Are Shows Universal? | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Are Shows Universal?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I honestly couldn't say.

I did find this article by Jim Hill after a quick search on google though which was interesting:
Universal Orlando Went by the Book When Creating Live Shows for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter: Diagon Alley | Jim Hill
I've yet to visit Diagon Alley and I'm not a HP fan in the slightest but my wife is and at some point between now and visiting next year, I know I'll have to watch all the films and actually pay attention so I can appreciate it when I visit.
(I was referring to the main characters. The Diagon shows are excellent.) I was never a HP fan. Never read the books or watched the movies. But what Universal has done with Diagon & Hogsmeade is so tremendous that it has made me a fan. Nothing even close to this exists anywhere else. You will be amazed & entertained. Diagon is a crown jewel.

Reactions: Scott W.
(I was referring to the main characters. The Diagon shows are excellent.) I was never a HP fan. Never read the books or watched the movies. But what Universal has done with Diagon & Hogsmeade is so tremendous that it has made me a fan. Nothing even close to this exists anywhere else. You will be amazed & entertained. Diagon is a crown jewel.

A show wouldn't necessary need to have the main characters in it.

I'm really looking forward to it. I've managed to avoid all spoilers with Gringotts so far so it should be good.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I'm pretty sure if they wanted to make a new show they would have to negotiate a new contract anyway. Unless JK is just completely against it a pre-existing contract doesn't mean anything as far as the possibility of a new show.

A show wouldn't necessary need to have the main characters in it.

I'm really looking forward to it. I've managed to avoid all spoilers with Gringotts so far so it should be good.
The thing with Gringotts is that it gets better the more you ride it. So make sure you do it a good number of times. If lines are long do some single rider. They're usually pretty short.

Universal Orlando's entertainment is AWFUL compared to the other over seas Uni parks. Why don't our entertainment guys go learn from the folks who appear to know what they're doing? The USJ Xmas show uses DRONES! Pyro, Projection Mapping, live actors!

Last edited:
Universal Orlando's entertainment is AWFUL compared to the other over seas Uni parks. Why don't our entertainment guys go learn from the folks who appear to know what they're doing?
I have to agree with this on so many levels. Their parade is so much better than ours and they even have a nighttime parade that isn't half bad. Also, I they had this HHN icon (I think he was called the Dictator) that was one of the best I have ever seen.

Reactions: Cheezbat
Universal Orlando's entertainment is AWFUL compared to the other over seas Uni parks. Why don't our entertainment guys go learn from the folks who appear to know what they're doing?
USJ definitely has a great parade that puts most parades, especially Superstar, the sorry thing they pass off as a parade, to shame. CineSpec is nice, but could be so much more (better than Uni360, but then again that's a really low bar).

The main thing is, live entertainment/shows aren't in UOR's wheelhouse and it certainly doesn't appeal to their audience as much as a Disney-going audience. Not to mention land is very valuable in Orlando for attraction space and we end up with what we get.

Where Uni excels with Entertainment is when they are dealing with events. Mardi Gras, HHN and even Christmas (Sea World is still the best in Orlando when it comes to this imo) is very good. Daily entertainment however is a bit lackluster.

Last edited:
USJ definitely has a great parade that puts most parades, Superstar, the sorry thing they pass off as a parade. CineSpec is nice, but could be so much more (better than Uni360, but then again that's a really low bar).

The main thing is, live entertainment/shows aren't in UOR's wheelhouse and it certainly doesn't appeal to their audience as much as a Disney-going audience. Not to mention land is very valuable in Orlando for attraction space and we end up with what we get.

Where Uni excels with Entertainment is when they are dealing with events. Mardi Gras, HHN and even Christmas (Sea World is still the best in Orlando when it comes to this imo) is very good. Daily entertainment however is a bit lackluster.
Yes, good points. Just a comment to add to your list. Universal main stage shows, Sinbad & Fear Factor, are weak and poorly scripted. But their small street shows are for the most part, pretty decent (Blues Brothers, 3 Diagon Stage Shows).I haven't watched the new NY shows yet so I can't judge them. And they do have three pretty entertaining Meet & Greets (Raptor, Transformers, Shrek & Donkey) that I'll actually stop nearby & watch since they're fairly entertaining. And as you say, the parade is weak. And I actually liked the early version of CineSpec more than the laser dominated version they have now. They really cut the use of the non stage screen water screens down from what they have now. It's only four years old but showing it's age.

