What do Hollywood fans think of Orlando? | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

What do Hollywood fans think of Orlando?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Watching from the videos, the Universal Cinematic show just doesn't impress me. Leaves much to be desired. Like....it's one of those things where I feel that they half assed it. They added some World of Color-esk fountains but there's literally only a few of them. Which is so silly ...go big or go home!

Let's just say this: there are similar elements between both shows, but once you see the control room - there's no competition. Disney wins hands down.

Oh gosh World of Color's control room is a geek's paradise haha! Talk about state of the art!

And Bob Dylan, exactly. It was a very desperate looking move on Universal's part. They really rushed getting a new water show ready in time for the company's 100th. I wish they would've waited a year or two more and developed the concept more and made it more impressive.

If you're gonna do a similar show to Disney's, don't half ass it and make it look like a lame Chinese knock-off. Spend some time to make it more unique and impressive. Heck, I'm disappointed that they didn't try to make a BETTER show than Disney! They've been one upping Disney in the ride department for a while, so they should've try in the show dept as well.

Oh well. I went into World of Color with a Fastpass without any preconceived notions, and I definitely left very impressed. I was shocked how well it was done.

Cinematic? I don't know. All I can say is this: it's hard to beat World of Color.

Speaking of which, I actually filmed my first encounter with World last year on my iPhone. Not a great video, but if you skip to 4:05, that's when I had my moment.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/x31pcfWtSfI?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
My first time seeing WoC was a day after it premiered in 2010, so i didnt see any videos. Needless to say, I was in shock and my friend and I were in tears afterwards haha.

Jon, have you seen videos of the new Disney Dreams show from Disneyland Paris? Absolutely amazing as well! Amazing use of projection mapping on the castle, WoC fountains, water screens, and fireworks!

^ Beautifully put! I completely agree :) It's definitely disjointed and sometimes feels like a projected commercial for Disney movies, but even without an actual plot, it's quite a mouth dropping spectical, which is just what DCA needed.

What makes the Universal Cinematic show even more sad is that it's on such a huge body of water. Twice as large as DCA's. And yet the show is so...ehh.

I have not seen WOC yet not even a full show online becuase i refuse to be a So cal res thats only seen it online. LOL. That can tell u the last time i was at DCA carsland was bare lil mermaid was being built WOC was also in construction. Cant wait till i can really save up for a great trip to DCA.

I feel like there's too much hype over Cinematic Spectacular - same goes for their Superstar Parade (I think that's what it's called). Both were advertised all over the park maps when they first came to the park, but they felt like kinda cheap Disney imitations. The night show isn't as grand as you'd hope, and the parade only has 4 floats. I feel like they could've worked on something like this for a bit longer to make it a better experience, rather than push it out now and get mixed reviews.

Oh gosh, don't get me started on their SuperStar parade! Talk about over hyped! Like, the four floats they have are well detailed and cute but gosh, such a short parade! Super short! Really over hyped, especially compared to the day parade from Singapore!

And in all honesty, I'd rather have no parade than USF's parade. It's just not impressive.

Add me to the list of folks who thinks World of Color is a far superior show to Cinematic Spectacular. I know Universal Studios Orlando could have done so much more with the resources they have, but they chose to go only half the distance. I haven't seen the show in person but based on what I have seen I know that it does not appeal to me. In fact I have trouble even watching full videos of the show since I think it just gets boring after a certain amount of time.

But I have seen World of Color,  in fact I saw it twice before it even opened to the public. That show is something truely special. The story might not all be there but the show and technology succeeds better than any other at bringing out an emotional responce and creating beautiful imagery. My friends on the east coast seem to all think that Cinematic Spectacular is the most amazing thing to come to this earth since the invention of fireworks (and I respect their opinion), I just look forward to the day they visit SoCal and show them World of Color.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey yo I'm real happy for y'all and Imma let you finish, but Fantasmic! is the best nighttime water show of all time. Of ALL time.
I love Fantasmic as well :) such icon music and imagery. But they're on different levels for me! Fantasmic seems more like a stage show considering all the live elements, but I think WoC is a better multimedia show. I love them both though :)

I haven't seen any of the shows you all have mentioned. Looks like I need to make a trip to Disneyland again.

Fantasmic! never gets old. It literally hasn't aged in my opinion in 20 years! Jon, there's a certain animatronic in the show that will blow you away :)

Can you imagine a Universal version of Fantasmic?

DeLorean float on the water that zooms into the futute and leaves fire trails on the water! Jurassic Park floats! ET bike scene and forest scene! Fight scenes! Basically the current Universal Cinematic show but more physical elements!

Reactions: William
I feel like there's too much hype over Cinematic Spectacular - same goes for their Superstar Parade (I think that's what it's called). Both were advertised all over the park maps when they first came to the park, but they felt like kinda cheap Disney imitations. The night show isn't as grand as you'd hope, and the parade only has 4 floats. I feel like they could've worked on something like this for a bit longer to make it a better experience, rather than push it out now and get mixed reviews.
I wouldn't label Cinematic Spectacular as a cheap imitation. It's really something that you need to experience in person - as with all the other night time shows mentioned in this thread.

Hard to make a judgement online. Even the best videos don't convey the entire experience.

Definitely true Jon, but you can get a sense of ot. Fantasmic and WoC still look pretty fantastic and massive and immersive on video! Cinematic Spectacular....not so much. *shrug* I'm sure ill enjoy it. Just....not a lot.

Maybe the words "cheap imitation" weren't the best to use (regarding Cinematic Spectacular, at least). What I really meant was that it just doesn't seem to compare to World of Color, and it just seems kinda.. bland. I guess I really have to see it to believe it. I decided not to watch it at all during my last trip.