WDW Cuts and Upcharges | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

WDW Cuts and Upcharges

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Well I think if it was a serious thing, they would have to install MM+ podiums at every monorail station and if you are staying at on-site hotels, you get the transport for free. If not, then you'd need to buy a ticket.

However, where the real trouble with this comes into play is end of the night crowds exiting MK and Epcot. The amount of people that go to the monorail at MK at the end of the night is crazy and it backs up so far that stopping to ask people to pay would be an ops nightmare AND an insult to guests since either the monorail or ferry is necessary to get to your car. Then it just pisses people off too, it's really just a lose-lose situation.

I agree with all your points too. There is so many holes in this idea, that I believe this was never considered and TT was being sarcastic.

I first went to WDW in '71. Before EPCOT Center, when they had the lettered tickets for rides, there was a seperate ticket for transportation (you could take the ferry or the monorail).

I do not recall if it changed when you could buy an unlimited ride ticket (they had the lettered tickets and an unlimited one at the MK prior to EPCOT), but at some point when they stopped taking transportation tickets, there was a breakout on the ticket that mentioned something like $0.50 went to transportation.

What I wouldn't get about them doing this now is that I think they charge some of those DVC resorts for transportation...I'm pretty sure BLT pays for part of the monorail, but I could be wrong about how the DVC dues split out.

I was born 20 years later :peace:

I first went to WDW in '71. Before EPCOT Center, when they had the lettered tickets for rides, there was a seperate ticket for transportation (you could take the ferry or the monorail).

I do not recall if it changed when you could buy an unlimited ride ticket (they had the lettered tickets and an unlimited one at the MK prior to EPCOT), but at some point when they stopped taking transportation tickets, there was a breakout on the ticket that mentioned something like $0.50 went to transportation.

What I wouldn't get about them doing this now is that I think they charge some of those DVC resorts for transportation...I'm pretty sure BLT pays for part of the monorail, but I could be wrong about how the DVC dues split out.

From AllEars:

Tickets of the 1970's
General Admission - Allowed admission to the MK and use of all free attractions and shows in the park. Allowed transportation (use of monorail, steamboat [later called ferryboat], motor launches and trams) between the Transportation and Ticket Center (TTC) and the Magic Kingdom. Discontinued in 1980. Became 1 Day Ticket in 1981.

5 Adventure Books - These were only available to Cast Members or given out as complimentary tickets by Disney. They contained 5 tickets that were each good for any attraction.

7 Adventure Books - Allowed admission to the MK and use of all free attractions and shows in the park. Book contained 7 tickets that were good on individual rides (one A ticket, one B ticket, one C ticket, two D tickets and two E tickets). Allowed transportation (use of monorail and/or steam/ferryboat) between the Transportation and Ticket Center (TTC) and the Magic Kingdom. Introduced at park opening in 1971. Discontinued at the end of 1972.

8 Adventure Books - Allowed admission to the MK and use of all free attractions and shows in the park. Book contained 8 tickets that were good on individual rides (one A ticket, one B ticket, one C ticket, two D tickets and three E tickets). Allowed transportation (use of monorail, ferryboat, motor launches and trams) between the Transportation and Ticket Center (TTC) and the Magic Kingdom. Introduced in 1973. Discontinued in 1980.

8 Adventure MKC Books (1973-1980) - Sold exclusively to Magic Kingdom Club members during fall, winter and spring. Allowed admission to the MK and use of all free attractions and shows in the park. Book of 8 tickets, individual ones early (one each A, B and C tickets, two D tickets and three E tickets) then ones that were good on any attraction in the late '70's. Allowed transportation (use of monorail, ferryboat, motor launches and trams) between the Transportation and Ticket Center (TTC) and the Magic Kingdom. Introduced in 1973. Discontinued in 1980.

10 Adventure Books (1980) - Available to the general public for the first time. Allowed admission to the MK and use of all free attractions and shows in the park. Book contained 10 tickets that were good on any attraction except the Shootin' Gallery. Allowed transportation (use of monorail, ferryboat, motor launches and trams) between the Transportation and Ticket Center (TTC) and the Magic Kingdom. Introduced in 1980. Discontinued in 1981.

10 Adventure MKC Books (1975-1980) - Sold exclusively to Magic Kingdom Club members and only during the summer. Allowed admission to the MK and use of all free attractions and shows in the park. Book contained 10 tickets, individual ones early (one A and one B tickets, two C tickets, three D and E tickets) then ones that were good on any attraction in the late '70's. Allowed transportation (use of monorail, ferryboat, motor launches and trams) between the Transportation and Ticket Center (TTC) and the Magic Kingdom. Introduced in 1975. Discontinued in 1980.

