Wonder Woman 1984 (DCEU) | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Wonder Woman 1984 (DCEU)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'll preface this by saying I still haven't seen the movie, but saying that just because something isn't as bad as Justice League or Suicide Squad doesn't mean a movie isn't bad. The DCEU is plagued with some pretty bad movies. Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and Shazam are probably the only good ones.
I’ve maintained that the best DCEU films are about as good (read-“enjoyable”) as a middling Marvel film (Thor-level). This hasn’t changed that opinion.

I’ve maintained that the best DCEU films are about as good (read-“enjoyable”) as a middling Marvel film (Thor-level). This hasn’t changed that opinion.
I absolutely agree. Shazaam is my favorite by far and that just reminds me of Ant-Man (2015) as far as Marvel films in terms of tone, but at bet I'd say those movies are about equal in quality and tbh, I probably give the edge to Ant-Man.

I absolutely agree. Shazaam is my favorite by far and that just reminds me of Ant-Man (2015) as far as Marvel films in terms of tone, but at bet I'd say those movies are about equal in quality and tbh, I probably give the edge to Ant-Man.
Was just about to say that. Word I'd use to describe both is...agreeable.

EDIT: The director of Shazam is a legend when it comes to behind the scenes content, however.

Aquaman is genuinely the second or third best DC movie depending on how you feel about Birds of Prey (love or hate). I feel like Shazam would be top-half Marvel if it was in the MCU.

Gonna add on to what others say because this movie genuinely bothers me. It's like an itch on my scalp that keeps getting worse the longer I scratch at it.
It's so weird that there was simultaneously too much Barbara and not enough Barbara. They set up endless scenes where she's enjoying her newfound strength and popularity but then have her decide to be a villain offscreen.

Wonder Woman's emotional arc is supposed to be defined by her inability to give up Steve but the movie just doesn't show her struggle with it. They have one argument in the apartment but they never give her a chance to show through her actions that she can't go through with it. I think when they were in the weird weed-smoking guy's apartment, when she says something like "we can't give up our wishes," that was supposed to be setting up some kind of personal failing at the second-act break? Like Pedro Pascal gives her a chance to give up Steve and take her powers back and then she refuses, like "oh, I know you won't Diana," and then she gets beaten up by Cheetah?

Actually, here's a pitch: the weird weed-smoking guy said that the only other way to stop the stone would be to destroy it, right? Well, Max Lord said he became the stone. So maybe the scene in the White House is all about Diana trying to kill Pedro Pascal in order to stop the adverse effects of the stone. This would be a profoundly selfish thing for her to do but totally understandable given the fact that she might be able to save Steve. But then something stops her - maybe Steve himself - and Minerva is like "wtf you could've let us keep all of our wishes" and then she betrays Wonder Woman and throws her lot in with Max Lord because hey, Gordon Gekko, greed is good.

This movie really, really loves long monologues explaining things with words instead of showing them with actions. By the end, when Gadot has that big speech about truth and lies and greed at the satellite station, it honestly felt like the movie was trying to convince itself that it was deep.

The wishing stone was making up rules on the fly I swear to God. Sometimes it's a "you don't know what you're giving up" thing (Diana, Barbara), sometimes it's a Monkey's Paw "unexpected consequences" thing (the President) and sometimes it's just a hyperliteral "be careful what you wish for" thing (e.g. the british couple in the pub).

Why, why, why did they have Steve possess another guy's body like he's Pazuzu. It's not even from the comics so they don't have that excuse.

Speaking of the comics, this movie has some of the worst gratuitous "this is happening because lore" stuff I've seen in a recent superhero movie. They set up that Diana can make things invisible right before they make an invisible jet. Why. Also why did Cheetah wish to be a cat. I know she said she wanted to be an apex predator, but no, given how thrilled she appears to be, this apparently this isn't the wishing stone being awfully literal with her request, she just...literally wanted to be a cat. I wonder if she'll sing Memories in the next one.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Aquaman is genuinely the second or third best DC movie depending on how you feel about Birds of Prey (love or hate). I feel like Shazam would be top-half Marvel if it was in the MCU.

