Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 242 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the IoA music is absolutely incredible, I bet they could put out some real bangers for areas like the Monsters land and such.

In addition to original music, I'd love to hear Universal implement newly-recorded, souped-up versions of some of the pieces from the Monsters scores of the 1930s and '40s.

And if we don't hear some "Swan Lake" somewhere in the land, it will be a missed opportunity!

Sooo, you guys are still trying to make fetch (pokemon) happen I see lol. Would a year or two delay make the rush to put SNW in any of the existing parks in Orlando feasible? I personally doubt it. If they thought it would be a good business decision, they would have did that from the beginning. I feel they know putting it into a NEW park would be the BEST decision for Orlando as a WHOLE, and not just us fans/armchair CEO's. When the announced the Tokyo Olympics did they use Pokemon or Mario??? To me, Mario is much more popular and a better anchor than Pokemon. I feel it will get people into a new park faster vs any other considered IP, even potter. Even with the rumors were swirling about it replacing KZ, I felt it was better suited for a seperate gate as that would have been overkill of having your cake and eating it too (in the Studios).

Sooo, you guys are still trying to make fetch (pokemon) happen I see lol. Would a year or two delay make the rush to put SNW in any of the existing parks in Orlando feasible? I personally doubt it. If they thought it would be a good business decision, they would have did that from the beginning. I feel they know putting it into a NEW park would be the BEST decision for Orlando as a WHOLE, and not just us fans/armchair CEO's. When the announced the Tokyo Olympics did they use Pokemon or Mario??? To me, Mario is much more popular and a better anchor than Pokemon. I feel it will get people into a new park faster vs any other considered IP, even potter. Even with the rumors were swirling about it replacing KZ, I felt it was better suited for a seperate gate as that would have been overkill of having your cake and eating it too (in the Studios).

I'd argue the data does not support your argument that Mario would make a better anchor than Pokemon. I think Mario was better for the Tokyo Olympics because Pokemon as a brand is not a singular namesake character, it's a collection of characters. You also have precedent in Mario's brand because he actually has an "Olympic games" titles in his collection, and let's face it, he's WAYYY more popular than Sonic. They also have already built it's park and used it as an opportunity for promotion. Pokemon is just not even relevant to anything currently happening with the parks, Tokyo, etc.

But Pokemon as a brand is WAYYY more powerful than Mario, if not more popular.

Mario has a 15 year head start on Pokemon's earnings, but only beats out Pokemon in Video Game sales, and that's really the only segment Mario's brand has that is significant... Pokemon destroys Mario in every other earnings segment. That also means Pokemon's games are keeping pace with Mario's video game earnings over the course of it's lifetime. It's possible to say if we adjusted the date of release for both ip's and averaged and measured rate of earnings for both properties over time, Mario would just not have an edge... If not and if only very little over Pokemon in game sales, and Pokemon would still win in lifetime earnings more than two fold.

We can split hairs over where SNW should go in Orlando, but I still think a Pokemon area competitive with the industry's best and highest standards, treated with the respect that Potter or Pandora received would be much, much, much more powerful than SNW will ever be and should be treated as an anchor.

For those reasons, I'd argue SNW should replace kidzone, especially if that means it would open up time and space for a Pokemon expansion in EU.

I'd argue the data does not support your argument that Mario would make a better anchor than Pokemon. I think Mario was better for the Tokyo Olympics because Pokemon as a brand is not a singular namesake character, it's a collection of characters. You also have precedent in Mario's brand because he actually has an "Olympic games" titles in his collection, and let's face it, he's WAYYY more popular than Sonic. They also have already built it's park and used it as an opportunity for promotion. Pokemon is just not even relevant to anything currently happening with the parks, Tokyo, etc.

But Pokemon as a brand is WAYYY more powerful than Mario, if not more popular.

Mario has a 15 year head start on Pokemon's earnings, but only beats out Pokemon in Video Game sales, and that's really the only segment Mario's brand has that is significant... Pokemon destroys Mario in every other earnings segment. That also means Pokemon's games are keeping pace with Mario's video game earnings over the course of it's lifetime. It's possible to say if we adjusted the date of release for both ip's and averaged and measured rate of earnings for both properties over time, Mario would just not have an edge... If not and if only very little over Pokemon in game sales, and Pokemon would still win in lifetime earnings more than two fold.

We can split hairs over where SNW should go in Orlando, but I still think a Pokemon area competitive with the industry's best and highest standards, treated with the respect that Potter or Pandora received would be much, much, much more powerful than SNW will ever be and should be treated as an anchor.

For those reasons, I'd argue SNW should replace kidzone, especially if that means it would open up time and space for a Pokemon expansion in EU.

It really feels like the more and more you push these, in 100% honesty, ridiculous Pokémon arguments the less and less people here want to actually see Pokémon at all in Universal—let alone as an “anchor” land where Pikachu should be treated the same as Potter.

