Volcano Bay: General Discussion | Page 93 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
No, no... all complaints were dismissed as we were told they were "temporary" by a few here, remember?

I don't mind some- but it can certainly be too much of a good thing. I actually think too much takes away from the other light fixtures they have- which haven't been reported on much, but might be the best themed items in the entire park.

As a side note- we really only have two (arguably 3) active insiders on this forum that have consistently had good information- and then a handful of people that want to sound like insiders who end up with egg on their face more often than not. And they always speak in definitives- no "in my opinion" or "I think". Why they Act like that- I don't know- internet fame? :huh:

Yes - the string lights on the stair way on the Volcano are temporary. Never said that for everything else.

Most BS Cabana and Premium Seat rental system of all time. It's "first come first serve", but for the first hour of operation only hotel guests have access to the concierge booth. Day guests are literally kept standing 10 feet away from the booth but aren't allowed to access it. By the time 9 am rolls around all the amenities are sold out to the EPA guests. Screws over all day guests and AP's as you can't book in advance at all. Woke up at 6am for nothing.

Reactions: Disneyhead
Most BS Cabana and Premium Seat rental system of all time. It's "first come first serve", but for the first hour of operation only hotel guests have access to the concierge booth. Day guests are literally kept standing 10 feet away from the booth but aren't allowed to access it. By the time 9 am rolls around all the amenities are sold out to the EPA guests. Screws over all day guests and AP's as you can't book in advance at all. Woke up at 6am for nothing.
This system is temporary until all the cabanas are finished.

Reactions: Andysol and Joel
I'll revisit the question in August as I know operations are likely to change but wondering what the best strategy is during EPA. Situation...we're not locals...traveling 3,000 for a few day trip to Orlando. We have one shot at VB on a specific day in August and when pre-sales were still going on, I reserved a cabana for our family of 5. We're staying at Portofino and obviously intend on using EPA. With three kids between the ages of 7 and 12, it's about the slides. We want to maximize our riding.

Due to that, I want to maximize the time during EPA. I DO NOT want to waste time dealing with the cabana. I don't want to wait in a line to get one assigned. I don't need a tour.

Part of me assumes the best strategy is to enter the park, drop our stuff somewhere, ride slides for an hour, then go back and get the pre-reserved cabana. Since (theoretically) we don't have to worry about a sell-out thanks to pre-ordering, I would think it doesn't matter when we "check-in" for our cabana.

Any thoughts from people who've done it?

Reactions: Eckert and Andysol
^I think you have the right strategy. Make sure to prioritize the Aqua Coaster (obviously) and the Honu wave wall slide. Kids should be good to go on the Dropbox slides as long as they're not 200+lbs. Spend the morning hitting up the slides like crazy and then do more of the relaxing stuff after lunch. Maybe reserve a few slides in the evening hours once the daily afternoon thunderstorm passes by.

Go in with low expectations so that you can be blown away once you're there. It's not going to be a perfect experience, but if you make the most of the visit and plan things smartly (which it sounds like you're doing) you'll be in for a fun day.

Reactions: Eckert
I'll revisit the question in August as I know operations are likely to change but wondering what the best strategy is during EPA. Situation...we're not locals...traveling 3,000 for a few day trip to Orlando. We have one shot at VB on a specific day in August and when pre-sales were still going on, I reserved a cabana for our family of 5. We're staying at Portofino and obviously intend on using EPA. With three kids between the ages of 7 and 12, it's about the slides. We want to maximize our riding.

Due to that, I want to maximize the time during EPA. I DO NOT want to waste time dealing with the cabana. I don't want to wait in a line to get one assigned. I don't need a tour.

Part of me assumes the best strategy is to enter the park, drop our stuff somewhere, ride slides for an hour, then go back and get the pre-reserved cabana. Since (theoretically) we don't have to worry about a sell-out thanks to pre-ordering, I would think it doesn't matter when we "check-in" for our cabana.

Any thoughts from people who've done it?
Is there maybe someone in your party who won't want to do some of the more extreme slides? They could possibly check in for the cabana why all the rest of you are doing those first. Just make sure that the very first thing you do after walking into the park is get a return time for one of the big rides, before you even get situated with any of your stuff or anything.

This park seems easy to tour if you go early and bust your ass- but that's how I do all Disney parks. I ride as much as I can early because those early minutes are precious. Then I leave after lunch, then come back to the park (or another park) for dinner and the night entertainment. Universal is different as I have express, so it's a little more relaxed (and no night entertainment).

But for VB- it seems like a breeze if you have any experience touring whatsoever. Get there first thing as an on-site guest, Q for Aquacoaster or Honu (dont do drop slides yet- because the stairs would take a ton of time)- and keep riding Aquacoaster and Honu as they come up while doing all the ride now rides. Add the drop slides into the mix and gettem all done. Then, say before 11- after tearing it up for 2 hours- go ahead and queue up for a ~60 min long queue (a drop slide, coaster, honu, etc)- go grab lunch before the lines build- eat, then you're ready to ride yet again- go ride- queue up for whatever you want- and then hit the lazy river/wave pool/torrent river.
If you're in the Wave pool or one of the rivers before noon- and you're complaining about waits- then you're doing it wrong.

I think the problem stems from people:
A) Arriving at 11
B) Eating at noon
C) Queuing for the wrong attractions
D) Doing rivers and wave pool too early
Or
E) All of the above. Tell me if you've read a review like this:
Arrive at park at 11am- excited to ride first ride so I queue for one of the most popular 200 minute wait drop slides. No problem, I'll just float the river. Bored after 45 mins- I'll just go to lunch at noon. What? A 30 minute wait just to ORDER food? After lunch- I go to wave pool. FINALLY, I can Ride my first ride at 2pm- then I'm going to Queue for the aqua coaster- it's at 200 minutes also. Decide to go back to the river but after and hour and a half, my party gives up and we decide to just leave at 4pm. So we got to ride one ride for the 5 hours we were there. Volcano Bay sucks!

