Universal Studios Florida: What Do We Think About It? | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Studios Florida: What Do We Think About It?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
USF and Epcot are very similar. Both have great attractions and experiences (Mummy, Diagon, Guardians, Soarin' etc.) but also feature outdated/horrendous attractions (F&F, Simpsons, Figment, Mission Space), mixed in with random/questionable "Why is this here?" attractions (like Rockit/Moana).

But my biggest gripe towards USF is that as a park (the physical environment, not the lineup of the park)... it's bland.

Epcot and USF both lost their central idea/theme years ago... but Disney has at least been able to make the park somewhat manageable to visit now with the hub reopened and creating some fantastic spaces just to be in. Outside of Diagon, USF is very lifeless with stale/drab buildings that have no purpose. At least Epcot has edible decently-priced food with great operations to make up for the lack of poor upkeep.

I get that USF was a studio-based park when it first opened, and it worked back then. But in 2023 there's virtually no film production occurring that guests see. Would love to see the park's entrance be transformed into a celebration of films using art deco motifs/extensions of Hollywood (like USH's redo or Beijing) instead of the current drab false studio look.

One thing Universal is doing at EU is "bringing back the park in theme park" so I hope USF gets this opportunity as there are several areas that feel dated and are miserable to walk through in the summer with the heat bouncing off the asphalt. Minion Land is a poor excuse of a land, and really needs to add features that make it feel like a Minions-themed land, and not just a soundstage with a logo and a banner or two with characters.

While I don't like the direction Epcot is headed... it lost its way years ago and I don't see them realistically turning the ship around so I can't blame them for changing course.

What the park needs is a rejuvenated facelift to finally move away from the studio environment.

My complaints towards USF also apply to DHS.

Last edited:
USF and Epcot are very similar. Both have great attractions and experiences (Mummy, Diagon, Guardians, Soarin' etc.) but also feature outdated/horrendous attractions (F&F, Simpsons, Figment, Mission Space), mixed in with random/questionable "Why is this here?" attractions (like Fallon/Moana).

But my biggest gripe towards USF is that as a park (the physical environment, not the lineup of the park)... it's bland.

Epcot and USF both lost their central idea/theme years ago... but Disney has at least been able to make the park somewhat manageable to visit now with the hub reopened and creating some fantastic spaces just to be in. Outside of Diagon, USF is very lifeless with stale/drab buildings that have no purpose. At least Epcot has edible decently-priced food with great operations to make up for the lack of poor upkeep.

I get that USF was a studio-based park when it first opened, and it worked back then. But in 2023 there's virtually no film production occurring that guests see. Would love to see the park's entrance be transformed into a celebration of films using art deco motifs/extensions of Hollywood (like USH's redo or Beijing) instead of the current drab false studio look.

One thing Universal is doing at EU is "bringing back the park in theme park" so I hope USF gets this opportunity as there are several areas that feel dated and are miserable to walk through in the summer with the heat bouncing off the asphalt. Minion Land is a poor excuse of a land, and really needs to add features that make it feel like a Minions-themed land, and not just a soundstage with a logo and a banner or two with characters.

While I don't like the direction Epcot is headed... it lost its way years ago and I don't see them realistically turning the ship around so I can't blame them for changing course.

What the park needs is a rejuvenated facelift to finally move away from the studio environment.

My complaints towards USF also apply to DHS.
The physical environment of USF is what I like the most!! New York, San Francisco, and Hollywood are such beautiful sets!
Never been a fan of the front half of Epcot. Even with the new additions, still doesn’t work for me.

I can see both perspectives.

I generally like the design work of New York, Hollywood, Springfield, and (absolutely) Diagon Alley. However, given that much of the park features attractions that I don't like/am indifferent to, it's hard for me to just let it coast along on some nice theming.

The physical environment of USF is what I like the most!! New York, San Francisco, and Hollywood are such beautiful sets!
Never been a fan of the front half of Epcot. Even with the new additions, still doesn’t work for me.
The problem is with everything in between, kinda like how Epcot is a concrete wasteland in between pavilions.

Even with nothing happening Lost Continent, at least it's a nice environment to walk through.

