Wake Up Dead Man: A Knives Out Mystery | Inside Universal Forums

Wake Up Dead Man: A Knives Out Mystery

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Upsets me that Netflix has the rights to this franchise considering what a smash Knives Out was...it'll be a blast but the streaming model just stops these kinds of movies in their tracks

Upsets me that Netflix has the rights to this franchise considering what a smash Knives Out was...it'll be a blast but the streaming model just stops these kinds of movies in their tracks

How so? If anything, streaming will help keep these movies going. Audience tastes/tolerances have changed wildly after the pandemic and this kind of film may not have done well in theaters. Kenneth Branagh’s “Murder on the Orient Express” was a big hit in 2017, yet the two recent sequels both underperformed. As long as Netflix is happy with the viewership numbers and both Johnson and Craig are willing, they’ll keep making them.

How so? If anything, streaming will help keep these movies going. Audience tastes/tolerances have changed wildly after the pandemic and this kind of film may not have done well in theaters. Kenneth Branagh’s “Murder on the Orient Express” was a big hit in 2017, yet the two recent sequels both underperformed. As long as Netflix is happy with the viewership numbers and both Johnson and Craig are willing, they’ll keep making them.

When Glass Onion had its limited release in theaters, theater owners were begging Netflix to extend the run because it was doing very well in theaters and the crowds were clearly coming to it. Heck, when I saw it, it was hands down one of the most packed theaters I've been in post-pandemic. And there were smaller exhibitors who wanted to show the film, but were shut out as Netflix only wanted the bigger ones. A film like this deserves more than just a week "sneak preview", it could've held its own on a full theatrical release like the first one did.

4205bd9d4682c5dd2208113ca7f867145a944acb.gif