Universal Studios Japan General Discussion | Page 25 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Studios Japan General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This is one of the stupider disagreements i've ever been involved in on these forums.

14.6M ≠ 30M. I don't care if TDL has two parks, there's no way you can claim that is "nearly the same". As you said, you can't tell how many people are there for a full day and who is park hopping. The vast majority of guests don't park hop no matter the park all over the world. TDL and TDS have enough to do to fill out 4 days easily.

Why does everything have to be a competition though is my larger question? Can't we just be a fan of theme parks? USJ is performing great and TDL is easily the best Disney resort. Both have lots of expansion coming. Let's enjoy the great things the parks have to offer instead of always diluting it into a battle of "who's got better numbers".

Lol I just posted my opinion on why the media was bringing it up and why its impressive. You called the TEA numbers fake despite USJ and OLC in house numbers backing them up. You don't know what the vast majority of guests do. Isn't UOR best selling pass a park hopper along with WDW? Sales say otherwise.

Secondly, competition is important. If we didn't compete with Soviet Union, do you think we would ever make it to the moon. If UOR never upped it game, do you think you would be getting Pandora and the level of detail is SWL? Competition breeds a spirit to be the best and when people feel challenged they do much better than when things are easy. That's why numbers matter.

Obviously competition is important and if you had been reading my posts you would know that I believe that. I love theme park competition (we saw what happened to WDW when they had none), but it also doesn't need to be framed as a war between the two.

We've gone quite a bit off the tracks here (much of it my fault) so :topic:

The park hopping aspect was to show that most that TDLR hit their ceiling. That the traditional theme park model isn't working for them.

I've been resisting the urge to jump in on this debate all day, but this is completely unfounded. Tokyo Disney does huge numbers, is of a product quality unparalleled in the rest of the world, and is run with an efficiency other resorts can only dream of. And this is without even getting into the unimaginable levels of guest spending that place generates, which (as much as I love USJ) completely eclipses Universal even with Potter.

I've been resisting the urge to jump in on this debate all day, but this is completely unfounded. Tokyo Disney does huge numbers, is of a product quality unparalleled in the rest of the world, and is run with an efficiency other resorts can only dream of. And this is without even getting into the unimaginable levels of guest spending that place generates, which (as much as I love USJ) completely eclipses Universal even with Potter.

That last statement is unfounded as well. See end of video for the line just for a popcorn bucket. While Disney inventory is consistent, the amount of merch moved during COOL is ridiculous.

I'm not out to get Tokyo Disneyland. Never once did I say Tokyo Disneyland was bad quality or it sucked etc. In fact, I never said anything negative about OLC.

From what I've seen, the Japanese parks (Disney & Universal)generally announce actual official attendance figures, so they wouldn't be guesses like the TEA attendance numbers are outside of Japan.

USJ dropped another piece of news today...
ユニバーサル・ジャンプ・サマー|USJ
Two new IPs will be coming this summer to Universal Jump: Gintama and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and this jump summer will be even longer. Last year lasted on 66 days these year they pushed it all the way up to 94 days. The One Piece Premier Show will be back again for its 10 year anniversary. Dragon Ball Z will still be present in the park as well. More IPs to be announced at another time.

ユニバーサル・ジャンプ・サマー|USJ
Two new IPs will be coming this summer to Universal Jump: Gintama and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and this jump summer will be even longer. Last year lasted on 66 days these year they pushed it all the way up to 94 days. The One Piece Premier Show will be back again for its 10 year anniversary. Dragon Ball Z will still be present in the park as well. More IPs to be announced at another time.
Once again, thanks for the park updates. Japan Universal info was pretty bare here before you moved to the Asia theater. :thumbsup:

Reactions: quinnmac000
Rumour: After the positive reaction from the creator of Detective Conan, it seems the head of Studio Ghibli may be willing to allow USJ to start using their IPs temporarily in the park.

This is obviously a massive leap but if this was the starting point of a working relationship between Ghibli and Universal I think I'd die and go to heaven. Just even the thought of ending up in a situation where a massive Studio Ghibli dark ride took centre stage at USJ is too much. Just imagine.

If only there were ever the possibility.

Rumour: After the positive reaction from the creator of Detective Conan, it seems the head of Studio Ghibli may be willing to allow USJ to start using their IPs temporarily in the park.

This may be a larger thing to talk about.

If the continued relationship with Universal and Ghibli improves, it could not only mean extremely exciting things for the parks, but perhaps more of a relationship on the distribution side of things in the film side. There is a lot you can decipher in this; so I'll leave it to imagination on this one.

This may be a larger thing to talk about.

If the continued relationship with Universal and Ghibli improves, it could not only mean extremely exciting things for the parks, but perhaps more of a relationship on the distribution side of things in the film side. There is a lot you can decipher in this; so I'll leave it to imagination on this one.

The big thing in my opinion is the owners/stakeholders of these IPs are really happy with what Universal is doing with their projects and others are noticing and wanting a piece of the pie. They even got to use one of the hardest and most protected IPs to use. (I'm talking Godzilla as Toho is overly protective) Universal already has distributed Ghibli films stateside (their last 4 releases for home video were through Universal) and Disney lost theatrical production stateside to Gkids due how they kept cutting their films and re-editing them in a way they didn't like. The fact Ghibli is noticing if this is fully 100% solid truth bodes well for us, theme park fans.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
ユニバーサル・ジャンプ・サマー|USJ
Once again, thanks for the park updates. Japan Universal info was pretty bare here before you moved to the Asia theater. :thumbsup:

Looks like projection mapping will be in their new night parade, projectors are appearing on roof tops around the park. Photos on ORL Park Pass