Meh- no sympathy here.

Last edited:
I went again last week. Things have improved. But they lowered the maximum weight on Kala and tai nui + body plunge from 300 pounds to 200 pounds. I was no longer able to ride. Not sure if this was temporary while they check some things but the main signs looked like they were altered. This made me very sad as these are arguably the best single slides in the park. I spent a minute watching the pool below for who was able to ride. If you're a toned European wearing a speedo you will most likely be able to ride. haha

Last edited:
No, no... all complaints were dismissed as we were told they were "temporary" by a few here, remember?

I don't mind some- but it can certainly be too much of a good thing. I actually think too much takes away from the other light fixtures they have- which haven't been reported on much, but might be the best themed items in the entire park.

As a side note- we really only have two (arguably 3) active insiders on this forum that have consistently had good information- and then a handful of people that want to sound like insiders who end up with egg on their face more often than not. And they always speak in definitives- no "in my opinion" or "I think". Why they Act like that- I don't know- internet fame? :huh:
Internet fame with universal news ? :lmao:I'm pretty sure if you want to be "internet famous" universal news is not the place to do it. Those people maybe just have ideas and opinions and want to be heard.

I went again last week. Things have improved. But they lowered the maximum weight on Kala and tai nui + body plunge from 300 pounds to 200 pounds. I was no longer able to ride. Not sure if this was temporary while they check some things but the main signs looked like they were altered. This made me very sad as these are arguably the best single slides in the park. I spent a minute watching the pool below for who was able to ride. If you're a toned European wearing a speedo you will most likely be able to ride. haha

easily the worst set back the park has had so far.

Reactions: SandiestPirate
easily the worst set back the park has had so far.

Well, I personally have a good way to look at that as glass half full...and it only applies to me!

August trip planned. Coming 3,000 miles across the country. One day scheduled at VB. I've been planning on dropping a few pounds for months now but you know how it goes...work, three kids, crazy life. The waistline got away from me. When I found out the weight limits dropped to 200 lbs I was motivated! Two weeks later I'm down 11 lbs already. I'm locked in. Dedicated. Going to drop the rest and ride those things!

Motivation comes from the strangest of places...
;)

Eight pack on the way!

Well, I personally have a good way to look at that as glass half full...and it only applies to me!

August trip planned. Coming 3,000 miles across the country. One day scheduled at VB. I've been planning on dropping a few pounds for months now but you know how it goes...work, three kids, crazy life. The waistline got away from me. When I found out the weight limits dropped to 200 lbs I was motivated! Two weeks later I'm down 11 lbs already. I'm locked in. Dedicated. Going to drop the rest and ride those things!

Motivation comes from the strangest of places...
;)

Reactions: Joel
This park seems easy to tour if you go early and bust your ass- but that's how I do all Disney parks. I ride as much as I can early because those early minutes are precious. Then I leave after lunch, then come back to the park (or another park) for dinner and the night entertainment. Universal is different as I have express, so it's a little more relaxed (and no night entertainment).

But for VB- it seems like a breeze if you have any experience touring whatsoever. Get there first thing as an on-site guest, Q for Aquacoaster or Honu (dont do drop slides yet- because the stairs would take a ton of time)- and keep riding Aquacoaster and Honu as they come up while doing all the ride now rides. Add the drop slides into the mix and gettem all done. Then, say before 11- after tearing it up for 2 hours- go ahead and queue up for a ~60 min long queue (a drop slide, coaster, honu, etc)- go grab lunch before the lines build- eat, then you're ready to ride yet again- go ride- queue up for whatever you want- and then hit the lazy river/wave pool/torrent river.
If you're in the Wave pool or one of the rivers before noon- and you're complaining about waits- then you're doing it wrong.

A) Arriving at 11
B) Eating at noon
Or
Arrive at park at 11am- excited to ride first ride so I queue for one of the most popular 200 minute wait drop slides. No problem, I'll just float the river. Bored after 45 mins- I'll just go to lunch at noon. What? A 30 minute wait just to ORDER food? After lunch- I go to wave pool. FINALLY, I can Ride my first ride at 2pm- then I'm going to Queue for the aqua coaster- it's at 200 minutes also. Decide to go back to the river but after and hour and a half, my party gives up and we decide to just leave at 4pm. So we got to ride one ride for the 5 hours we were there. Volcano Bay sucks!

Meh- no sympathy here.

There's certainly a right way and a wrong way of doing the parks, but they need to be more forgiving. Those with a plan will do more and have a better time, but if those without a plan are guaranteed a terrible time that presents a perception problem.

Rope dropping the water park (with the requirement of having to be on site to really get the edge) is pretty much the opposite perception of what they were marketing towards.

It seems silly, but the Eisner era thought process that guests need 8 attractions in a day to really enjoy themselves needs to apply to the bottom 90%, not just the top 10.

A) Arriving at 11
B) Eating at noon
Or

Meh- no sympathy here.

Are they doing it wrong though? I agree going early either onsite extra hour or for rope drop and riding everything you can seems to be the best way people are going on slides and also going late afternoon after rain.

However, getting up at 6am or waiting for a storm shouldn't be the only ways you get to ride the slides.

I don't think it's on the guests for having breakfast and showing up at the waterpark after. People show up at other water parks at all times of the day and don't have these wait issues.

Isn't that a problem at EVERY park?

I remember that being my stance on FastPass+ when it first came out...now, I think its very useful. It's still true that it punishes people who aren't prepared, but now that the system has been improved and I understand it better I just complain less.