2013 Food & Wine Festival | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

2013 Food & Wine Festival

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I also hit up Food & Wine on Saturday. Tried multiple places and everything was really good. It can get pricey, but we normally go to Germany, so honestly, we probably spent the same amount that we would normally spend there.

Izzy, had I known you were going to be there on Sat, maybe we could have arranged a mini OU meetup. We were there among the maddening crowds as well.
There were definitely a lot of people there (I don't remember the last time I parked in Explore!), but we only felt uncomfortable in the Germany bottleneck and the last half hour of the night when all of the lines were jammed w/ people getting their last drinks of the night.

Most of the new dishes we tried were pretty good, with the Beef Burgeon being the king in my books. It was every bit as good as the recipe my old-school French instructor taught me in culinary school. Also quite tasty was the Pork Belly in Brazil; many people don't know how to prepare it properly, so it's usually either mushy or dry as a bone. Theirs had a nice sear but was fork tender.

Wasn't too keen on the Garlic Shrimp (Oz) or Lemongass Curry (Singapore). The rapini w/ the shrimp was quite bitter and the I didn't taste a lick of lemongrass in the Curry (the primary flavor was coconut). If you're in the mood for curry, go w/ the curry pockets at the permanent Joy of Tea stand; pretty good and a good value (2 for $3.95).

I will mirror what Izzy and Hockeyman said about the prices. They've gone up (again) from the previous year. When you end up spending as much for sampling as you would for a full meal at a signature dining restaurant, there's a problem. I get the feeling that's the point, but per guest spending probably would be higher in aggregate if individual samples were a little more reasonable. There were countless items I passed on that I would have been interested in had they been priced as a sample and not an entree. As much as I've always loved the Canadian Cheese soup, $4.25 for a 3 oz sample is pretty inexcusable. I'll just make it myself next time I get a craving.

Another thing I noticed is it seems there's now more beer and liquor than wine. I count 57 wines but 68 non-wine alcoholic drinks (46 beer, 22 liquor). There are more stands w/ beer-only alcoholic drinks than wine-only. Take that as you will, but I think this has resulted in a change in clientele over the years, as well as the behavior of the crowds. I definitely observed a lot of people buying only alcohol and no food, which got to be quite annoying at some of the more popular stands (Germany, Belgium, Mexico, Hops & Barley). I would love a "food-only" line to expedite the wait for those of us who don't drink.

And Sister Hazel, once again, had a couple of amazing sets. They're definitely my favorite group, and a pleasure to see live. Can't wait to see them again next year.

Looks like we'll be going again for my birthday as Dennis DeYoung will be there; Styx is one of my guilty pleasures.

I was there this past Saturday too :lol: it was an OU day there.

Got there in the afternoon and made it our dinner. Lines weren't all that bad, 5 - 10 mins the most. But we use a different strategy, one of us in line at one booth, the other at another, and we get two things at a time we try and share. Works great instead of hitting each booth one by one. The longest line I had was at the Hops and Barley booth.

But I agree, Mongo Beef in China was great.

Also if your a Chase bank member make sure to check out the Chase lounge that is in the American Adventure Pavilion, a place to relax in the AC with charging stations and bathrooms but the best part were the Coke Freestyle machines they had in there and was totally free :happy:

Also if your a Chase bank member make sure to check out the Chase lounge that is in the American Adventure Pavilion, a place to relax in the AC with charging stations and bathrooms but the best part were the Coke Freestyle machines they had in there and was totally free :happy:

I was looking all over for it. Is it in the food court area or the lobby? Also, they had another (unadvertised) perk: reserved seating for the concerts. They were in the back, so provided you get inline early enough, you can get better seats. That being said, we didn't make it there in time to get a normal seat for Sister Haxel's first set, so I appreciated this section. Front row for the other sets, so Chase section not needed.

I was looking all over for it. Is it in the food court area or the lobby? Also, they had another (unadvertised) perk: reserved seating for the concerts. They were in the back, so provided you get inline early enough, you can get better seats. That being said, we didn't make it there in time to get a normal seat for Sister Haxel's first set, so I appreciated this section. Front row for the other sets, so Chase section not needed.

The entrance was to the right of the entrance to the American Adventure doors to enter the lobby for the show. It was kind of hidden and had a little sign with a little temporary que, once you walked in you had to take the elevator to the 3rd floor or hike up the stairs. We just wanted to check it out since its not often we get to go up there and was worht it once we discovered the free Coke Lifestyle machines :lol:

Holy cow! Glad I was HHN! It wasn't that busy. I'd have had a freak out!

I only had one thing from the F&W festival.. the venison sausage. Venison is my fave

Hmmm... getting ready to cancel my chase account. Oh well, a lounge is not worth the fees they slapped on to my account without telling me.

