Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 92 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be cool if they theme the drop box itself as Sacrificial chambers to the volcano lords. But yea the colorings of that yellow and red slides are atrocious and really ugly.

I think they're going for lava/magma with these color slides, does anyone else see that? Maybe that side of the volcano will be where the eruption goes considering it looks like that side of the volcano is "blown out".

EDIT: I just saw other people's comments about it looking like lava and I agree with those, sorry for the repetition :horse:

Last edited:
I think they're going for lava/magma with these color slides, does anyone else see that? Maybe that side of the volcano will be where the eruption goes considering it looks like that side of the volcano is "blown out".

EDIT: I just saw other people's comments about it looking like lava and I agree with those, sorry for the repetition :horse:
I think so too. Though the colors stand out now, they will probably blend in nicely.

Obviously your name says it all. But I disagree a ton with the skin and eyes thing and I can find a ton of articles to back me up, the below is just one.

Going Chlorine Free: The Pros and Cons of Salt Water Pools

We had a Chlorine pool with all this fancy stuff to prevent from putting a ton of Chlorine in, which worked, but it was still more harsh on our eyes than a salt water pool. But commercial pools tend to not have all the fancy add ons and our eyes are killed in almost all chlorine if not all chlorine pools I have been in at hotels. We never have any issues with salt water pools.

As for the feeder thing, I imagine in a SWG pool they are not used much as you can keep a salt water pool balanced easier than a Chlorine pool. Which is why at hotels when it is salt water I don't smell or feel the effects of a traditional chlorine pool. I doubt the feeders are used that much.

ETA: My daughter has never been wrong. I thought she was crazy the one time because she would only go in the one pool at this resort we were staying out. Only to find out later it was the only SWG pool on property. I thought they were all Chlorine.

I was really just trying to say that in a commercial application there is no difference between using a salt system and a ORP system with a liquid feeder or just an ORP system with a liquid feeder. Sodium chloride is the main chemical being used in both and they are outputting it the same, the only difference is that there are extra dissolved solids in the water (salt) and one is making the chlorine and injecting it while the other is just injecting it. That article is mostly accurate for residential applications other than the softness of the water and keeping chlorine at lower levels. Just adding salt to water doesn't make it softer. A water softener removes calcium from water in exchange for salt. In pools you are just adding salt to the water increasing the dissolved solids and it does nothing to the calcium levels of the water. How gentle water is on the eyes and skin has little to do with the chlorine levels and more with PH and harness levels unless the chlorine is off the charts.

For residential pools salt systems can be great and make me a lot of money. I just always try and educate the consumer before we install one so they know what they are getting. Many salesmen out there over sell the systems and make promises that the pool is chlorine free. If you do want to keep lower chlorine levels in a pool check out UV systems or even Nature2.

I've installed, maintained, repaired, and removed many commercial salt systems. They work great at what they do (generate chlorine) but the salesman told the hotel or community that it did so much more. When three years are up and the cells start going bad, usually it's can we just go back to the old way since there really isn't a difference in commercial applications.

I think talking about water treatment in a waterpark thread is spot on topic. Think of all the people you are sharing the water with and the pressure they have to vacation no matter how they feel.

The more I know about how the water is treated the better I feel about getting in the swim of things. Not that I worry about catching anything (I hang out in theme parks after all) I like to know about it so I can make an informed decision if I want to take the risk as small as it may be

Obviously your name says it all. But I disagree a ton with the skin and eyes thing and I can find a ton of articles to back me up, the below is just one.

Going Chlorine Free: The Pros and Cons of Salt Water Pools

We had a Chlorine pool with all this fancy stuff to prevent from putting a ton of Chlorine in, which worked, but it was still more harsh on our eyes than a salt water pool. But commercial pools tend to not have all the fancy add ons and our eyes are killed in almost all chlorine if not all chlorine pools I have been in at hotels. We never have any issues with salt water pools.