11 Adventure Books - Allowed admission to the MK and use of all free attractions and shows in the park. Book contained 11 tickets that were good on individual rides (one A ticket, one B ticket, two C ticket, three D tickets and four E tickets). Allowed transportation (use of monorail, steamboat [later ferryboat], motor launches and trams) between the Transportation and Ticket Center (TTC) and the Magic Kingdom. Introduced at park opening in 1971. Discontinued in 1972.

12 Adventure Books - Allowed admission to the MK and use of all free attractions and shows in the park. Book contained 12 tickets that were good on individual rides (one A ticket, one B ticket, two C ticket, four D tickets and four E tickets). Allowed transportation (use of monorail, ferryboat, motor launches and trams) between the Transportation and Ticket Center (TTC) and the Magic Kingdom. Introduced in 1973. Discontinued in 1979.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all those monorail passes were back when there was only one monorail track. I would imagine a big drop in traffic if you had to pay for the EPCOT monorail.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I remember going in 1983 and we had to show our Contemporary Resort ID cards to board the trains. At the time (with the Mark IV Monorails) capacity was much lower so they HAD to limit the numbers of guests on them.

Reactions: Joel
From what I recall of using a ticket for the monorail, you only needed it for transportation to the park, you would then use a ticket to get into the park (these tickets were seperate from the lettered tickets). If you left the park and planed to return, the stamped your hand with ultra violet ink (or whatever you would call a stamp that only shows up under a black light)...your hand stamp would allow you to ride the monorail back to the park.

When leaving, I assume they figured that you got there, you must have paid already.

We only stayed on site for that first trip (I was 5 at the time) and I do not recall if the ticket was only for traveling from the TTC to MK.

Remember, tickets use to never expire, so if you had ride tickets (or you didn't care to ride any of the ticketed rides) you could get into the MK rather cheap as you only needed a tranportation ticket and a gate ticket.

CoP was free as well as If You had Wings...plus shows, fireworks, parades...there were things to do w/o ride tickets.

Reactions: JoeCamel
From what I recall of using a ticket for the monorail, you only needed it for transportation to the park, you would then use a ticket to get into the park (these tickets were seperate from the lettered tickets). If you left the park and planed to return, the stamped your hand with ultra violet ink (or whatever you would call a stamp that only shows up under a black light)...your hand stamp would allow you to ride the monorail back to the park.

When leaving, I assume they figured that you got there, you must have paid already.

We only stayed on site for that first trip (I was 5 at the time) and I do not recall if the ticket was only for traveling from the TTC to MK.

Remember, tickets use to never expire, so if you had ride tickets (or you didn't care to ride any of the ticketed rides) you could get into the MK rather cheap as you only needed a tranportation ticket and a gate ticket.

CoP was free as well as If You had Wings...plus shows, fireworks, parades...there were things to do w/o ride tickets.

That part is still true, they will honor every ticket ever sold even years later, The A-E tickets don't have value, if you have a day's admission ticket then they will let you in the park for that today.

Yup, if you stayed at the hotels, we'd stamp your hand boarding the train showing you had monorail access. (Lord, does that bring back old memories)

Reactions: GAcoaster
^ Whenever we went we always did "Magic Kingdom Club" where we'd each have a plastic card that got us in/on everything as well as paid for our meals. That was pre "Dining Plan". I still remember the first time we went in 1979 when everyone else still was using the A-E tickets for all the attractions and we just kept showing our cards and riding over and over again. Spent a LOT of time on Mr Toad!

^ Whenever we went we always did "Magic Kingdom Club" where we'd each have a plastic card that got us in/on everything as well as paid for our meals. That was pre "Dining Plan". I still remember the first time we went in 1979 when everyone else still was using the A-E tickets for all the attractions and we just kept showing our cards and riding over and over again. Spent a LOT of time on Mr Toad!
Ah, the good old days of tickets. Less frequently known, those tickets (especially "e" tickets) could be used to barter stuff around town in those days. I remember paying a bar tab in "e" tickets. (And yes, a LOT of employees simply pocketed the tickets instead of tearing them up!).

If they get good feedback, I have the feeling this will shift towards banning APs from a certain park for a couple months after a major land opens. The crowd control measures seem near-impossible, unless you're building out a HE-style queue for each land.

from what i heard when a new ride would open they would block out your tickets completely.So not only would you be blocked out for the busy season but also when ever a new ride opens.

Didn't we all talk about this survey a long time ago? I remember we all said surveys don't really mean much for either park and we shouldn't panic until we hear actual rumors of this type of change.