Confirmation of Gyrosphere ride? | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Confirmation of Gyrosphere ride?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Never going to happen.  I am afraid Jurassic World is going to be the worst of the top 3 franchise films for Universal this year, beaten by Furious 7 and Minions.
Opening weekend grosses have pretty much destroyed this supposition. JW looks like it's going to be Universal's biggest film and probably #2 for the year. #1 depending on international interest in Star Wars. Still not going to result in a gyrosphere ride, though.

Beating a dead raptor but I finally saw Jurassic World. What an epic piece of crap!!!!! Screenwriters hit a perfect trifecta: they got humans, animals AND theme parks wrong!

Most egregious is this gyrosphere nonsense. Yes, we all knew going in that an orb that could be controlled by its occupants was ridiculous, but it's even worse when you see the entire sequence.

1) How does this thing even move???  It's a glass ball (it sounded like glass when that stupid dinosaur who shall never be named tried to eat it) and glass has about the least traction of anything else on earth! Not to mention that when they get into the stupid thing THERE IS A HILL RIGHT BEHIND THEM!!  Now what happens to a big marble when it's on any surface that isn't perfectly flat?? Apparently the scientists of Jurassic World have also created a new species of gravity!

2) After the first ride of the day the glass would have grass and mud and poop and new scratches over all the old scratches. Really great for visibility! I know! They're coated in Teflon, which will make them have even LESS traction!

3) How would they keep people from ramming these things into trees, or other gyrospheres, or into the poor dinosaurs? Clearly they don't care about their visitors, as four movies have now proven, but the dinosaurs are their cash cows so certainly they'd create something safer for them, right??

4) Why on earth is there NO program that forces the gyrospheres to return to the loading station??? You know, for emergencies like this? Or, I don't know, to maybe force people back to the station so people aren't standing in the queue for hours on end waiting for SOMEBODY to return!

I pray Universal doesn't create a reminder of the dumbest part of this dumb movie. Give us a "monorail" ride like the Hogwarts train, only make the scenes dinosaur attacks. Or just go back to the discard pile and give us an amber mine or aviary or go way back and give us the jeep ride! PLEASE!

Beating a dead raptor but I finally saw Jurassic World. What an epic piece of crap!!!!! Screenwriters hit a perfect trifecta: they got humans, animals AND theme parks wrong!

Most egregious is this gyrosphere nonsense. Yes, we all knew going in that an orb that could be controlled by its occupants was ridiculous, but it's even worse when you see the entire sequence.

1) How does this thing even move???  It's a glass ball (it sounded like glass when that stupid dinosaur who shall never be named tried to eat it) and glass has about the least traction of anything else on earth! Not to mention that when they get into the stupid thing THERE IS A HILL RIGHT BEHIND THEM!!  Now what happens to a big marble when it's on any surface that isn't perfectly flat?? Apparently the scientists of Jurassic World have also created a new species of gravity!

2) After the first ride of the day the glass would have grass and mud and poop and new scratches over all the old scratches. Really great for visibility! I know! They're coated in Teflon, which will make them have even LESS traction!

3) How would they keep people from ramming these things into trees, or other gyrospheres, or into the poor dinosaurs? Clearly they don't care about their visitors, as four movies have now proven, but the dinosaurs are their cash cows so certainly they'd create something safer for them, right??

4) Why on earth is there NO program that forces the gyrospheres to return to the loading station??? You know, for emergencies like this? Or, I don't know, to maybe force people back to the station so people aren't standing in the queue for hours on end waiting for SOMEBODY to return!

I pray Universal doesn't create a reminder of the dumbest part of this dumb movie. Give us a "monorail" ride like the Hogwarts train, only make the scenes dinosaur attacks. Or just go back to the discard pile and give us an amber mine or aviary or go way back and give us the jeep ride! PLEASE!
500px-Whoa-Just-Take-It-Easy-Man-Drake-Parker.jpg

1) How does this thing even move??? It's a glass ball (it sounded like glass when that stupid dinosaur who shall never be named tried to eat it) and glass has about the least traction of anything else on earth! Not to mention that when they get into the stupid thing THERE IS A HILL RIGHT BEHIND THEM!! Now what happens to a big marble when it's on any surface that isn't perfectly flat?? Apparently the scientists of Jurassic World have also created a new species of gravity!

You must be a bucket of fun fun fun at a party, aren't ya?