It really feels like the more and more you push these, in 100% honesty, ridiculous Pokémon arguments the less and less people here want to actually see Pokémon at all in Universal—let alone as an “anchor” land where Pikachu should be treated the same as Potter.
It is weird how this thread over the last week had indeed convinced me Mario neeeeddsss to be in EU lol. So this is accurate

Look, I'm getting tired of defending myself but honestly, no one here has the authority to call my concept ridiculous.

I get certain users have more "theme park fan forum brownie points" than I, but that doesn't give anyone talking authority on what is or isn't possible, especially when precedent has been set. "Brownie points" also makes no one here more right or wrong than others. Crazymaking is a weak argument tactic and says way more about those who set that tone for this particular discussion than I. I hope folks reading these past few pages, especially those who may want to work in the industry one day don't relegate themselves to thinking "how it should be done", over "how do I make that possible". You also always try to account for the business side of things, you have to make money, it has to make sense. I wasn't interested in Pokemon at all beyond being a product of the 90's myself until I thought about it's implications for this industry. I love Theme Parks and I want to think of what the next thing can be, the next innovative expansion, etc. I also favor Universal's approach to Disney (usually), so it's exciting to see them have something that could give them another big win.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough with how I presented my concept, maybe I wasn't clear enough on how I extrapolated the data from the numbers we have. Still no excuse for the way this has gone. Let me try and be very clear.

I wouldn't treat Pikachu the same as Potter. I'd treat the game the same as Potter.

From wikipedia:

Pokemon (100 Billion):

Established 1996

Mario (38 Billion):

Established 1981

Potter (32 Billion):

Established 1997.

I think it's downright silly to argue Pokemon should be relegated to a couple of rides and that it's not a strong contender for the Potter treatment, but I've been trying to be nice about it and stick to the data points without the attacks.

The amount of space I argue Pokemon should take up is comparable in size to combining potter in both parks into one uninterrupted land (and building smaller rides/using space a bit better). Pokemon's grossed roughly 3 times as much as Potter or Mario since it's inception. Mario also had a 15 year head start on earnings in a less competitive market. By all accounts and metrics, Pokemon is stronger than Potter and Mario, and has more earning power than both franchises combined over the same time period, and that's an irrefutable fact, no matter how anyone may feel about the property.

Let me highlight that last bit again: Pokemon has outearned Potter and Mario combined over the past 24 years.

One is clearly the winner, and is quite literally at the top of the list of all time earnings for ip's, and yes, there is precedent for every piece of tech and a land the size and scope of what I've talked about.

To date, Universal has reportedly spent close to, if not more than a billion building potter at USO.

The data clearly shows in creating an experience with Pokemon, They can comfortably afford to spend more as it should outpace both Potter and Mario with proper representation... What would that look like? I think it's obvious they lean into the game. Let us ask ourselves, What does that look like in a Theme Park?

"They won't do it that way/spend that much/you're wrong cause I said so" is not a counterargument.

If anyone here had mastery over the design of theme parks and what was possible, and was employed in the industry, they wouldn't be posting. I implore everyone to be fair and play nice. What I've bought up here may never get built, but it is not impossible, and it is not a senseless concept without thought to earnings potential or cost or guest draw.

I invite folks to speculate and wonder about the potential, especially with some of the rumors we've heard rather than join in the self-righteous denigration.

If anything, What I've seen with SNW has led me to believe Mario and DK is just set up for what they will do with Pokemon. I believe they can emulate the experience of catching and training Pokemon in a theme park setting better than Pokemon go.

Pokemon Kool Aid pusher. ;) :lol:....This is a paid commercial announcement.
EXCUSE YOU, it's not Kool Aid... it's fresh water, lemonade, berry juice, etc. Thank you very much! :lol:

Anyways, as you all carry on with this discussion, I wonder (-if- Pokemon ever appears in the parks) if they'd do some merch similar to Pandora Banshees or Star Wars droids.

• Haha
Reactions: Mad Dog
Look, I'm getting tired of defending myself but honestly, no one here has the authority to call my concept ridiculous.

I get certain users have more "theme park fan forum brownie points" than I, but that doesn't give anyone talking authority on what is or isn't possible, especially when precedent has been set. "Brownie points" also makes no one here more right or wrong than others. Crazymaking is a weak argument tactic and says way more about those who set that tone for this particular discussion than I. I hope folks reading these past few pages, especially those who may want to work in the industry one day don't relegate themselves to thinking "how it should be done", over "how do I make that possible". You also always try to account for the business side of things, you have to make money, it has to make sense. I wasn't interested in Pokemon at all beyond being a product of the 90's myself until I thought about it's implications for this industry. I love Theme Parks and I want to think of what the next thing can be, the next innovative expansion, etc. I also favor Universal's approach to Disney (usually), so it's exciting to see them have something that could give them another big win.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough with how I presented my concept, maybe I wasn't clear enough on how I extrapolated the data from the numbers we have. Still no excuse for the way this has gone. Let me try and be very clear.