Gonna add on to what others say because this movie genuinely bothers me. It's like an itch on my scalp that keeps getting worse the longer I scratch at it.
It's so weird that there was simultaneously too much Barbara and not enough Barbara. They set up endless scenes where she's enjoying her newfound strength and popularity but then have her decide to be a villain offscreen.

Wonder Woman's emotional arc is supposed to be defined by her inability to give up Steve but the movie just doesn't show her struggle with it. They have one argument in the apartment but they never give her a chance to show through her actions that she can't go through with it. I think when they were in the weird weed-smoking guy's apartment, when she says something like "we can't give up our wishes," that was supposed to be setting up some kind of personal failing at the second-act break? Like Pedro Pascal gives her a chance to give up Steve and take her powers back and then she refuses, like "oh, I know you won't Diana," and then she gets beaten up by Cheetah?

Actually, here's a pitch: the weird weed-smoking guy said that the only other way to stop the stone would be to destroy it, right? Well, Max Lord said he became the stone. So maybe the scene in the White House is all about Diana trying to kill Pedro Pascal in order to stop the adverse effects of the stone. This would be a profoundly selfish thing for her to do but totally understandable given the fact that she might be able to save Steve. But then something stops her - maybe Steve himself - and Minerva is like "wtf you could've let us keep all of our wishes" and then she betrays Wonder Woman and throws her lot in with Max Lord because hey, Gordon Gekko, greed is good.

This movie really, really loves long monologues explaining things with words instead of showing them with actions. By the end, when Gadot has that big speech about truth and lies and greed at the satellite station, it honestly felt like the movie was trying to convince itself that it was deep.

The wishing stone was making up rules on the fly I swear to God. Sometimes it's a "you don't know what you're giving up" thing (Diana, Barbara), sometimes it's a Monkey's Paw "unexpected consequences" thing (the President) and sometimes it's just a hyperliteral "be careful what you wish for" thing (e.g. the british couple in the pub).

Why, why, why did they have Steve possess another guy's body like he's Pazuzu. It's not even from the comics so they don't have that excuse.

Speaking of the comics, this movie has some of the worst gratuitous "this is happening because lore" stuff I've seen in a recent superhero movie. They set up that Diana can make things invisible right before they make an invisible jet. Why. Also why did Cheetah wish to be a cat. I know she said she wanted to be an apex predator, but no, given how thrilled she appears to be, this apparently this isn't the wishing stone being awfully literal with her request, she just...literally wanted to be a cat. I wonder if she'll sing Memories in the next one.
I have just come to terms with the fact that I don't like the DCEU films. I want to like it, but WB can't seem to make movies I can engage with. I loved Nolan's Batman Trilogy and Joker. I can recognize that Aquaman and Wonder Woman were decent films (by DCEU standards) and were well received... but at the same point, I've never been able to sit through both of them in one sitting. I've fallen asleep trying to watch them on more than one occasion and generally I find myself not caring much about the characters.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
Yeah

I guess it just depends on what your looking for.....I guess I liked the lessons of the movie so much and knew WW could not die so to me I didn't mind the magic.....hell one some of the best DC idea's are what ifs?
In Young Justice a simulation of the world ending becomes real as Miss Martin seeing her friends act like people are really dying make everyone else feel like its really happening....making a basic exercise into something that scares the heros.....Flashpoint is about Flash going back in time and saving his mom...only to screw up the future more.

So I don't know to me this just worked, I don't need action every 5 mins to be entertained I like the characters...while Winter Solider/Civil War have great action my favorite scenes are the inbetween when characters are just talking. So I guess the film comes down to do you like the characters which I did....and since I think Aquaman/Black Panther/even End Game had Bad CGI that is just ignored and called great films its funny this film is getting so much heat....the last fight in Black Panther sucks yet most call it an amazing film. End Game last fight while fun looks so dam fake, and Aquaman at times feels like a video game....but cool we like the characters so we ignore it.