Hmmm... getting ready to cancel my chase account. Oh well, a lounge is not worth the fees they slapped on to my account without telling me.

But you get free soda :pound:

Just cancel your account and all you need to do is show them your bank card or they might even take a check book I would guess. They have no clue if the account is active or anythgin.

Just cancel your account and all you need to do is show them your bank card or they might even take a check book I would guess. They have no clue if the account is active or anythgin.

:lol: - Very true

It is an account I very rarely use (hence why they started the fee on me) and so I will have to see if I can even find the card.

They've got me for the triple play (mortgage, CC and auto loan), so I know how you feel. I suppose technically the lounge isn't free as our interest payments and fees are helping to pay for it.

- - - Updated - - -

So, you're advocating fraud?

Went to the fest this past week and had a great time. Such a difference going on a weekday! Booth lines were a breeze and the food was quite good. It's pricey if you hit a lot of booths so be prepared to spend. Highlights were the trout (& soup) in Canada, kimchi dog in Korea and banofee dessert in Scotland.

Flower and Garden 2014 news.

With just a few weeks to go before the opening of the 2014 Flower and Garden Festival, and thanks to a heads up from DFB reader Linda, we have the full list of menus for the super popular Outdoor Kitchens!

Disney-Food-Blog-Epcot-Flower-and-Garden-Festival.jpg

These kiosks, which are reminiscent of the Marketplace Booths that dominate the Epcot Food and Wine Festival, feature delicious small plates that allow you to taste fresh flavors from the garden.

Frozen-Desert-Violet-Lemonade-521x625.jpg

We Loved This Violet Lemonade at the 2013 Flower and Garden Festival!
There are lots and lots of new things to try. One new booth will debut — Urban Farm Eats — while we say Auf Wiedersehen to the German-inspired Bauernmarkt for 2014. (Let’s hope it’s back next year!)

Without further adieu, let’s get to it!

NEW!: Urban Farm Eats

This year, a brand new booth, Urban Farm Eats, debuts with Land-grown produce and the best of farm-raised fish.

2014 Menu

Pickled beet salad with goat cheese cream, mizuna and pistachios
Land-grown eggplant “scallop” with romesco sauce and spaghetti squash (TRYit!)
Ghost pepper-dusted tilapia with crisp winter melon slaw and mint oil featuring The Original Sauce Man’s Kick It Up Rub
Cucumber lemon spa water, finished with a sprig of fresh mint
The Vegan Vine Chardonnay
The Vegan Vine Cabernet Sauvignon
Redbridge Gluten-Free Sorghum Beer, Anheuser-Busch (St. Louis, Missouri)
Intermissions Cafe

Visit Intermissions Cafe at Festival Center for a jump start on fresh flavors before heading out to visit the Outdoor Kitchens!

Beet-Lollipop-Push-Up-425x625.jpg

Last Year’s Beet Lollipop – Push Up. Can’t Wait to Try the New Caprese Version!
2014 Menu

Grapes
Fruit & Cheese Plate
Vegan Trio
Southwest Chicken Wrap
Tuna Salad with Pita
Side Salad
Asian Tuna Salad with Noodles
Caprese Push-Pop — Tomato, Mozzarella, and Balsamic (TRYit! Selection)
Hurricane Class 5 White Sangria, Florida Orange Groves (St. Petersburg, Florida)
Garda Italian Wine Blend, Quantum Leap Winery (Orlando, Florida)
Rogue Valley Pinot Noir, Quantum Leap Winery (Orlando, Florida)
Martini Prosecco
Strongbow Cider, Bulmers Cider Company (White Plains, New York)
SweetWater Blue, SweetWater Brewing Company (Atlanta, Georgia)
Pineapple Promenade

Back for a second year, this is your chance to enjoy Dole Whip in lots of different ways — including toppers of Myer’s Dark Rum or Parrot Bay Coconut Rum! I can’t wait for this one!

Dole-Whip-with-Spiced-Rum-at-Epcot-Flower-and-Garden-Festival-534x625.jpg

Dole Whip with Spiced Rum at the 2013 Epcot Flower and Garden Festival
And don’t miss the Violet Lemonade!

2014 Menu

Dole Whip
Dole Whip with Myer’s Dark Rum
Dole Whip with Parrot Bay Coconut Rum
Sweet Potato Cinnamon Waffle with Dole Whip (TRYit! Selection)
Frozen desert violet lemonade featuring Simply Lemonade (nonalcoholic)
Tropical Mango Pale Ale, St. John Brewers (U.S. Virgin Islands)
Once Upon a Vine’s The Lost Slipper Sauvignon Blanc
Buttercup Cottage

The best of the United Kingdom meets Florida seasonal flavors. This is a fun new take on the delicious tradition of afternoon tea.