As for the feeder thing, I imagine in a SWG pool they are not used much as you can keep a salt water pool balanced easier than a Chlorine pool. Which is why at hotels when it is salt water I don't smell or feel the effects of a traditional chlorine pool. I doubt the feeders are used that much.

ETA: My daughter has never been wrong. I thought she was crazy the one time because she would only go in the one pool at this resort we were staying out. Only to find out later it was the only SWG pool on property. I thought they were all Chlorine.

I'd never heard of this before but the pros and cons seem pretty great to us the guests as we get all the benefits and all the cons will only affect Universal.

I was a little worried that it would be similar to being in the ocean which I hate. I've never enjoyed going to the beach but this sounds pretty great.

Salt water pools never burn my eyes which is the main reason I love them. One thing Universal could force people to do what they do like some other water parks have done and made people rinse off before entering any of the water attractions. I know any place that allows you to swim with animals in North America makes you do that to protect the animals. So why not provide the same protection for us all.

Is pool salt water the same as sea water? How many water parks in Florida have salted water? I have never heard of such a thing.

No sea water has a salinity of around 30,000 ppm of salt where most salt water pools needs 3,000 ppm for the chlorine generator to work. Instead of adding liquid chlorine to the pool the generator uses the salt in the water to make the chlorine. It's actually how liquid chlorine is manufactured in the plants but instead of buying it in a store you have a cell that when the salt water is run through the titanium plates coated with ruthenium and electricity it converts the salt water to chlorine and hydrogen gas. Don't worry about the hydrogen gas cause I've only ever hear of one issue with it.

I don't believe any water parks in Florida would have that system and if they do you wouldn't know. There are strict regulations that liquid or gas chlorine be used in conjunction with a ORP system that monitors the levels in the pool. A salt system can be used in addition to the liquid or gas with the ORP system but it isn't really cost effective or shows any additional benefits. From what I know most water parks use chlorine gas as it is the most cost effective way to get the amount of the chemical needed stored on site for use. It is only added as needed though injection methods in the equipment room when the monitoring system sees a demand.

Reactions: Macfr3ak
You must build pool systems Pete? I mean, "titanium plates coated with ruthenium"??? I have never even heard of the word ruthenium! You certainly don't sound like a pool cleaner!

You must build pool systems Pete? I mean, "titanium plates coated with ruthenium"??? I have never even heard of the word ruthenium! You certainly don't sound like a pool cleaner!
Yes I have a license that would allow me to build commercial pools. My company doesn't really get too much into pool building. We mostly do pool remodeling and a lot of repairs. We work on everything pool related and specialize in pool automation and controls. There are a lot of pools in Florida and a lot of pool companies that are not licensed or insured so a lot of false information goes around. I haven't done too much with water parks other than a few YMCA's that have a few slides and splash pads.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Follow the link in the tweet below for the picture gallery. Nice picture from a pool area in Cabana Bay giving an Idea of what you will see from the ground.

Also WildGravity travels has some new construction update photos, again follow the link in the tweet for more.

My favorite is seeing what appear to be the beginning of the outer skin of rock work for the volcano! Someone correct me if I am wrong though!

Volcano-Bay-Waterpark-Construction-Universal-Orlando-Resort-029.jpg

Last edited:
Follow the link in the tweet below for the picture gallery. Nice picture from a pool area in Cabana Bay giving an Idea of what you will see from the ground.

Also WildGravity travels has some new construction update photos, again follow the link in the tweet for more.

My favorite is seeing what appear to be the beginning of the outer skin of rock work for the volcano! Someone correct me if I am wrong though!

Volcano-Bay-Waterpark-Construction-Universal-Orlando-Resort-029.jpg

Yeah, I took this pic yesterday.

image.jpg

And I am going on record as saying those black, yellow, and red slides, I believe, will be connected to those Drop Chambers (or what ever the hell they're called) starting inside the volcano.

