .The primary reason being to bulk up Peacock for the streaming wars. Lets not forget how this will benefit the Universal parks as well. One company insider said "Obviously Peacock sucks" and he is right. It does not have the type of shows that would pull people in to subscribe to it.

Many industry insiders are speculating WBD is culling assets to make the company more lean for a merger. 50 billion is still a lot of debt. These same insiders are speculating NBCUniversal wants to buy WBD .The primary reason being to bulk up Peacock for the streaming wars. Lets not forget how this will benefit the Universal parks as well. One company insider said "Obviously Peacock sucks" and he is right. It does not have the type of shows that would pull people in to subscribe to it.
They are right, but at the same time, Comcast has played it the safest in the streaming game by mostly relying on library content and investing in cheap content for original programming so the service isn't costing them a ton, plus they make a bunch in ad-revenue. Comcast has the easiest out if they decide they don't want to be a part of this dumbass streaming war anymore.

It's a terrible thing to invest in from a business perspective as the company's lose money quarter after quarter and the only winner is the consumer (and working actors) who is getting a ton of content made, but the issue is even on the consumer side, prices are starting to get ridiculous. It won't be. long before they're all at $20/month+ and we're paying more than we would've for cable if you want access to it all.

The other downside from a business perspective is unlike cable, these services aren't all packaged together, so customers have the choice to go month to month hopping from service to service, meaning high churn rates, and Netflix and HBO Max will always win in terms of lowest churn.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mad Dog and Nico
I can't even imagine being tasked with mapping out an entire cinematic universe for the next decade.

I do absolutely love that they're honing in on introducing much lesser known characters. Gunn has absolutely shined pouring his heart into different, unique characters so I'm super excited for the unknown properties on that docket. I've never been much of a fan of the DC's God like characters so putting out different things will peak my interest. Booster Gold sounds like something I'm gonna be stoked for.