Potato-Chive-and-Cheddar-Cheese-Biscuit-with-Smoked-Salmon-Tartare-and-Sour-Cream-600x531.jpg

Potato, Chive and Cheddar Cheese Biscuit with Smoked Salmon Tartare and Sour Cream from 2013
We’re also looking forward to the all new lineup of drink options here!

2014 Menu

Freshly Baked Potato and Cheddar Cheese Biscuit with Smoked Salmon Tartare
Field Greens with Plant City Strawberries, Toasted Almonds, and Farmstead Stilton (TRYit! Selection)
Pork and Apple Sausage Roll with House-Made Piccalilli
Freshly Baked Lemon Scones with Berry Preserves and Crème FraÎche
Chilled Rose Blush Lemonade Featuring Simply Lemonade
Twinings® Cold Brewed English Classic with Lemongrass Syrup
Berry Tea Cocktail — Twinings Cold Brewed Mixed Berry Tea with Florida Cane Vodka and Plant City Strawberry, Flavored with Raspberry and Açaí Syrup
Iron Horse Fairy Tale Cuvee
Deloach Pinot Noir
Fleur de Lys

Sample delicious dishes inspired by fresh produce and the traditional flavors of French haute cuisine

La-Vie-en-Rose-Frozen-Slush-Grey-Goose-Vodka-Orange-St.-Germain-liquor-with-White-and-Red-Cranberry-Juice-525x625.jpg

La Vie en Rose Frozen Slush (Grey Goose Vodka Orange, St. Germain liquor with White and Red Cranberry Juice)
2014 Menu

Gnocchi Parisien à la Provençal – Parisian-style Dumplings with Vegetables and Mushrooms
Confit de Canard, Pommes de Terre Sarladaise – Pulled Duck Confit with Garlic and Parsley Potatoes
Macaron à la Fleur d’ Oranger – Orange Blossom Macaron with White Chocolate Ganache (TRYit! Selection)
La Vie en Rose frozen slush – Vodka, Grey Goose Orange, St. Germain Liquor, and White and Red Cranberry Juice
Kir Imperial – Sparkling wine, Chambord and Black Raspberry Liquor
Rosé Pamplemousse Cocktail – Rosé Wine Mixed with Natural Grapefruit Syrup
Kronenbourg Blanc 1664 – Fruity White Beer with Citrus Notes
Taste of Marrakesh

Always an exotic stop on our travels around World Showcase, a Taste of Marrakesh is back with some tried and true favorites.

photo-5-004.jpg

Baghrir (Moroccan pancake with honey, almonds and Argan Oil)
2014 Menu

Lamb brewat roll with prunes and sesame
Harissa chicken kebab with couscous salad
Baghrir – Moroccan pancake with honey, almonds and argan oil
Mint iced tea
White sangria
Guerrouane red
Casa Beer
Desert Rose — Sparkling Wine with Pomegranate Liqueur
Hanami

Frushi — a fusion of fruit and sushi — was the hit of this Outdoor Kitchen last year!

Frushi-Fresh-strawberries-pineapple-and-cantaloupe-rolled-with-coconut-rice-atop-a-raspberry-sauce-sprinkled-with-toasted-coconut-and-whipped-cream-600x452.jpg

Frushi (Fresh strawberries, pineapple and cantaloupe rolled with coconut rice, atop a raspberry sauce sprinkled with toasted coconut and whipped cream)
Stop by and see what’s new and what else is returning.

2014 Menu

Frushi – Fresh pineapple, strawberries and melon, rolled with coconut rice, topped with raspberry sauce, sprinkled with toasted coconut and served with whipped cream on the side
Temaki hand roll – Sliced Panko fried chicken, curry sauce, rice and pickled julienne carrots wrapped with Nori
Hanami sushi – A flavorful combination of salmon, scallop and beef-topped rice balls served atop a shiso violet sauce (TRYit! Selection)
Japanese puffed rice cakes with green tea whipped cream and azuki
Kirin draft beer
Pineapple Paradise with Yuzu Slushie – Frozen blend of sweet sake, pineapple juice and crème, flavored with a hint of Yuzu citrus juice
Orange Mango Slushie – Frozen blend of Nigori sake, mango and orange juice
The Smokehouse: Barbecues and Brews

Another fan favorite from 2013, The Smokehouse at the America Pavilion is a true, homegrown favorite.

Pulled-Pig-Slider-with-Cole-Slaw-600x537.jpg

Pulled Pig Slider with Cole Slaw
And this year — Bacon Cupcakes!!!

