Universal Orlando Resort Misc Refurbs | Page 156 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Misc Refurbs

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This isn't expansion news, but it seems we don't have a catch-all Seuss Landing thread that I could find, so I'm posting about it here: it appears that the Circus McGurkus Cafe refurbishment went quite well, and the new menu has so far gotten at least one unqualified rave review over at UPNT.

Could it actually finally become a place in which I'd want to dine? It seems possible! If anybody gets any first-hand experience with the new menu, I'd love to hear about it!

ETA: I "watch" this thread, but never got a notification that it had new posts on this subject already! Credit to @Crypt Keeper for breaking this news!

Last edited:
I love myself cause I can be a foodie, but that pizza pasta and meatball cone are my calling. Is Green Eggs and Ham still open? Seuss landing lowkey has the best food in that park outside Broomsticks and Mythos

Reactions: belloq87
This isn't expansion news, but it seems we don't have a catch-all Seuss Landing thread that I could find, so I'm posting about it here: it appears that the Circus McGurkus Cafe refurbishment went quite well, and the new menu has so far gotten at least one unqualified rave review over at UPNT.

Could it actually finally become a place in which I'd want to dine? It seems possible! If anybody gets any first-hand experience with the new menu, I'd love to hear about it!

ETA: I "watch" this thread, but never got a notification that it had new posts on this subject already! Credit to @Crypt Keeper for breaking this news!
Yes, you're right about trying to find a thread for it. I couldn't find an appropriate one when I posted the news yesterday morning, so I started a new thread for it, but the mods moved it over here (which was a good decision since the subject was too limited for a thread of it's own). Probably, like you suggested, need an overall thread for the land. and yes, I'm seeing pretty good reviews on the menu too.

Universal Orlando has reopened Circus McGurkus Cafe Stoo-pendous in Islands of Adventure after nearly a half-year refurbishment with a new look, and a new menu.

Universal Orlando has reopened Circus McGurkus Cafe Stoo-pendous in Islands of Adventure after nearly a half-year refurbishment with a new look, and a new menu.

I don't eat here often, however I do like the menu change to be more Seuss themed.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
Do they even bother to test their app?

Go thru this exercise.... Select ride - filter - only on studios (which having that long list is a pain, but OK, let me keep going) it filters nicely. Click on home, go back to ride, cool it saved my filters. Click on home, click on dining, ummmm.... why does it still show rides and not dining?!? So your filters literally trump the selection of show, ride, or dining. This is STUPID.

Do they even bother to test their app?

Go thru this exercise.... Select ride - filter - only on studios (which having that long list is a pain, but OK, let me keep going) it filters nicely. Click on home, go back to ride, cool it saved my filters. Click on home, click on dining, ummmm.... why does it still show rides and not dining?!? So your filters literally trump the selection of show, ride, or dining. This is STUPID.

I believe that’s by design.

I believe that’s by design.
So it is designed to show rides only when you click on dining? Because it shows no dining only the 14 rides. I mean if it keeps the filter it should just keep the park, but list dining instead of rides when you click on dining. I only filtered by venue when I originally clicked on rides. I didn't mean to only filter by rides, I wanted it to only be studios. Seems the design team needs to go back to the drawing board.

So it is designed to show rides only when you click on dining? Because it shows no dining only the 14 rides. I mean if it keeps the filter it should just keep the park, but list dining instead of rides when you click on dining. I only filtered by venue when I originally clicked on rides. I didn't mean to only filter by rides, I wanted it to only be studios. Seems the design team needs to go back to the drawing board.
It appears that the "Rides," "Shows" and "Dining" buttons on the Home tab just redirect you to the "Map" tab. I agree, that's not the way I'd expect it to operate either. Hitting any of those three buttons should (I think) add a new filter (like showing all the rides at Islands of Adventure, if you have IOA selected) or replace an existing one (showing all the shows at Islands of Adventure if I had previously had IOA and rides filtered). That seems like an easy fix ... but I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: kristenabelle
It appears that the "Rides," "Shows" and "Dining" buttons on the Home tab just redirect you to the "Map" tab. I agree, that's not the way I'd expect it to operate either. Hitting any of those three buttons should (I think) add a new filter (like showing all the rides at Islands of Adventure, if you have IOA selected) or replace an existing one (showing all the shows at Islands of Adventure if I had previously had IOA and rides filtered). That seems like an easy fix ... but I'm not holding my breath.
Yes, agreed those 3 buttons do the same thing once you add any kind of filter, so why 3 buttons? I really don't see too much improvement with this app and more confusion with those 3 buttons. I do see where I now as premier have actual ways for my pass to be scanned. I probably won't use it as the lanyard for express with young kids is super easy. But that is a plus. The map does look better, but still no directions.

Hopefully they fix some of the things, I really like that the venue filter holds as you move thru the app, but is pointless if it doesn't change between rides, shows, and dining.

Apparently it was to coincide with the new app release.

Quoting myself from another thread since this is relevant…

Just for giggles decided to act like someone who got the app and is going to look for the map for the first time.

While it's great you can get to the map in one tap here's what you see first and then when you zoom in:

uniappmap.png

You know who has a slightly better experience compared to this? Freakin' SeaWorld!

swappmap.png

At least you can easily name where you're at right away. I'll also say it's more pleasant to look at over the orange icons at first glance but that's a personal design critique.

In Universal's app you have to do all sorts of extra tap dancing to navigate where in SW's it feels like there's fewer steps needed. The Directions feature in their (SW's) app is also very handy—I used it a few times on my recent trip.

One thing physical maps have going for it is the space to list more information at an overall glance than the apps can cover without becoming cluttered or doesn't result in a lot of extra tapping and scrolling. If Universal is going to completely do away with traditional maps (or at the very least make them less easily accessible) then the virtual experience needs some polishing. And still have paper maps available.

I'll say this for any park: An app should optionally enchance the vacation experience, not require its usage.

Some of the things I mentioned earlier are actually addressed with this new update!

newappv6.jpgnewappv6-2.jpg

The icon sizes need some work to be smaller for the attraction number. It's more helpful and nicer to look at than before, the color-coded sections really help separate the lands in each park.

It definitely appears like a bug. If you have no filters and use the buttons from the Home tab it can work like you'd expect. The problem looks like it's related to some caching issues going on whenever it's changing what you're seeing on the screen depending on whether or not you've already used a filter; it doesn't properly clear the first filter before trying to add the new one. Should be an easy fix.

I do like it over the previous version. Hopefully they'll release an update sooner than later.

Apparently it was to coincide with the new app release.

Quoting myself from another thread since this is relevant…

Some of the things I mentioned earlier are actually addressed with this new update!

View attachment 20682View attachment 20681

The icon sizes need some work to be smaller for the attraction number. It's more helpful and nicer to look at than before, the color-coded sections really help separate the lands in each park.

It definitely appears like a bug. If you have no filters and use the buttons from the Home tab it can work like you'd expect. The problem looks like it's related to some caching issues going on whenever it's changing what you're seeing on the screen depending on whether or not you've already used a filter; it doesn't properly clear the first filter before trying to add the new one. Should be an easy fix.

I do like it over the previous version. Hopefully they'll release an update sooner than later.
100% agree the map is way better than before.

I also think it is a bug, but I still don't understand how this was not caught in testing. It was literally the 3rd thing in the app that caught this bug. Maybe because I have to test my own code I would test better than the GP, but I surely they should have caught this themselves in testing. You should always have two rounds of testing. The person who codes it does unit testing and then you pass it over to the QA testers. Someone between the two should have easily spotted this bug.