The problem is with everything in between, kinda like how Epcot is a concrete wasteland in between pavilions.

Even with nothing happening Lost Continent, at least it's a nice environment to walk through.

I agree there could be some things done to the park, especially a new entrance, more water features, or even additional photo ops around Minion Land - but I don't think they're going to stray away from the Studio theme. It's shifted from a "working" studio to an "imaginary" studio.

Ignoring the quality of the ride - I don't get the Fallon complaint, though. It's in NY, with a mini replica of 30 Rock. The placement makes sense?

I agree there could be some things done to the park, especially a new entrance, more water features, or even additional photo ops around Minion Land - but I don't think they're going to stray away from the Studio theme. It's shifted from a "working" studio to an "imaginary" studio.

Ignoring the quality of the ride - I don't get the Fallon complaint, though. It's in NY, with a mini replica of 30 Rock. The placement makes sense?
I get the idea of an imaginary studio (I think it could work) but there's nothing outside the Mummy & Marilyn street show in NY, Animal Actors, and Horror Makeup in Hollywood that allows that idea to work. I just think, outside of replacing some attractions, the park could use some significant enhancements to fix the atmosphere of the park.

Whoops I love Fallon (could use some Star Tours randomized sequences tho), I meant to say Rockit. I don't mind it, but it's just sitting there off to the side. I get why it was added, but now that Minions Land is open... it's just sitting there.

I get the idea of an imaginary studio (I think it could work) but there's nothing outside the Mummy & Marilyn street show in NY, Animal Actors, and Horror Makeup in Hollywood that allows that idea to work. I just think, outside of replacing some attractions, the park could use some significant enhancements to fix the atmosphere of the park.

Whoops I love Fallon (could use some Star Tours randomized sequences tho), I meant to say Rockit. I don't mind it, but it's just sitting there off to the side. I get why it was added, but now that Minions Land is open... it's just sitting there.

While the focus on presenting the park as a working studio has shifted, Hollywood and New York are still used a good amount for production. They may change out attractions, but that cityscape is gonna stay. At least DreamWorks should break the mold of "concrete".

Reactions: HHN Maddux

Several of the major original attractions for the park had nothing to do with the fact that it was a working studio, namely Jaws and Back to the Future. Even Kongfrontation only had one part of the queue that indicated you were entering a soundstage, the rest was all in universe (I believe, it was before my time).

Several of the major original attractions for the park had nothing to do with the fact that it was a working studio, namely Jaws and Back to the Future. Even Kongfrontation only had one part of the queue that indicated you were entering a soundstage, the rest was all in universe (I believe, it was before my time).
Right, but we're talking more about the park itself as an environment, not the attractions. The actual physical park itself really doesn't have much "studio production" theming outside of the soundstages. The park just needs help, especially the entrance, as it's mostly (I hate saying this) dull. It doesn't depict excitement at all. Back then it was exciting because you didn't have as many opportunities to learn about the movie-making business, but that is no longer the premise of the park.

I don't mind the soundstages, I just really want the entrance updated and the eventual removal of dated areas like FFL and Kidzone Pizza (at least the colors please).

While the focus on presenting the park as a working studio has shifted, Hollywood and New York are still used a good amount for production. They may change out attractions, but that cityscape is gonna stay. At least DreamWorks should break the mold of "concrete".
Hollywood and NY aren't the problem, mainly referring to how problematic areas like FFL, Music Plaza, Production Central, and the random "no particular area" plaza in front of AA/DreamWorks/SpongeBob are just an assortment of things not tied to any theme/idea.

Same - I love popping down on a bench or sidewalk and just taking in the atmosphere and music in NY and Hollywood!
Try doing that in the middle of summer lol

I’ve been trying to respond to this thread with some elaborate multi-paragraph post about the parks strengths and weaknesses, but here’s my conclusion:

Universal Studios Florida is fine.

Seriously, it’s fine. The rides are good, food is good, there’s lots of special events throughout the year, loads of live entertainment, and it’s got IOA right next door if you’d prefer that vibe.

People aren’t going to stop going when Epic opens. It’s my personal favorite theme park of all time. Even with all of the changes over the years, I still walk under those arches and I’m happy like it’s 2002 all over again. So many new and old memories there.

