Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion | Page 109 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe General News & Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It's also insane how Spider-Man is still the best ride at the resort two decades later. It's that good. Great use of the ride system, great effects, great sound design, and phenomenal immersion. The only rides that might be able to top it for me are Mario Kart (nostalgia) and the Monsters Kuka Arm.

Spider-Man is one of those very special, few-in-a-lifetime attractions where everything (theme, storyline, ride system, effects) came together perfectly. It's magic. To imagine IOA (or the world of theme parks, in general) without it is unthinkable.

We've seen what happens when Universal tries to make the same ride again, and it just proves that Spider-Man is not replicable.

Spider-Man is one of those very special, few-in-a-lifetime attractions where everything (theme, storyline, ride system, effects) came together perfectly. It's magic. To imagine IOA (or the world of theme parks, in general) without it is unthinkable.

We've seen what happens when Universal tries to make the same ride again, and it just proves that Spider-Man is not replicable.
It's funny. I used to love Transformers. Then I rode Spider-Man for the first time and now I can't go back.

Wonder what discussions boards would've been like in 1997 when they saw the IOA lineup... :lol:

I'd argue the lineup didn't have a true "singlehandedly get people to plan a vacay" property, but then again there weren't exactly any available at the time.

"Everything's a cartoon and not a Universal property SMDH"

"Too many rollercoasters"

"Newspaper comics, really?"

"No Nickelodeon??"

It is striking how little of Universal is Universal properties. It does make me wish their IP library was a bit stronger sometimes.

And of course the second one we know was said, usually with "just like Six Flags!" I still don't get it.

An ip doesn't result in a good theme-park land. It can push more merch and food (important for the owner of the park) but it depends. An ip land done well served 3 groups, the non fans (hey this is fun), the casual fans (I know that building from the movie) and the super fans (did you see the squiggling Ding Dong on the second floor of that shop). If done wrong there is a big push back from a part of the casual and definitely the super fans as the execution will be perceived as wrong or lame. It still can be a good theme park land but won't pull the sales numbers the owner of the park is looking for.
For me, I'm not big into buying souvenirs or food (as I only eat 1 meal a day) so an ip is noting more than a hook for me but not definitive for being amazing or bad (except for Potter (love it), Star Wars (hate it) and Lord of the Rings (still not a theme park land).

I'd argue the lineup didn't have a true "singlehandedly get people to plan a vacay" property, but then again there weren't exactly any available at the time.

Actually, now that you mention it, you’re right…because barely anybody did buy any vacations to IOA for the first few years it was open. It was a pretty well-documented flop even before 9/11 was an issue.

Actually, now that you mention it, you’re right…because barely anybody did buy any vacations to IOA for the first few years it was open. It was a pretty well-documented flop even before 9/11 was an issue.
There's a lot of reasons why this happened, starting with the well documented "Universal Escape" problem

Many of these issues Epic will not have to face

There's a lot of reasons why this happened, starting with the well documented "Universal Escape" problem

Many of these issues Epic will not have to face

Don't underestimate Universal's ability to completely botch a marketing plan. Can't wait for whatever random marketing tagline they come up with: Universal's Epic Universe - Interactive Magical Dry Water Space-Inspired Themed Adventure Park at Universal's Site B in Universal Orlando Resort.

Kidding aside, as long as they don't overcomplicate it, they should be fine. Since Potter and Cabana Bay, they have defined themselves as a destination, not just a 1-day stop before/after your WDW trip.

As stated before, it was always centered around being the "JP Park". Obviously, as time went on, things shifted - and then they added Potter.

I'd blame it on poor marketing and Disney's stranglehold on the market before the line-up.

Reactions: DodgsonHere
As stated before, it was always centered around being the "JP Park". Obviously, as time went on, things shifted - and then they added Potter.

I'd blame it on poor marketing and Disney's stranglehold on the market before the line-up.
The poor marketing on IOA and expansion became legendary, starting with the insane name Universal Studios Escape. People asked what is it escaping from? LOL

Escape was a huge mistake, but there still wasn't a property that people see and immediately have to plan a trip for. Even today, Disney has an overwhelming stranglehold on such properties--close your eyes and pick their listed properties out of a bag and you'd likely land on one. Potter and Nintendo are the only two of that status for Universal, although that'll to be all they need. At the time of IOA's conception, they were (respectively) in utero and too risky.

Now, I've always thought the view of Universal being "a glorified Six Flags" before Potter was outrageously unfair, but it existed (and still does, I guess).

Escape was a huge mistake, but there still wasn't a property that people see and immediately have to plan a trip for. Even today, Disney has an overwhelming stranglehold on such properties--close your eyes and pick their listed properties out of a bag and you'd likely land on one. Potter and Nintendo are the only two of that status for Universal, although that'll to be all they need. At the time of IOA's conception, they were (respectively) in utero and too risky.

Now, I've always thought the view of Universal being "a glorified Six Flags" before Potter was outrageously unfair, but it existed (and still does, I guess).