I wouldn't treat Pikachu the same as Potter. I'd treat the game the same as Potter.

From wikipedia:

Pokemon (100 Billion):

Established 1996

Mario (38 Billion):

Established 1981

Potter (32 Billion):

Established 1997.

I think it's downright silly to argue Pokemon should be relegated to a couple of rides and that it's not a strong contender for the Potter treatment, but I've been trying to be nice about it and stick to the data points without the attacks.

The amount of space I argue Pokemon should take up is comparable in size to combining potter in both parks into one uninterrupted land (and building smaller rides/using space a bit better). Pokemon's grossed roughly 3 times as much as Potter or Mario since it's inception. Mario also had a 15 year head start on earnings in a less competitive market. By all accounts and metrics, Pokemon is stronger than Potter and Mario, and has more earning power than both franchises combined over the same time period, and that's an irrefutable fact, no matter how anyone may feel about the property.

Let me highlight that last bit again: Pokemon has outearned Potter and Mario combined over the past 24 years.

One is clearly the winner, and is quite literally at the top of the list of all time earnings for ip's, and yes, there is precedent for every piece of tech and a land the size and scope of what I've talked about.

To date, Universal has reportedly spent close to, if not more than a billion building potter at USO.

The data clearly shows in creating an experience with Pokemon, They can comfortably afford to spend more as it should outpace both Potter and Mario with proper representation... What would that look like? I think it's obvious they lean into the game. Let us ask ourselves, What does that look like in a Theme Park?

"They won't do it that way/spend that much/you're wrong cause I said so" is not a counterargument.

If anyone here had mastery over the design of theme parks and what was possible, and was employed in the industry, they wouldn't be posting. I implore everyone to be fair and play nice. What I've bought up here may never get built, but it is not impossible, and it is not a senseless concept without thought to earnings potential or cost or guest draw.

I invite folks to speculate and wonder about the potential, especially with some of the rumors we've heard rather than join in the self-righteous denigration.

If anything, What I've seen with SNW has led me to believe Mario and DK is just set up for what they will do with Pokemon. I believe they can emulate the experience of catching and training Pokemon in a theme park setting better than Pokemon go.
Dude, we don’t need a thesis for every Pokémon post. We get it, and most people want Pokemon represented at the parks at some point.

But it all comes down to differentiating experiences, and multiple Pokemon lands are all gonna feel the same, just like every Pokemon game basically feels the same. There’s only so much you can do with the franchise, and all of it can fit in one land.

EXCUSE YOU, it's not Kool Aid... it's fresh water, lemonade, berry juice, etc. Thank you very much! :lol:

Anyways, as you all carry on with this discussion, I wonder (-if- Pokemon ever appears in the parks) if they'd do some merch similar to Pandora Banshees or Star Wars droids.
Every single pokemon in plush....

Reactions: Allomancer

I’ve long said a gold mine would be mixing Ollivanders with the Banshee shoulder puppets where you go in and there’s a little show from a Pokemon Professor where you can pick your starter

Reactions: Nico and Allomancer

From wikipedia:

Pokemon (100 Billion):

Established 1996

Mario (38 Billion):

Established 1981

Potter (32 Billion):

Established 1997.

Ugh.

These are all just numbers on a page. Just because Pokémon has the bigger number doesn’t mean it warrants multiple lands. That’s not how theme parks work.

I’ve long said a gold mine would be mixing Ollivanders with the Banshee shoulder puppets where you go in and there’s a little show from a Pokemon Professor where you can pick your starter
That's a great idea, and of course I wouldn't complain about JoeCamel's plushies idea. Though, I must say that if it came down to it... I will fight every single one of you for a Squirtle.

Anyways, some neat interactive things could go on similar to what it seems the Mario bands are like. A little show/meet and greet with Nurse Joy to "heal" your Pokemon toys at a center in a store, etc.

From wikipedia:

Pokemon (100 Billion):

Established 1996

Mario (38 Billion):

Established 1981

Potter (32 Billion):

Established 1997.

Honestly, I’m not sure what you’re looking for. People have given their opinion. You have exhausted the argument, the thread, and seemingly some of the posters. Most of us (at least we did) agree that Pokémon should have a land of recent Universal quality. If you need more than that, I have posted on Pokémon Forums (when EU’s concept art was first released) and you may be able to garner the excitement and awe you are expecting. You’ve been a member on these forums for a decade. You must understand the vibe of this place.

From wikipedia:

Pokemon (100 Billion):

Established 1996

Mario (38 Billion):

Established 1981

Potter (32 Billion):

Established 1997.

WVSwyBw.gif

What’s ridiculous are these asinine page eating comments you keep whipping out when everybody is all well aware of your extremely strong opinions that Pokémon deserves the utmost respect, integrity and space you deem it to be worthy of.

At the end of the day, I’m sure Universal is more than capable of doing the research when it comes to these kind of choices and deciding what they think fits best for their park, even if it’s not to the level of which you believe it to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.