It’s FINE. As long as it brings joy to people and makes money its park mission is accomplished.

I'm once again saying USF and IOA in the summer months are BRUTAL with the lack of shade.
I know people like to dunk on Toy Story Land for the lack of shade, but that asphalt in USF can get to you, especially during HHN with black shirts on. Thankfully USF has lots of indoor attractions/shows to keep you cool.

IOA's main problem is the lack of indoor attractions/areas, outside of restaurants, you can sit for half an hour or so.

I know people like to dunk on Toy Story Land for the lack of shade, but that asphalt in USF can get to you, especially during HHN with black shirts on. Thankfully USF has lots of indoor attractions/shows to keep you cool.

IOA's main problem is the lack of indoor attractions/areas, outside of restaurants, you can sit for half an hour or so.
IoA can get pretty miserable when it rains. My last trip I got there early for Velocicoaster and ended up getting poured on during the entire ride, had to hide in the Discovery Center for over an hour afterwards until it got light enough for me to book it to Kong.

IoA can get pretty miserable when it rains. My last trip I got there early for Velocicoaster and ended up getting poured on during the entire ride, had to hide in the Discovery Center for over an hour afterwards until it got light enough for me to book it to Kong.
Yes. When it rains one needs to scoot over to USO where most everything is indoors. If and when they build Zelda to replace LC, it's incumbent that the main attraction is 'indoors'. They really need that aspect for IOA to help get it balanced. .

Not sure where to put this, but the arches need a refurb. Lots of paint peeling/cracks for the past few months... I'd imagine they will get a proper repaint/refurb sometime next year pre-Epic.

They recently replaced all of the trees between the turnstiles and the arches, so I'd imagine they're slowly working their way around the park.

Pragmatic and logistical question: how much does the rapid expansion of Universal into other projects (Las Vegas, Texas, and now Great Britain) impact their ability to stay on the front foot with a park like USF?

We already know (or hope?) that they're waiting until after Epic Universe to do anything significant at the park, but is that an Orlando-area-resources factor (i.e. construction crew availability) or a top-down resources factor (i.e. budget set by the company at the corporate level for theme park expenditures overall)? If it's the latter, does the influx of new spending coming down the road for the rest of the decade necessarily restrict the kinds of things Universal can do at USF?

DISCLAIMER: I'm excited by all the ways in which Universal is expanding the reach of its parks across the country and around the world. I think it's necessary for the company to continue to grow as a premier, world-class enterprise. I just don't want this park to continue to be lost in the shuffle (as I would argue it has been, but your mileage may vary!).

Pragmatic and logistical question: how much does the rapid expansion of Universal into other projects (Las Vegas, Texas, and now Great Britain) impact their ability to stay on the front foot with a park like USF?

We already know (or hope?) that they're waiting until after Epic Universe to do anything significant at the park, but is that an Orlando-area-resources factor (i.e. construction crew availability) or a top-down resources factor (i.e. budget set by the company at the corporate level for theme park expenditures overall)? If it's the latter, does the influx of new spending coming down the road for the rest of the decade necessarily restrict the kinds of things Universal can do at USF?

DISCLAIMER: I'm excited by all the ways in which Universal is expanding the reach of its parks across the country and around the world. I think it's necessary for the company to continue to grow as a premier, world-class enterprise. I just don't want this park to continue to be lost in the shuffle (as I would argue it has been, but your mileage may vary!).
As we saw from Euro Disney, there's the potential for international/non-related projects to indirectly impact budgets from other parks. When investing big, like Universal is doing, you can make a lot of money... or lose it all.

I'm not worried about European expansion (the demand is there) or the Frisco kid's park (as that is relatively cheap), but a concept like a year-round HHN attraction is questionable (Hollywood created multiple attempts and they never lasted more than a handful of years).

It does strain Universal Creative's ability to work on projects for USF, but I don't think Universal is interested in letting the parks stagnate... something the mouse loves to do. I'd imagine once Epic wraps up construction/theming later next year/early 2025, you'll start to see them really focus in on the current legacy parks again.