Volcano Bay: General Discussion | Page 51 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Because the majority of people would not "wait" 300 minutes for a waterside if they had to stand. They'd look for something else to do, leave the park, or complain to guest services. Just imagine if Flight of Passage had Tapu Tapu, the wait would be 12 hours. The lines for food would also be long and people wouldn't be able to ride anything for 12 hours.

I have no inside knowledge, but one thing I really do not know right now is how many Express passes did they sell in advance?

I mean, I heard stories about Cabanas being canceled because they would not be ready....so in my mind, I keep thinking maybe marketing was a little too good and too many people planned ahead?

I agree with you on the point that a lot of folks would not get in 300 minute line, but we are looking at a time for tapau to wait for you...as pointed out by someone, that is no different than WD's fast pass. The only difference here is that no one can ride another ride while their 'fast pass' waits for them...we don't have an option nor do we see a standby queue...but they also fit in Express at UoR.

How many folks claimed Express was promised with their hotel booking for the holiday weekend?

I mean, with the tech, they should be able to alert someone that they could chose one amongst three slides (ones that would be 20 minutes if 'standby lines exsisted) during that 300 minute wait.

Something just isn't right here. I only read around here these days, but I see photos of a park that doesn't look over crowded, a park that has more slides than either of Disney's two (from what I read here).

Something is not right! The only thing I know about Express is that they stopped selling them...but I do not know what that means!?!

Time should answer something, so I wait...but I will visit soon and see what I think!

Reactions: Miketheboss
I have no inside knowledge, but one thing I really do not know right now is how many Express passes did they sell in advance?

I mean, I heard stories about Cabanas being canceled because they would not be ready....so in my mind, I keep thinking maybe marketing was a little too good and too many people planned ahead?

I agree with you on the point that a lot of folks would not get in 300 minute line, but we are looking at a time for tapau to wait for you...as pointed out by someone, that is no different than WD's fast pass. The only difference here is that no one can ride another ride while their 'fast pass' waits for them...we don't have an option nor do we see a standby queue...but they also fit in Express at UoR.

How many folks claimed Express was promised with their hotel booking for the holiday weekend?

I mean, with the tech, they should be able to alert someone that they could chose one amongst three slides (ones that would be 20 minutes if 'standby lines exsisted) during that 300 minute wait.

Something just isn't right here. I only read around here these days, but I see photos of a park that doesn't look over crowded, a park that has more slides than either of Disney's two (from what I read here).

Something is not right! The only thing I know about Express is that they stopped selling them...but I do not know what that means!?!

Time should answer something, so I wait...but I will visit soon and see what I think!
If you want to know the problem, start the video I linked at 1:25. Just know that when the Tiki Gods eyes turn green, it's time to be launched.

If you want to know the problem, start the video I linked at 1:25. Just know that when the Tiki Gods eyes turn green, it's time to be launched.

That was filmed 6 days ago. Is it the norm or just this set of riders? Getting people to hustle is an easy fix. Can we really say based on one video from opening day that this is the problem?

Not knowing what capacity is, I can't confirm it, but that may partially explain the lines. Turning people away everyday for its first week may be more damaging than long lines.

I don't think so, shorting products creates a demand and desire. People are rightfully upset when they can't get in, but they are upset that they can't access a desirable product instead of accessing a product that they then perceive does not work and is not truly desirable.

Look no further than the AP Pandora previews. The rage for people who couldn't get in was quickly displaced by positive reviews from the AP's that did and had a pleasant time with controlled crowds.

The ultimate issue at play here comes down to capacity. Why Universal hasn't cut off capacity until things stabilize is questionable. The PR is far more valuable than a few quick bucks from guests they can't handle (and end up refunding a ton of people anyways).

There continues to be NO major failure of VB, despite a few lingering design disappointments. There is however a massive executive failure that speaks more to generalized incompetent management of understanding park operations and launching a product.

There has long been word of this issue for a number of years, the worry is Universal has been succeeding in-spite of some quite concerning leadership issues. The botched launch of VB (an actual good product at the end of the day) is our first taste.

Reactions: wizwit
Went today and it was pretty great! I'll likely do a trip review on Monday but here are some brief thoughts.

• We hit EPA rope drop at 8; simply walked over from CBBR Bayside. Easiest rope drop ever.
  • Line went fast even w TMs having to "program" each TapuTapu.
  • We went to get Krakatau Aqua Coaster(KAC), but a TM was holding everyone up right after Ohno and Ohya. Everything beyond that point was down; apparently due to a lightning strike during the storm last night.
  • Went on Ohno and Ohya which were "ride now" status. Each was about a 10 min wait.
  • When we go again on Friday, we will hit as many of these "ride now" as we can. I stopped, thinking Tapu lines would be better, but even those had ~10 min waits once we got in line.
  • Did Honu and Moana w 20 min TT wait each. Wave pool and exploring in the meantime.
  • Got a KAC TT w 80 mins. Ate a really early lunch, TT told us ride was delayed, but even then it only took about 60 mins.
  • Did Fearless River. It was packed wall to wall w tubes.
  • It is really disconcerting that these don't have clocks. TT Times jump from 20 to 5 and even go up sometimes.
  • No drop slides today, will do on Friday after a few drinks. :D
  • Boat bars are nice; blue one overlooks tube slides so that is fun.
  • 10 year old loved the kids area, which we also did during waits.
  • The theming is either awesome or unfinished. Steal beams in volcano.
  • Honu line has gorgeous view of the park, turn around and hey! some dude reving his engine on Turkey Lake.
  • Headliners were all > 60 when we left around noon. TT works great if times are below that.
  • The wrist bands are flawless. Paid, lockers, rides, all worked great.
  • Each ride has 3 - 6 Tapu stations at the front of the line. Rude people love to gather their entire party around all of them and stand there.
  • Going again on Friday w plan to hit "ride now" early, book KAC early, and get a lot more in now that we know the lay of the land.
  • This has to be confusing to the general public.
  • Pretty great morning of it tho!