Reactions: SeventyOne
And I actually liked the early version of CineSpec more than the laser dominated version they have now. They really cut the use of the non stage screen water screens down from what they have now. It's only four years old but showing it's age.
I love a good use of lasers and... well I actually can't say this is a terribly good use of them. But that's just a side note to the fact that the show is simply mediocre (and somehow STILL celebrating Universal's 100th anniversary). A poor man's Illuminations if you will.

Notice all those shows I linked to in my above post are special events. HHN, and Christmas, they kick our butts. The best thing we've made in years was The Carnage Returns and I still don't think it was on the level of some of their shows. I think our beat builders is great, but the rest is eh. Heres one of their street shows, for example-

HHN,

Last edited:
Notice all those shows I linked to in my above post are special events. HHN, and Christmas, they kick our butts. The best thing we've made in years was The Carnage Returns and I still don't think it was on the level of some of their shows.
You are misinterpreting the word and what constitutes "entertainment" and a "show". Sure the Carnage is one of only 2 stage shows at HHN, but the ENTIRE EVENT is a show, filled with live actors and it evolves over time.

That's what a show is to me. It doesn't have to be a 20-25 minute scripted stage show. Everything to do with Mardi Gras, HHN and the Christmas stuff is one giant show.

Reactions: GAcoaster
I'd argue nearly all the street shows they do, in USF at least, are all pretty dang good save for the Food Truck one.

Although I've never been in one of the Singapore houses, I strongly believe that their scare zones and stage shows are far better than ours.

You are misinterpreting the word and what constitutes "entertainment" and a "show".
That's what a show is to me. It doesn't have to be a 20-25 minute scripted stage show. .

So I believe that Singapore puts on a better park-wide HHN show than Orlando does. Same goes for USJ's & USS Christmas. I love Grinchmas, and I think that is quality entertainment and fits at IOA, on the other hand I don't think Macy's cuts it anymore compared to the other Studio Parks. It's probably very neat to walk into Singapore while it's snowing on the streets of New York and such. Just my opinion.

Speaking of the food truck show, i'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but those same guys do a free-style rap show at Disney Springs. It's almost identical in style and ironically, it's performed right next to the Food Trucks:

They tend to work Universal during the day, Disney at night.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Speaking of the food truck show, i'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but those same guys do a free-style rap show at Disney Springs. It's almost identical in style and ironically, it's performed right next to the Food Trucks:

They tend to work Universal during the day, Disney at night.

Yeah, that's common with CMs/TMs. Ironically I swear that our bar tender at Tambu Lounge during the day was a stilt walker in the Mardis Gras parade later in the day!

Visited Alton towers in the UK last week, My respect for that park has increased significantly. The issues they face, while still bringing world class coasters to the UK is awesome, i admit, i had written it off as a cheap universal. In many ways it is. However the fireworks, laser, lightshow finale on the saturday evening was THE BEST fireworks display ive seen (sorry Uni, Disney) and their iconic soundtrack was a big part of that. And the fact they re-recorded it with the Budapest orchestra just for this!

I never realised before their amazing soundtracks for nearly every major ride, incorporated into the finale.
Give it a watch, im sure IOA could attempt something similar?

P.s the round thing with lights/lasers on is an old dissused funfair ride, which was repurposed with leds,lights,laser and fireworks and looked awesome! they could surely install a 'hidden' version by the lake in IOA, couldn't they?

In my humble opinion, Universal is certainly lacking in terms of shows. T2 3D is pretty good, and my personal favorite is Beetlejuice (although the newest version is horrendous).

I read an awesome idea here on the forums (might have been a rumor), I couldn't find it so kudos to that person. What if Universal developed a live Back to the Future show? It was supposed to depict the epic clock tower scene from the end of the movie. Obviously this would work on the backlot tour in Hollywood, but if the Fear Factor area could be restructured then maybe there's enough room?

This would be something similar to Lights, Motors, Action! in terms of visuals, I assume. What do you all think?