You DO realize it's a fantasy movie about a futuristic THEME PARK with genetically modified frikin dinosaurs, Star Wars-like holograms, and someone out running a T-Rex in heels, right?

so a park with dinosaurs in it wasn't the puzzling question here...it was the the technology surrounding the gyrospheres ..... <_<

Geez calm down dude. Maybe someone didn't tell you, but this was just a movie. Not a documentary. Suspension of disbelief is required.

How about everybody else back off and calm down a little? I happen to agree with Kevy that it makes no sense. He wasn't rude to anyone and simply stated his opinion rather passionately. It wasn't a direct attack at anyone so I'm confused about the knee jerk defensiveness.

I don't think anyone is being rude, it's more humorous than anything, just a difference of opinion, so of course it's his personal opinion and he's entitled to it, but I think it's rather silly to pinpoint out and be so extremely critical about how unrealistic one detail is in a movie that's almost entirely fantasy and is filled with many improbable and silly/far fetched scenes and yet to be invented/real technology.

It's a high tech fantasy-based theme park. It's OK if it's not 100% grounded in reality, that's what makes it fun.

And any issues regarding it also add to the plot of the story. For example, if it had an auto-return to station feature, there wouldn't be a conflict in the storyline with the kids.

I don't think anyone is being rude, it's more humorous than anything, just a difference of opinion, so of course it's his personal opinion and he's entitled to it, but I think it's rather silly to pinpoint out and be so extremely critical about how unrealistic one detail is in a movie that's almost entirely fantasy and is filled with many improbable and silly/far fetched scenes and yet to be invented/real technology.

It's a high tech fantasy-based theme park. It's OK if it's not 100% grounded in reality, that's what makes it fun.

And any issues regarding it also add to the plot of the story. For example, if it had an auto-return to station feature, there wouldn't be a conflict in the storyline with the kids.
I'm one of those people who nitpicks like that in certain things. JP is one of them. I totally get where you're coming from tho, I can understand why others are citing willing suspension of disbelief. Sometimes I'm the same way, mostly with people who pick at comic book type things.I guess for me it's just that the series normally tries for as much realism as possible in a series about dinosaurs being brought back, so the gyros seem like a departure from that realism attempt in a way.

Last edited by a moderator:
You must be a bucket of fun fun fun at a party, aren't ya?

You DO realize it's a fantasy movie about a futuristic THEME PARK with genetically modified frikin dinosaurs, Star Wars-like holograms, and someone out running a T-Rex in heels, right?
Yes, so it certainly must NOT have anything resembling intelligence or realistic behavior in it!

You DO realize that The Dark Knight was about a man who dressed up in a bat costume chasing a dude who painted his face to look like a scary clown, right? So why wasn't that movie poorly written too?

I always find this "Suspension of Disbelief" argument to be hilarious. "Suspension of Disbelief" does NOT mean, "Go to the Movies and Be Stupid!" Samuel Taylor Coleridge created the phrase in 1817: "...so as to transfer from our inward nature a human interest and a semblance of truth sufficient to procure for these shadows of imagination that willing suspension of disbelief for the moment." He said this in reference to fantastic elements that started occurring in poetry. He didn't say, "Everyone needs to just shut up and accept that which makes no sense." He said the burden is on the writer to set the proper scene so the fantastic portions will be believed. That premise has been lying around for a century before movies started being made, and it's still one of the major tenets of Screenwriting 101. Sorry, of GOOD Screenwriting 101. 

THAT is why so many people complained about the CGI when the trailers were rolled out. If the CGI doesn't seem realistic, the movie won't seem realistic. If the characters aren't people we recognize, the movie won't seem realistic. If an animal keeps slamming headfirst into concrete and glass - a trait no allegedly smart animal would ever have unless it had a desire to go blind or get brain damage - that movie won't seem realistic! Are you really telling me that movies nowadays are just things for people to look at and not to get involved in? That intelligence should be thrown out the window for some plot twist that doesn't even work? That moviegoers shouldn't care about the characters? Or plot? Or logic? If you believe any of that, you're not a true movie-lover; you're a movie-watcher. "Me like dinosaurs! Me give four stars!"

If you liked this, then be happy about it. There's no need to be defensive like you're the screenwriters' mama. I'm sorry I don't have the ability to become a moron when I'm watching a movie. I want movies to treat me like the smart person I actually am, not the moron they want me to be.

so a park with dinosaurs in it wasn't the puzzling question here...it was the the technology surrounding the gyrospheres ..... <_<
This was a Gyrosphere post, so I focused on the Gyrospheres. It's called "staying on topic". If someone wants to start a "Everything That's Wrong with Jurassic World" post, I will happily write a novel there. Though, for the record, the cloning of the dinosaurs, while laughably impossible, was at least suitably explained so it's a premise that can actually be accepted, at least for the length of a movie. Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard halting the search for her nephews WHO ARE BEING CHASED BY A MURDEROUS MONSTER so Chris Pratt can pet a dying dinosaur on the other hand... somebody PLEASE explain that idiocy!