I don't think so, shorting products creates a demand and desire. People are rightfully upset when they can't get in, but they are upset that they can't access a desirable product instead of accessing a product that they then perceive does not work and is not truly desirable.

Look no further than the AP Pandora previews. The rage for people who couldn't get in was quickly displaced by positive reviews from the AP's that did and had a pleasant time with controlled crowds.

The ultimate issue at play here comes down to capacity. Why Universal hasn't cut off capacity until things stabilize is questionable. The PR is far more valuable than a few quick bucks from guests they can't handle (and end up refunding a ton of people anyways).

There continues to be NO major failure of VB, despite a few lingering design disappointments. There is however a massive executive failure that speaks more to generalized incompetent management of understanding park operations and launching a product.

There has long been word of this issue for a number of years, the worry is Universal has been succeeding in-spite of some quite concerning leadership issues. The botched launch of VB (an actual good product at the end of the day) is our first taste.

Just an FYI - They have cut capacity to work out issues.

Went today and it was pretty great! I'll likely do a trip review on Monday but here are some brief thoughts.

• We hit EPA rope drop at 8; simply walked over from CBBR Bayside. Easiest rope drop ever.
  • We went to get Krakatau Aqua Coaster(KAC), but a TM was holding everyone up right after Ohno and Ohya. Everything beyond that point was down; apparently due to a lightning strike during the storm last night.
  • Went on Ohno and Ohya which were "ride now" status. Each was about a 10 min wait.
  • When we go again on Friday, we will hit as many of these "ride now" as we can. I stopped, thinking Tapu lines would be better, but even those had ~10 min waits once we got in line.
  • Did Honu and Moana w 20 min TT wait each. Wave pool and exploring in the meantime.
  • Got a KAC TT w 80 mins. Ate a really early lunch, TT told us ride was delayed, but even then it only took about 60 mins.
  • It is really disconcerting that these don't have clocks. TT Times jump from 20 to 5 and even go up sometimes.
  • Honu line has gorgeous view of the park, turn around and hey! some dude reving his engine on Turkey Lake.
  • Headliners were all > 60 when we left around noon. TT works great if times are below that.
  • Each ride has 3 - 6 Tapu stations at the front of the line. Rude people love to gather their entire party around all of them and stand there.
  • Going again on Friday w plan to hit "ride now" early, book KAC early, and get a lot more in now that we know the lay of the land.

So basically , go during the week, stay at an on site hotel and show up at early rope drop, hit the popular rides while everyone else is still having breakfast, eat lunch when the rides start having over 60 min waits, and then leave.

Sounds like a nice morning park I guess.

Reactions: Latveria and Jon84
So basically , go during the week, stay at an on site hotel and show up at early rope drop, hit the popular rides while everyone else is still having breakfast, eat lunch when the rides start having over 60 min waits, and then leave.

Sounds like a nice morning park I guess.

Pretty much, but that's how we do other parks. Did not expect it for this one though. Will try it out again and try afternoon return on Friday.

Is it possible to get in "line" with Tapu Tapu and still ride "ride now" rides, or do you have to scan for "ride now" also?
Sounds like oh ya and oh no would've been way easier if everything were up.

Rope drop is certainly the way to go... but how is that different than any theme park?

Rope drop is certainly the way to go... but how is that different than any theme park?

I guess for me the VB theme screams, relaxation, and taking things at a slower pace, rather than rushing around for rope drop. It'll calm down eventually I am sure, especially as I'm likely to visit in the off season.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
I guess for me the VB theme screams, relaxation, and taking things at a slower pace, rather than rushing around for rope drop. It'll calm down eventually I am sure, especially as I'm likely to visit in the off season.
agreed, we are staying at CBBR for 7 nights at the end of August with 3 park explorer tickets, basically we will go to VB instead of the resort pool in the afternoons for down time.

Reactions: Jon84
Well, it still can be. Walking up thousands of stairs and riding every ride isn't going to be relaxation and taking things at a slower pace, regardless of when you arrive.
"Ride count" and "relaxation" will never be synonymous.
But, as you said, if you visit late September on a Tuesday, I'm sure it'll be ideal- arrive at any time and ride what you want when you want.

Reactions: Jon84