Sorry to bring up an old point of debate on the this thread, but a trip to my local waterparks opening weekend made me think of it. My local, slightly small, waterpark in the off season this year painted and themed all the slide supports. The park is Hawaiian themed, and now all the supports resemble palm trees and large bamboo stalks. Many of these slides and supports have been up for almost 10 years. The effect is actually really well done, especially for a small family owned park. I'll be curious to see if we see Universal go this direction at all.

Reactions: Scott W. and Mike S
I was really just trying to say that in a commercial application there is no difference between using a salt system and a ORP system with a liquid feeder or just an ORP system with a liquid feeder. Sodium chloride is the main chemical being used in both and they are outputting it the same, the only difference is that there are extra dissolved solids in the water (salt) and one is making the chlorine and injecting it while the other is just injecting it. That article is mostly accurate for residential applications other than the softness of the water and keeping chlorine at lower levels. Just adding salt to water doesn't make it softer. A water softener removes calcium from water in exchange for salt. In pools you are just adding salt to the water increasing the dissolved solids and it does nothing to the calcium levels of the water. How gentle water is on the eyes and skin has little to do with the chlorine levels and more with PH and harness levels unless the chlorine is off the charts.

For residential pools salt systems can be great and make me a lot of money. I just always try and educate the consumer before we install one so they know what they are getting. Many salesmen out there over sell the systems and make promises that the pool is chlorine free. If you do want to keep lower chlorine levels in a pool check out UV systems or even Nature2.

I've installed, maintained, repaired, and removed many commercial salt systems. They work great at what they do (generate chlorine) but the salesman told the hotel or community that it did so much more. When three years are up and the cells start going bad, usually it's can we just go back to the old way since there really isn't a difference in commercial applications.

I get what you are saying. I have talked to many pool guys. Some I like and tell me the truth, some I don't like and have no clue what they are talking about. But I have also done a lot of research on my own. We came to the conclusions salt was for us by our own research before we even met with a pool guy. We had UV at our last pool and it was OK, but honestly wasn't as good as SWG pools we have been in. Also, the maintenance to us was more of a pain than what we see we have to do with a SWG pool. As I stated, we discovered SWG pools from a swim instructor that had it (I like Teebin always thought it would taste like sea water and said no way) and then vacationing at Marriott resorts. My daughter has been in a ton of SWG pools and as I stated she prefers them (Commercial or residential). So based on actually using the two types of pools, I will always go with SWG pool. We have talked to pool guys who don't push either system and they are very clear about what parts we will have to change and how long they last. Those are the pool guys we will be working with when we build our pool. I really think when it comes to Chlorine vs. SWG that it is a preference and our family prefers SWG pools. I have done a crap load of research on this.

I would love it in more commercial pools, because again, my child will actually swim like she should and not try to keep her face out of the water because her eyes burn. I realize it is a pipe dream to have a water park SWG, but one can dream :) I realize the cost for Chlorine vs. SWG is really no different and the initial switch makes it more expensive. I never claimed it was cheaper.

It is the same with in-floor cleaning systems. They don't do the job any better than a vacuum and they are going to be way more expensive than a vacuum. But they are a personal preference for some. Some pool guys try to sell them as the latest greatest most awesome thing and other pool guys tell you it is not worth the money. We have seen both types of salesman.

Sorry to bring up an old point of debate on the this thread, but a trip to my local waterparks opening weekend made me think of it. My local, slightly small, waterpark in the off season this year painted and themed all the slide supports. The park is Hawaiian themed, and now all the supports resemble palm trees and large bamboo stalks. Many of these slides and supports have been up for almost 10 years. The effect is actually really well done, especially for a small family owned park. I'll be curious to see if we see Universal go this direction at all.

Kind of like what Scott mentioned a while back. It would be a great way to hide those supports.
5RzrUT4.jpg

My simple support theming solution.

Reactions: Mike S and Scott W.
Status
Not open for further replies.