Will there ever be a Dark Knight area at UO? | Inside Universal Forums

Will there ever be a Dark Knight area at UO?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jan 27, 2012
UK
Hi guys/gals,

I think this is my first thread so hopefully this is in the right place, please move if not!:thumbs:

Does anyone know if there will ever be a Dark Knighted themed ride/area coming to US or IOA in the future? With such a massive movie franchise it'd be great to see an area at the parks for Batman but because of Six Flags having Batman rides I don't know if this is possible?

Really short answer: no. Short answer: very, very, very, very slim chance. There's a good chance there will be a new Batman franchise anyway in a few years after the now troubled JL movie. Others can explain in more detail other reasons one the theme park side of things (and the movie side of things as well).

It's a real shame as I think with the right theming there could be something great in it! IMHO I don't think Batman should ever be rebooted again after the Nolan series.

Oh, there is no doubt a Gotham themed world, with Batman rides, and Batman villians would be incredible! Too bad it won't happen.

I did notice the last time I went to Uni though the 'Gotham City' restrooms and it made me wonder why nothing was ever done toward Batman!

It's a real shame as I think with the right theming there could be something great in it! IMHO I don't think Batman should ever be rebooted again after the Nolan series.

After The Dark Knight Rises, it needs to be rebooted. Don't get me wrong I love Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, but TDKR was meh IMO.

Never say never.

As things go on with Disney's ownership of Marvel...lets say in twenty years if they've really put their stamp on the brand, I highly doubt Universal is going to want to be promoting the competition.

As it stands now the answer is no, but I think DC would be a good replacement for Marvel...especially since DC is owned by Warner Bros, and Warner and Uni are good buddies right now.

I've just watched the ride video at Six Flags, the intro video and the way thats set up is brilliant but the execution of the ride is awful IMO, could and should have been done so much better!

It's doubtful, but you never know. Remember, the original proposal for MSHI was DC. You can find pictures of the materials online, they sold on ebay a couple years ago. The idea was developed while the Six Flags deal was in place, so I wouldn't say the licencing agreement alone would preclude this happening. I don't know if Six Flags has the same exclusivity and perpetuity provisions w/ DC that Uni does w/ Marvel. Also, the very successful partnership between Uni and WB have had w/ HP could "grease the wheels", so to speak.

That being said, despite the licensing revenue going to their closest competitor, I think Uni is quite pleased w/ the profitability of the Marvel properties and isn't in a rush to replace. I don't think the DC characters bring quite the same level of revenue and popularity as Marvel.

Certainly nothing will happen w/ DC while Marvel is on property.

It's doubtful, but you never know. Remember, the original proposal for MSHI was DC. You can find pictures of the materials online, they sold on ebay a couple years ago. The idea was developed while the Six Flags deal was in place, so I wouldn't say the licencing agreement alone would preclude this happening. I don't know if Six Flags has the same exclusivity and perpetuity provisions w/ DC that Uni does w/ Marvel. Also, the very successful partnership between Uni and WB have had w/ HP could "grease the wheels", so to speak.

That being said, despite the licensing revenue going to their closest competitor, I think Uni is quite pleased w/ the profitability of the Marvel properties and isn't in a rush to replace. I don't think the DC characters bring quite the same level of revenue and popularity as Marvel.

Certainly nothing will happen w/ DC while Marvel is on property.

And Uni wants to cash in on the Marvel Movies, provided by their theme park competitor, I don't see them giving up leverage without major bank.

Before Marvel was Marvel, it was actually planned to be a Gotham themed island. You guys might enjoy these links:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8

Being a bigger Batman fan than I am of any of the Marvel characters, I would have preferred a Batman themed island over what we have now. Not saying that the Marvel island is bad, I would just think Batman would have been much more interesting.

this sounds SO amazing!!!!

too bad it no doubt would've been cut. Plus how many times can you have the Batman fighting the Joker before the rides get repetitive? Though I doubt if they had stuck with this land would've been fully realized, it made for an incredible read. Thanks!