Again… Jurassic Park….

This was a lot to catch up on...

Ohh ok yeah that's probably why I assumed Universal couldn't make any new Marvel stuff. It'd be shocking if Disney approved an all new Marvel attraction for their competitor but here's to hoping :toast: :pray:

There has been a rumour going around for years that any of the older staff still at Marvel are very fond of MSHI. While it seems like such an obvious home run now, Universal did take a bit of a risk using Marvel and Marvel was in a bad way at the time.

Dragons will be fine...especially since it skews to a younger demographic than even Nintendo. Young kids will absolutely love it, and so will the older kids. ...And the parents, of course, will be there with them. I'm sure the land
will get a good crowd, especially the weeks that school is out.

HTTYD has such an easy point of access. There are going to be plenty of people who might be aware but know nothing about the IP and others who know zero about it. But all you need to know is vikings and dragons.

Having 2 fun flat rides, different from anything else in the area, plus a family friendly (Although potentially the 2nd most intense coaster in the park, a few steps below Hagrid) coaster mixed with a lauded stage show doesn't hurt either.

HTTYD is the underdog land of EU and maybe guests having lower expectations when visiting will work in it's favour.

It's also insane how Spider-Man is still the best ride at the resort two decades later. It's that good. Great use of the ride system, great effects, great sound design, and phenomenal immersion. The only rides that might be able to top it for me are Mario Kart (nostalgia) and the Monsters Kuka Arm.

It's a perfect ride. Great technology aside which was mind blowing in 1999, it has such a tight and simple story. My mum is almost 70, doesn't know a single thing about Spider-Man and loves it.

When it comes to IOA's misfire of an opening, I think it's been pretty well documented how bad the whole Universal Studios Escape was. The general public legit didn't know a second theme park opened. When the GP is asking TM's in the Studios "How do we get there?" and are pointing to Dueling Dragons in the distance, and then getting irked to find out the thing they want to go to is a separate park with separate admission...that is a spectacular failure in marketing.

Its stumbling launch wasn't due to not having an IP people wanted to book vacations for. That wasn't a main focus, not until the game changed. When did the game change? When Potter came along, of course. For better or for worse, that's become the status quo. That's what folks are judging Epic Universe's IP's on, but today's standard didn't apply to IOA's opening as it didn't exist yet.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I remember being in high school reading Thrillrides.com (dating myself) and thing that stood out to me back then (and now) was that IOA was dubbed as "the worlds most technologically advance park" with the rave being about spiderman and those S.C.O.O.P. ride vehicles. we cant look at IOA by todays standards because that isn't fair. I see you guys saying they had no IP's people wanted but 30 years ago the IP's they picked were relevant. Marvel was in productions with their Xmen movies and spiderman movies, the second Jurassic park movie had came out, Dr Seuss was arguably timeless and classic even more back then and loved by all so they did have relatable content compared to what was out. But, back to the attractions lol. This was an Era where S&S space shots and turbo drops were extremely popular and sought after. A lot of people had never seen freefall towers and honestly, tower of terror still felt more like an elevator than thrill ride and no one wants to spend 140mil on that concept alone.

The way toon lagoon was described made it seemed like nothing ever experienced with it's large water attractions. looking at the rendering of that huge drop going what seemed to be underwater then popping out in a roller coaster hill was never seen by the average guest and never on that scale. The same could be say about popeyes as well.Then you had dueling dragons. The description of this ride pretty much sealed the deal for me! I think, back then they were highlighting a 12 inch threshold for the near misses and it was phenomenal seeing such a coaster outside of a traditional amusement park. THEN the preview video came out, I was floored and I said I had to get to this park lol.

Anyway, I feel that IOA was perfection in theory but with the lack of family friendly attractions (in a park with family friendly themes) hurt the park and it felt as of universal left the park to rot after 5 years or so operating. I feel the same level of conceptual design and development happening at EU. They are going for tech advance rides, classic and timeless IP's, however they are incorporating more family style attractions and the imersions they learned a result of potter. I now wonder how people will feel about EU in 30 years. . .

Don't underestimate Universal's ability to completely botch a marketing plan. Can't wait for whatever random marketing tagline they come up with: Universal's Epic Universe - Interactive Magical Dry Water Space-Inspired Themed Adventure Park at Universal's Site B in Universal Orlando Resort.

Kidding aside, as long as they don't overcomplicate it, they should be fine. Since Potter and Cabana Bay, they have defined themselves as a destination, not just a 1-day stop before/after your WDW trip.
lol True

VB had a solid build up and marketing...even though the "water theme park" moniker is debatable in our circles, it still got the word out and was presented well

Also, the marketing for Veloci has been solid

A factor to consider this go around is the power of social media which literally didn't exist when the Universal Escape was happening

Lastly, it doesn't really matter anyway as Epic has always been a response to their own growth and an anticipation of continued growth

If Universal only grows by 5 percent for a few years then Epic will *still* be very much needed simply as a stress reliever

Solid meme

Reactions: Mad Dog