I think this film is going to be a love/hate thing. I loved it was thinking of how WW might be Trilogy people talk about later as being one of the good ones...but I guess not. To each there own, I see the issues but still enjoyed it and it feels so weird being on this side...I normally agree with a bad film is bad...but this time I just didn't see that.

Yeah

I guess it just depends on what your looking for.....I guess I liked the lessons of the movie so much and knew WW could not die so to me I didn't mind the magic.....hell one some of the best DC idea's are what ifs?
In Young Justice a simulation of the world ending becomes real as Miss Martin seeing her friends act like people are really dying make everyone else feel like its really happening....making a basic exercise into something that scares the heros.....Flashpoint is about Flash going back in time and saving his mom...only to screw up the future more.

So I don't know to me this just worked, I don't need action every 5 mins to be entertained I like the characters...while Winter Solider/Civil War have great action my favorite scenes are the inbetween when characters are just talking. So I guess the film comes down to do you like the characters which I did....and since I think Aquaman/Black Panther/even End Game had Bad CGI that is just ignored and called great films its funny this film is getting so much heat....the last fight in Black Panther sucks yet most call it an amazing film. End Game last fight while fun looks so dam fake, and Aquaman at times feels like a video game....but cool we like the characters so we ignore it.

I think this film is going to be a love/hate thing. I loved it was thinking of how WW might be Trilogy people talk about later as being one of the good ones...but I guess not. To each there own, I see the issues but still enjoyed it and it feels so weird being on this side...I normally agree with a bad film is bad...but this time I just didn't see that.

LOL... c'mon man. Whataboutism is a weak argument. Also - just because we want action in an action movie doesn't mean every 5 minutes.

Black Panther's CGI during the climactic battle was heavily criticized. Aquaman was never considered a great film - just a fun film with its fair share of scrutiny. Hell, Endgame got some flack, too - that it was all action, but it got a "pass" because it was an event film that was the period on a 20+ film arc (I've also never heard any complaints about the CGI in that film either :shrug: )

Did anyone else get a Donald Trump vibe from Max Lord?
Businessman --> TV Personality --> President
Plus other details that hint towards the comparison.

That's kind of how he is in the comics, the shrewd businessman

But I'm sure there's some brave Hollywood think piece buried in there somewhere

Last edited:
Yep. The whole thing is a thinly-veiled argument against populism.

LOL... c'mon man. Whataboutism is a weak argument. Also - just because we want action in an action movie doesn't mean every 5 minutes.

Black Panther's CGI during the climactic battle was heavily criticized. Aquaman was never considered a great film - just a fun film with its fair share of scrutiny. Hell, Endgame got some flack, too - that it was all action, but it got a "pass" because it was an event film that was the period on a 20+ film arc (I've also never heard any complaints about the CGI in that film either :shrug: )
Rotten Tomatoes has BP at a 96%...so no one really cared if the CGI last battle sucked and had no even 1/10 of the emotional weight of the fight where Kill Monger and BP fights in the middle of the film.

My point is sometimes people get all "this doesn't feel real..." when we have movies about people who fly...have metal arms and magic.

If people didn't enjoy it...cool I found Ms Marvel a boring film...but money wise made enough to not matter and looking at reviews of that film its only like 10% higher than WW84...but man does it feel like people talk very differently about those two films.

This movie was great for fans of the 70's TV show and the Super Friends cartoons of the 70's. They featured elements of both of those shows which were not part of the comic books, and my husband the super Wonder Woman fan loved them, and really liked the movie. I thought it was a little long, but overall an OK film, but once again I'm familiar with the TV show and the characters created for the cartoons.

As I stated, they needed another scene for her to tease her story wasn't done. Maybe her finding the Dreamstone back in the bunker, smiling, and cutting to black.

This movie was great for fans of the 70's TV show and the Super Friends cartoons of the 70's. They featured elements of both of those shows which were not part of the comic books, and my husband the super Wonder Woman fan loved them, and really liked the movie.

Genuine question as someone who grew up on the cartoons and live-action show--what elements? I thought a lot of the movie had the vibe of the Salkind Superman movies of that era, but didn't see anything directly culled from TV.