How about everybody else back off and calm down a little? I happen to agree with Kevy that it makes no sense. He wasn't rude to anyone and simply stated his opinion rather passionately. It wasn't a direct attack at anyone so I'm confused about the knee jerk defensiveness.
What's a nice girl like you doing in a forum like this?   ;)

Yes, so it certainly must NOT have anything resembling intelligence or realistic behavior in it!

You DO realize that The Dark Knight was about a man who dressed up in a bat costume chasing a dude who painted his face to look like a scary clown, right? So why wasn't that movie poorly written too?

I always find this "Suspension of Disbelief" argument to be hilarious. "Suspension of Disbelief" does NOT mean, "Go to the Movies and Be Stupid!" Samuel Taylor Coleridge created the phrase in 1817: "...so as to transfer from our inward nature a human interest and a semblance of truth sufficient to procure for these shadows of imagination that willing suspension of disbelief for the moment." He said this in reference to fantastic elements that started occurring in poetry. He didn't say, "Everyone needs to just shut up and accept that which makes no sense." He said the burden is on the writer to set the proper scene so the fantastic portions will be believed. That premise has been lying around for a century before movies started being made, and it's still one of the major tenets of Screenwriting 101. Sorry, of GOOD Screenwriting 101.

THAT is why so many people complained about the CGI when the trailers were rolled out. If the CGI doesn't seem realistic, the movie won't seem realistic. If the characters aren't people we recognize, the movie won't seem realistic. If an animal keeps slamming headfirst into concrete and glass - a trait no allegedly smart animal would ever have unless it had a desire to go blind or get brain damage - that movie won't seem realistic! Are you really telling me that movies nowadays are just things for people to look at and not to get involved in? That intelligence should be thrown out the window for some plot twist that doesn't even work? That moviegoers shouldn't care about the characters? Or plot? Or logic? If you believe any of that, you're not a true movie-lover; you're a movie-watcher. "Me like dinosaurs! Me give four stars!"

If you liked this, then be happy about it. There's no need to be defensive like you're the screenwriters' mama. I'm sorry I don't have the ability to become a moron when I'm watching a movie. I want movies to treat me like the smart person I actually am, not the moron they want me to be.

This was a Gyrosphere post, so I focused on the Gyrospheres. It's called "staying on topic". If someone wants to start a "Everything That's Wrong with Jurassic World" post, I will happily write a novel there. Though, for the record, the cloning of the dinosaurs, while laughably impossible, was at least suitably explained so it's a premise that can actually be accepted, at least for the length of a movie. Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard halting the search for her nephews WHO ARE BEING CHASED BY A MURDEROUS MONSTER so Chris Pratt can pet a dying dinosaur on the other hand... somebody PLEASE explain that idiocy!

What's a nice girl like you doing in a forum like this? ;)
Whatever makes you happy bud

Last edited by a moderator:

I always find this "Suspension of Disbelief" argument to be hilarious. "Suspension of Disbelief" does NOT mean, "Go to the Movies and Be Stupid!" Samuel Taylor Coleridge created the phrase in 1817: "...so as to transfer from our inward nature a human interest and a semblance of truth sufficient to procure for these shadows of imagination that willing suspension of disbelief for the moment." He said this in reference to fantastic elements that started occurring in poetry. He didn't say, "Everyone needs to just shut up and accept that which makes no sense." He said the burden is on the writer to set the proper scene so the fantastic portions will be believed. That premise has been lying around for a century before movies started being made, and it's still one of the major tenets of Screenwriting 101. Sorry, of GOOD Screenwriting 101.

e5fd32fa0a51cafbc7e16bd055fb411ee156b1264e0c88832a8fada8bfefa9bb.jpg

Whateeeeeever ya say bud! Drinks on me! :D

But not too many drinks....I might start acting like Blue. :p

Reactions: Al2020
What's a nice girl like you doing in a forum like this?   ;)
If you have a problem with a "forum like this", feel free to contact me or another moderator privately. You initially presented a strong opinion, so it's only fair that you expect strong responses. I can completely understand your passion behind the topic. In fact, you had a few solid points there - a few I had thought of as well. On the flip side, keep in mind that others are going to view the film in a very different light. There's no need for condescension.