Confirmation of Gyrosphere ride? | Inside Universal Forums

Confirmation of Gyrosphere ride?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Oct 28, 2014
http://www.slashfilm.com/jurassic-world-set-visit/

"Producer Frank Marshall told us that Universal Studios theme park is developing stuff that should be current with the movie when it’s finally released. The theme park was really curious about what they were doing; Marshall thinks they might be making a ride version of the gyrosphere for one of the theme parks as the theme park guys were very excited when they saw them on set.

"

Funny thing, Orlando is rumored to get a new Raptor M&G themed to JW in the old Trikes...makes me think universal has more plans than just the Raptor M&G.

We'll see what happens but I think something big with JW will come when the Lower Lot gets redone. Otherwise, we'll see but for now, Do NOT expect anything JW related besides Merch and posters on the Starway with a brief mention on the tram.

If the only possible potential of a Jurassic World expansion over here is more 3D simulators, count me OUT. I'd rather they use that space JW could potentially expand for something like Kong. Yeah, I realize it's another simulator, but at least there's going to be practical effects involved. We only have so much space over here and they need to maximize its potential.

I personally would like a Gringotts style coaster to replace Mummy next to JP if they were to do this.

Never going to happen.  I am afraid Jurassic World is going to be the worst of the top 3 franchise films for Universal this year, beaten by Furious 7 and Minions.

Never going to happen.  I am afraid Jurassic World is going to be the worst of the top 3 franchise films for Universal this year, beaten by Furious 7 and Minions.
Is there a reason you say this?

Also, I agree shouldnt have said it was fact, its more rumor

The whole idea of gyrospheres is extremely problematic for many reasons. First and foremost, they are enclosed in the movie, something that just won't get done in a theme park. The only solution I can see to this problem is that maybe they can have it start to close and "then something goes wrong" and then it stays open throughout the ride, meaning dinosaurs can easily get out you. That could be fun but it completely goes against what happens in the movie, and Universal tries to be pretty faithful to the source material nowadays. 

Even if that's the way they go, there's still the problem of capacity. These things hold two people! That means the only way to get any kind of throughput here would be to create an Omnimover type ride. That doesn't lead to a scary ride experience. They could make a bigger gyrosphere, but how much bigger could they go? Try to picture the Simpsons ride vehicle - 8 people - surrounded by a plastic sphere. That thing would be HUGE! We're talking probably 4 people, which only doubles the capacity. The more people in this thing means the sphere has to be that much larger and not only will that make it harder to climb into, it'll be extremely hard to make it look cool. The bigger you go, the less it's going to look like a sophisticated piece of hardware and the more it's just going to look like that big blow-up ball that people climb into and run around in.

Regardless, the biggest obstacle is that Universal has bigger fish to fry. There's obviously no room in USH for something like this, which means the only place for it is in Orlando. Which is currently building its Kong ride. And a hotel. And a water park. And then a Nintendo land. And maybe the Ministry of Magic. And probably Fast and Furious. And possibly a third gate. And if Nintendo Land is huge - which it will be - then they are going to fast-track Phase Two. Still, I give any Jurassic Park/World rumor a little credence simply because Nintendo, the Ministry of Magic and F&F will all go into USF, meaning IOA will need SOMETHING. If they can't find replacements for Toon Lagoon or Lost Continent, then Jurassic Park is really the only spot for a new attraction.  

As for it being the "worst" of Universal's franchise films this year. Maybe, but that doesn't mean much. Furious 7 will probably be the second biggest movie of the year - after Star Wars - now that the Avengers sequel appears unable to beat it. Avengers did "worse" than Furious 7 and it is still at the $1.2B mark. It's still projected to be one of the highest-grossing movies of the year, with its only competition being Minions, the two Pixar films, James Bond, Katniss Everdeen and Ant-Man, all of which could hit a billion but probably won't. Jurassic World would have to get horrible reviews AND negative word-of-mouth to not reach a billion. So even if Minions ends up beating it, that certainly doesn't mean it won't be seen as a success.

I saw Jurassic World yesterday, and the ride isn't on a track, it is moved by a joystick on the inside so the guest can choose where to go. So if they made a gyrosphere ride, it could be interactive. (Also watch out for Jimmy Fallon on the gyrosphere)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, we know the gyrosphere isn't on a track from the commercials. But a ride - if through some ridiculous miracle one ever happened - would have to be on a track or an invisible one because THEY ARE NOT GOING TO LET PEOPLE DRIVE AROUND IN GARGANTUAN POOL BALLS! 

"More problems today for Comcast as four more people had to be taken to the hospital after their ride vehicles SLAMMED into each other on the Jurassic World Claustrophobic Interactive Death Machines ride at Islands of Adventure. The accident happened moments after park opening and the ride was promptly shut down for the rest of the day. If you remember, the same exact thing happened yesterday right after park opening resulting in the ride being shut down all day. The same thing happened the day before that, when the ride had its grand opening, which was immediately hampered when six actors from the Jurassic World film took the initial ride and all crashed into each other. Like the ten people before them, the four injured today are in critical condition. It seems Universal has created a ride even scarier than the film it was based on! Back to you, Chet."

Hence my "invisible one" comment. Whether one can see a track or not, if a computer is guiding it, it's not "interactive".

When playing the Lego Jurassic World game I find it funny that they have a "guest information" speech on the loud speakers stating that "The Gyrsopheres are not meant to be used as bumper cars"

I know it might not be possible but what if the Gyroscope ride comes; its a Four-seater that houses the screens in the middle from the films. You could have a certain individual come back and do something for the outdoor portion and you then go "off-limits" Into a cave area. Then you go into this Transformers meets Mystic Manor dark ride using Animatronics and Screens combining it? It might not be possible due to costing but It could be a very unique experience.

Reactions: 12th Man
Obviously, cuz it's the real world. It can be interactive in different ways.
True, but the poster's EXACT comment was "it is moved by a joystick on the inside so the guest can choose where to go." I was referring to the type of "interactive" that was actually being referenced, not some random "interactive" that could, of course, be added to any ride in the world.