What Does IOA Need? | Page 28 | Inside Universal Forums

What Does IOA Need?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

What Does IOA Need?

• IOA is amazing! They don't need to change anything!

Votes: 16 13.8%
  • IOA is fun the way it is,I wouldn't mind if tweaked it.

Votes: 74 63.8%
  • IOA definitely needs to change. But I still love it.

Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Meh.

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters
I don't understand the whole "just turn it into a dark ride" argument. Do any of you know how ridiculous that would be for Poseidon's fury? They'd have to demolish everything on the inside, it would be such a crazy conversion that it could never happen. The best way to fix it is by turning it into a 4D show with a big pre show room or converting it into something else (wonka factory tour anybody?)

I don't understand the whole "just turn it into a dark ride" argument. Do any of you know how ridiculous that would be for Poseidon's fury? They'd have to demolish everything on the inside, it would be such a crazy conversion that it could never happen. The best way to fix it is by turning it into a 4D show with a big pre show room or converting it into something else (wonka factory tour anybody?)

The other main problem with a gutting (and there isn't as much room for a dark ride as some apparently think, that space is more vertical) is you're going to confuse the hell out of guests with the same facade - repeat guests are going to assume is the same it's always been, new timers will wander in how they always did unsure of what's really inside - though at least their reasonable expectations of a ride will be met. It's just an uphill from an advertising perspective for a ride not tied to a merchandise-spewing franchise.

The other main problem with a gutting (and there isn't as much room for a dark ride as some apparently think, that space is more vertical) is you're going to confuse the hell out of guests with the same facade - repeat guests are going to assume is the same it's always been, new timers will wander in how they always did unsure of what's really inside - though at least their reasonable expectations of a ride will be met. It's just an uphill from an advertising perspective for a ride not tied to a merchandise-spewing franchise.

Exactly, you either keep posiedon the way it is or change it completely. Another remake is borderline improbable at this point

IOA needs a high capacity and extremely popular family ride, not "aspirational thrill" level but legit family friendly, no rider restrictions.

- - - Updated - - -

And more reservation-based sit down dining. Both parks need more of that.

I feel that Poseidon fit with the original vision of the park...an Adventure park where everything was not necessarily spelled out for you...a park where you could wonder into a hidden walkway or a scary temple and you never knew where it was going to take you and what was going to happen...Poseidon is one of these adventures as you didn't quite know what it was, but you knew it was going to be epic and big (which it is, or at least thinks it is)..in my opinion the attraction holds to the spirit of what IOA is all about, adventure...unfortunately instead of asking what's in there? or You all want to see what's in that temple? you get, Is this a ride? That's where the attraction works and dosen't...it promises so much but the climax is not a coaster or dark ride..it's a battle..Unfortunately I think nowadays big facade = big ride and therefore people assume this is a ride and are disappointed...

It is interesting

I think IOA needs everything that was promised in the original.

Along those lines - something needs to go into or replace the Toon amphitheater. The "Seasonal" restaurants need to be reopened. Things need to not close several hours before park close. The lagoon fireworks need to return. And someone really needs to do a thorough bulb check in Jurassic Park at night. Whole lotta burnt out walkway bulbs.

The seasonal restaurants do need to be open full time though, I've always wanted a god damn whimpy burger and the green eggs and ham sandwich is too good to drop on random days

The seasonal restaurants do need to be open full time though

Apparently, they learned a long time ago, that Whimpy's and Green Eggs were least popular during slower times. Based on that, they are correct to shut them down. So, if you want either, I suggest you go on December 27th of next year. That or take green food coloring to your next visit at perkins or dennys.

Based on my visit this week, Islands needs:

Desperately more major attractions that aren't water-based. Dudley and River Adventure were useless at absorbing crowds for people who didn't want to get wet in 60 degree (or colder) weather. Without Toon Lagoon and the only major attraction in Jurassic Park, the park just doesn't have enough to do.

Another major attraction for Jurassic Park. I hadn't realized until this trip how small and empty the Island feels now - perhaps its the losing additional acreage to Kong in conjunction with the Potter loss, but man, it really has very little to do.

Another major attraction for Seuss Landing. This is the rare area that feels fleshed out, but the park needs more family, "safe" attractions that don't include constant dangers being thrown in our faces. Another *pleasant* dark ride ala ET or Cat in the Hat is needed.

A thorough rework or replacement of Poseidon's Fury and Sinbad. Poseidon was corny and unimpressive, Sinbad (which I had not seen in a decade and was forced to remember why) was straight up embarrassing. These are the only shows in the park and the only attractions for The Lost Continent - they need to be better.

A complete refurbishment or updating of Marvel, Toon Lagoon, Cat in the Hat and the River Adventure. Marvel and Toon simply have not aged very well - they pale compared to newer Universal environments like Hogsmeade. The queue videos for all 3 major Marvel attractions, while cool in script and storytelling, scream 90s animation and simply do not hold up or garner nostalgia. Popeye is usually in good shape, but Dudley has always been unfinished and not working properly and looks every bit of it. The greater area is more aesthetically pleasing than Marvel but is still filled with dozens of completely irrelevant characters (really only Rocky & Bullwinkle, Betty Boop, & Popeye have any lasting cultural resilience). There's no easy way to fix that, but it's going to continue to be a real problem.

The River Adventure was in dire straits. The animatronics have never looked worse. They were running the ride with the second Hadrosaur stuck in the upright position for the entire trip. Both raptors were broken and barely moving. Tiffany started her motions 10 seconds too late, as did the Ultrasaur. The ride was just awkward.

Cat in the Hat is just as bad. The taming of the profile caused some real issues in the black-lit "chaos" scenes and robbed much of the others of their excitement or purpose. The animatronics are in shambles, and many effects are MIA or apparently gone for good.

The park has a lot of great attractions when running at full speed, but right now the park is in rough shape. The current roster needs a lot of work and it needs to continue to expand for Islands to truly be a world class, full day park. Kong is a great start - a seriously really great one - but they shouldn't stop there.

I'm also surprised to hear this. Maybe it's because it's the off-season now and things are heading into their refurbishment cycles so they're letting things slip? That's no excuse for shoddy showmanship, but it's an idea.

I'm also surprised to hear this. Maybe it's because it's the off-season now and things are heading into their refurbishment cycles so they're letting things slip? That's no excuse for shoddy showmanship, but it's an idea.

I think it would be good if some of the AP holders take video shorts of broken items and tweet them all over hell, including @UniversalORL in every tweet.

I think it would be good if some of the AP holders take video shorts of broken items and tweet them all over hell, including @UniversalORL in every tweet.

I was considering it, but the presence of a first timer (and my girlfriend) compelled me to do otherwise. Why mar a first experience to them by pointing out everything that's broken? That isn't to say they didn't notice, though. She commented the Ultrasaur looked "a little janky," thought the Hadrosaur looked "ridiculous," and that Imhotep I over at the studios "looked rough." This wasn't just my cynicism and years of seeing the parks - much of it just doesn't look good right now. I don't mean this to attack Universal, but really they shouldn't be running some of these rides the way they are. Mummy and Men in Black over at the Studios were also horrendously bad. Disaster's collapsing roof & truck doesn't look like it's coming back anytime soon. ET actually fared pretty well but still needs a massive cleanup.