2014 Menu

Pulled pig slider with cole slaw
Smoked beef brisket with collard greens and jalapeño corn bread
Smoked turkey “rib” (TRYit! Selection)
“Piggylicous” bacon cupcake with maple frosting and pretzel crunch featuring Nueske’s® Applewood Smoked Bacon
Magic Hat #9, Magic Hat Brewing (South Burlington, Vermont)
Maduro, Cigar City Brewing (Tampa, Florida)
Fat Tire, New Belgium Brewing Company (Ft. Collins, Colorado)
Billy’s Chilies, Twisted Pine Brewing Company (Boulder, Colorado)
Beer Flight – Magic Hat #9, Maduro, Fat Tire and Billy’s Chilies
The Original Rib Shack Red Wine
Primavera Kitchen

For a fresh take on Italian fare and plenty of fantastic Italian wine and beer, you’ll want to check out Primavera Kitchen.

Beer-Flight-of-the-three-beers-offered-600x469.jpg

Italian Beer Flight from 2013
2014 Menu

Caprese – Fior di latte mozzarella, roasted peppers and olio verde
Three cheese manicotti – Egg pasta stuffed with ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, tomato sauce and béchamel
Torta di ricotta – Lemon cheesecake with limoncello-marinated strawberries
Placido Pinot Grigio
Placido Chianti
Bosco del Merlo Prosecco
White peach bellini – Prosecco and white peach puree
Strawberry rossini – Prosecco and marinated strawberries
Frozen Italian primavera – Assorted fruit slushy with limoncello and vodka
Moretti Lager
Moretti La Rossa
Lotus House

We loved the Candied Strawberries and Bubble Tea at last year’s festival — they were a great, refreshing way to Snack Around the World!

Beijing-Style-Candied-Strawberries-600x488.jpg

Beijing-Style Candied Strawberries Return to the Lotus House
2014 Menu

Beijing-style candied strawberries
Spring pancake with grilled chicken and green apple
Vegetable spring rolls
Popping Bubble Tea
Kung Fu Punch – Vodka and triple sec with mango and orange juice
South Sea Storm – Guava juice with light and dark rum
Plum wine
Tsing-Tao beer
Lychee aerated water
Jardin de Fiestas

The food and drink of Mexico always rates high on our list!

Tequila-Flight-Tequila-Blanco-Reposado-and-Anejo-600x450.jpg

Tequila Flight: Tequila Blanco, Reposado, and Anejo
We can’t wait to try the all-new menu at the Jardin de Fiestas Outdoor Kitchen.

2014 Menu

Tacos al pastor – Corn tortilla filled with achiote-marinated pork, garnished with grilled diced pineapple, onions and cilantro
Quesadilla de hongos con queso – Flour tortilla filled with mushrooms and cheese
Flan de chocolate Abuelita – Mexican chocolate custard
Tecate draft beer
White Mexican sangria
Franbuesa (raspberry) margarita on the rocks
Tequila flight – blanco, reposado and añejo
Florida Fresh

Celebrating the fresh bounty of the Sunshine State, be sure to check out Florida Fresh for the amazing Watermelon Salad, as well as a dizzying array of homegrown wine and beer.

Watermelon-Salad-600x456.jpg

Watermelon Salad
2014 Menu

Watermelon salad with pickled onions, BW Farm baby arugula, feta cheese and balsamic reduction
Shrimp and stone ground grits with andouille sausage, sweet corn, tomatoes and cilantro
Florida kumquat pie (TRYit! Selection)
Watermelon passion fruit slush featuring Simply Lemonade®
Hurricane Class 5 White Sangria featuring Simply Lemonade, Florida Orange Groves (St. Petersburg, Florida)
Garda Italian Wine Blend, Quantum Leap Winery (Orlando, Florida)
Rogue Valley Pinot Noir, Quantum Leap Winery (Orlando, Florida)
Blonde Ale, Orlando Brewing Company (Orlando, Florida)
Cotton Mouth Belgian Style Witbier, Swamp Head Brewery (Gainesville, Florida)
Feast of Flowers Farmhouse Ale, Florida Beer Company (Cape Canaveral, Florida) – Festival Exclusive!
Florida Avenue Blueberry, Cold Storage Craft Brewery (Tampa, Florida)
Beer Flight – Blonde Ale, Cotton Mouth Belgian Style Witbier, Feast of Flowers Farmhouse Ale and Florida Avenue Blueberry
Simply Orange
There are so many new and exciting additions to this year’s lineup, and we can’t wait to try each and every one of them and tell you all about it!

What are you looking most forward to at this year’s Flower and Garden Festival? Leave a comment and let us know your thoughts!

Source: http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2014/02/16/news-2014-epcot-flower-and-garden-festival-full-food-menus/

That post was just epic. Thank you Jake. I had the Vie en Rose slushie. My head was spinning.

:drool:

I'd like to go try some of those dishes and drinks (...who am I kidding... all of them, if I was rich), but I'd rather wait until Food & Wine. I always have family or friends in town that time of the year and we end up going to Disney anyways, so... but I'm tempted, though :lol: