Universal Studios Florida: What Do We Think About It? | Page 29 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Studios Florida: What Do We Think About It?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think Superstar suffered from the complicated show stops that just didn't translate well initially
Superstar suffered when they killed off "HOP" for PETS. The "HOP" unit was by far the best with its drummers, pogo-stick candy boys & candy girl dancers. SpongeBob was the 2nd best due to the roller-skating fish. Dora was also great because of the FOTLK reject tumble monkeys. Minions unit offered nothing, until PETS took over as the weakest unit.

The show stops weren't complicated, they were very old-school Disney parade & only happened twice. The other great thing about Superstar only being a 4 unit parade was it allowed for street shows by HMU/Mels throughout the day too. That was a helpful gimmick for when they couldn't run the parade.

Reactions: Nico and Clive
Just come back from a 2 week trip to UOR. IOA felt busy (even though I’m sure in comparison to yearly totals, it’s probably a quiet time to go), alive and had a happy buzz about it. People looked happy and excited to be there. Found it a waste of time for my 3 year old daughter (I was aware of this before going-Disney is her time), better for my 6 year old boy who doesn’t scare easily, but again a little difficult for my 8 & 12 year olds who aren’t into speed. They enjoyed meeting Spiderman and my 8 year old was mesmerised by HP. Still worth a visit for the boys.
US did not have the same feeling. No buzz, felt very quiet and dated. Loved the left side of the park, we all agreed the San Fran area was nice to walk through after being in Disney; the open feel and character to it. The IPs of the rides though felt a bit left behind, MIB, Simpsons, etc and then the rides such as F&F could be so much better. My 12 year old loves F&F and loved seeing the cars, but as adults we could see that Universal could do an amazing ride with this IP. This ride felt so in the past even though it’s not really that old.
The place just felt like it’s in need of some new ideas. I know everything can’t be shiny and new, and there’s a lot said for nostalgia, but it’s seriously lacking a pull. My daughter could only ride the Minions land (which I expected to hit you in the face when you were in it, but it didn’t. I actually didn’t realise it was straight in front of us as we went through the gates). Unfortunately Dreamworks land wasn’t yet open, so this might have changed our viewpoint.
Loved loved loved seeing the 90s nostalgic merch as we walked through (the original neon sign) on tees etc. I think that back corner is screaming a Pokemon land, maybe a Pokemon hunt/Pokémon snap in MIB and another big, Pokémon battle modern ride in the Simpsons building. There’s got to be a Poke Center too , like a Pokemon zoo (I can dream, right?)

On a separate note, but kind of linking in, why have Universal not revisited Jaws (as in movie) with the modern imagery they have today? It would pull in a whole new generation and the previous, they could do amazing things with it now…leading to a new amazing ride. I love Twister, always have, but I’m not feeling the new film trailer, just feels like a newer version of the older, minus the characters we associate with it. I think Jaws would have had more clout, would have been a bigger jump, better story and pulled in a greater audience. I think the park is missing some nostalgia because ET is the only one holding it right now. I think an up to date, nostalgic ride would do well here.

On a separate note, but kind of linking in, why have Universal not revisited Jaws (as in movie) with the modern imagery they have today? It would pull in a whole new generation and the previous, they could do amazing things with it now…leading to a new amazing ride. I love Twister, always have, but I’m not feeling the new film trailer, just feels like a newer version of the older, minus the characters we associate with it. I think Jaws would have had more clout, would have been a bigger jump, better story and pulled in a greater audience. I think the park is missing some nostalgia because ET is the only one holding it right now. I think an up to date, nostalgic ride would do well here.
I think Universal's left JAWS alone (as a movie property) out of respect for Steven Spielberg, and because the last JAWS movie they produced is generally considered to be among the worst films ever made.

Just come back from a 2 week trip to UOR. IOA felt busy (even though I’m sure in comparison to yearly totals, it’s probably a quiet time to go), alive and had a happy buzz about it. People looked happy and excited to be there. Found it a waste of time for my 3 year old daughter (I was aware of this before going-Disney is her time), better for my 6 year old boy who doesn’t scare easily, but again a little difficult for my 8 & 12 year olds who aren’t into speed. They enjoyed meeting Spiderman and my 8 year old was mesmerised by HP. Still worth a visit for the boys.
US did not have the same feeling. No buzz, felt very quiet and dated. Loved the left side of the park, we all agreed the San Fran area was nice to walk through after being in Disney; the open feel and character to it. The IPs of the rides though felt a bit left behind, MIB, Simpsons, etc and then the rides such as F&F could be so much better. My 12 year old loves F&F and loved seeing the cars, but as adults we could see that Universal could do an amazing ride with this IP. This ride felt so in the past even though it’s not really that old.
The place just felt like it’s in need of some new ideas. I know everything can’t be shiny and new, and there’s a lot said for nostalgia, but it’s seriously lacking a pull. My daughter could only ride the Minions land (which I expected to hit you in the face when you were in it, but it didn’t. I actually didn’t realise it was straight in front of us as we went through the gates). Unfortunately Dreamworks land wasn’t yet open, so this might have changed our viewpoint.
Loved loved loved seeing the 90s nostalgic merch as we walked through (the original neon sign) on tees etc. I think that back corner is screaming a Pokemon land, maybe a Pokemon hunt/Pokémon snap in MIB and another big, Pokémon battle modern ride in the Simpsons building. There’s got to be a Poke Center too , like a Pokemon zoo (I can dream, right?)

Agree. Unlike Islands, UO is just worth during the HHN season atm, and that’s a teen+ experience.
I wish the park had a more nostalgic atmosphere rather than the weird mush of IP’s they have now. Minions and Potter can stay, they’re the money makers. Springfield is great and Simpson is a classic (specially for Latin American tourists) but the ride is outdated.
I wish more “timeless” stuff were present as rides, BTTF should come back, MIB could be replaced with Ghostbusters (with a more advanced ride system), add another ‘behind the scenes ride etc…
Maybe “Beetlejuice’s Haunted Mansion ripoff” could fit somewhere…

Reactions: GA-MBIT
I do think that parts of the OG IP lineup have become their own cohesive identity. E.T., BTTF, Jaws, Kong, Beetlejuice, Ghostbusters. These all feel distinctly "Universal Studios"-y, at least to me.

Judging by the direction of efforts like the Great Movie Escape, Mega Movie Parade, Cinesational, the various nostalgia lines of merch or tribute stores we've seen as of late, the return of Kong and Ghostbusters to the Florida parks, their insistence on keeping and updating E.T., or the way they handled Beetlejuice at HHN a few years back; I think they understand that Studios park isn't just a park about movies and IP, but about specific movies and IP with a very specific nostalgic connection and vibe.

I do think that parts of the OG IP lineup have become their own cohesive identity. E.T., BTTF, Jaws, Kong, Beetlejuice, Ghostbusters. These all feel distinctly "Universal Studios"-y, at least to me.

Judging by the direction of efforts like the Great Movie Escape, Mega Movie Parade, Cinesational, the various nostalgia lines of merch or tribute stores we've seen as of late, the return of Kong and Ghostbusters to the Florida parks, their insistence on keeping and updating E.T., or the way they handled Beetlejuice at HHN a few years back; I think they understand that Studios park isn't just a park about movies and IP, but about specific movies and IP with a very specific nostalgic connection and vibe.
E.T. is only around because of Spielberg. I hate to say this, but once he passes on, E.T. will get re-themed and absorbed into the new Dreamworks LAND. E.T. will most likely be a Shrek or Puss n Boots dark-ride.

E.T. is only around because of Spielberg. I hate to say this, but once he passes on, E.T. will get re-themed and absorbed into the new Dreamworks LAND. E.T. will most likely be a Shrek or Puss n Boots dark-ride.

Not to pivot this into a morbid conversation, and I know he’s 77, but Spielberg could easily have another 20+ years in him. And even when he passes, Universal isn’t going to go, “Finally! Time to tear down ET!”

Let’s say you’re right, Spielberg passes away ten years from now, and Universal decides it’s time to take down ET. A lot can change in a decade, where a new IP could arrive out of nowhere and be popular—I wouldn’t bet on Shrek or Puss being what replaces ET 10, 15, or 20 years from now, but something that likely doesn’t even exist yet.

As of now Spielberg is 77. So he's not passing away anytime soon. And by the time he does pass, there might be some other hot DW IP they will replace ET with. In the intern if they want to add to the DW land, they can always expand out back into the lot behind Simpsons.

Not to pivot this into a morbid conversation, and I know he’s 77, but Spielberg could easily have another 20+ years in him. And even when he passes, Universal isn’t going to go, “Finally! Time to tear down ET!”

Let’s say you’re right, Spielberg passes away ten years from now, and Universal decides it’s time to take down ET. A lot can change in a decade, where a new IP could arrive out of nowhere and be popular—I wouldn’t bet on Shrek or Puss being what replaces ET 10, 15, or 20 years from now, but something that likely doesn’t even exist yet.
I only said Shrek or Puss n Boots because E.T. is right behind Shreks swamp. It would be the most logical choice because of cohesion. But it doesn’t really matter what goes back there. That’s kinda irrelevant to my point. The point is, E.T. will get replaced someday with a DreamWorks property. Spielbergs age was irrelevant to my point as well.

Not at all. I basically said it will get replaced once he’s not around. I never once stated he’s leaving us soon. I don’t believe universal cares about legacy attractions at all.
Actually, during the Earthquake media preview - they mentioned there will be efforts to keep their legacy attractions around.

I only said Shrek or Puss n Boots because E.T. is right behind Shreks swamp. It would be the most logical choice because of cohesion. But it doesn’t really matter what goes back there. That’s kinda irrelevant to my point. The point is, E.T. will get replaced someday with a DreamWorks property. Spielbergs age was irrelevant to my point as well.
Shrek has so much potential for theme park lands that if the series gets successfully relaunched, it could warrant a land in one of the expansion pads at EU that finally does the IP justice.